Blinker cancel feature working again

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

AlexG

Blinker cancel feature working again

#1 Post by AlexG » Mon May 22, 2017 10:16 pm

Hi to all, for whatever is worth:

The turn signal cancel feature of my RZ was a hit and miss, with no apparent reason for working or not. Annoying but not critical, so it stayed in the background.

Two days ago, I got the typical case of light staying on instead of blinking, which was traced to a semi-corroded front lamp that did not make good contact. Cleaned the receptacle, bulb, added some Radio Shack lubricant/cleaner, and got it to work again.

Interestingly, the cancel feature works every time now.

Any comments?

AlexG

RuZty
-----
-----

Re: Blinker cancel feature working again

#2 Post by RuZty » Mon May 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Mine had given up for some time, like a couple of years, and then my speedo started to squeal. I stuck the straw of the cable lube can up the cable hole and gave it a good shot and the squealing went away and the self canel started working again too.

AlexG

#3 Post by AlexG » Tue May 23, 2017 7:27 pm

The cancel feature works from the speedo, to detect after how many yards/meters to cancel. I believe it is 200 yards. after the bike started to move. Quite clever in my opinion. You must have touched the pickup and accidentally aligned it.

RuZty
-----
-----

#4 Post by RuZty » Tue May 23, 2017 11:15 pm

Or the reed switch was stuck and getting bathed in lube freed it up, that was my assumption.

RuZty
-----
-----

#5 Post by RuZty » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:38 am

I just took a speedo apart and the reed switch is in a glass tube which sits close to a magnet driven by the speedo cable. The magnet has a gap so it will release the reed switch after 1 revolution. I have no idea how spraying lube in there made this start working again.