LED turn signal question

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

Sitnlow4life

LED turn signal question

#1 Post by Sitnlow4life » Wed May 10, 2017 9:07 am

I searched a little bit and found this thread which has alot of good information.

viewtopic.php?p=99907" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quick rundown of my situation....

1990 F2

Bought LED bulbs for the stock signal housings.
When I installed one bulb and attempted to use the signal I got a solid light , no flashing .

Found above thread and replaced the flasher with an LED model from auto parts store.

The flasher I purchased was a 3 terminal model .

It's terminals are as follows....
Battery
Ground
Load

I plugged it into the stock oem plug and used the cancel lead as a ground to the frame .

Boom light works and signals properly.

I installed the other bulbs and when I went to test functionality, the left side signals properly but when I signal right all 4 bulbs flash .

Wtf !

Any ideas ?

Thanks again
Todd
1990 RZ350 with Toomey Pipes and Vforce Reeds

RuZty
-----
-----

Re: LED turn signal question

#2 Post by RuZty » Wed May 10, 2017 11:38 pm

I'm to tired right now to dig into it too deeply but I think the stock system relies on the combined load of the signals and the indicator lights on the dash to separate the two sides. Since you have reduced the load with LEDs you have upset the balance. Look at a wiring diagram and it might make sense, I think nokturnal posted something on this on his last build thread a few years ago. You will probably need to put resistors in line with the LED bulbs to fix it.

waltmil

#3 Post by waltmil » Thu May 11, 2017 6:30 am

Sounds like you might have an open ground connection on the right side. LEDs are very low current devices and it doesn't take much to trigger a flash.
Red/White US '84, Spec II pipes, Y-boot w/K&N, Fox Shock, Mikuni carbs?

TCRZ88

#4 Post by TCRZ88 » Thu May 11, 2017 9:40 am

When I changed to a digital flasher unit, I had to pull the 2 outside pins from the connector and reverse them in order for it to work.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
Live long, and smoke 'em if you got 'em!

kjellz

#5 Post by kjellz » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:42 pm

Update;
The solution seemes to have been waiting right here;
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10151&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to RuZty.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I had the excat same thing happening to mine and have not resolved it yet. (1990 YPVS 2UA)
That is, I am now running an Electronic LED flasher relay, but I need to keep one standard bulb along with one LED bulb for each set of turn signal lamps.
If I try all LED - all 4 will flash independant of which direction is chosen on the hand control switch.

I haven't dug into the schematics yet either. I am confident there is a logical solution and a fix. Something for the off-season to figure out then, unless someone beats me to it on here :-)
----------------------------------
RD350 YPVS 1990
F2 converted to N2 Red/white 1986 - Figaroli pipes