No power valve cycling

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

Zixxer10R

No power valve cycling

#1 Post by Zixxer10R » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:22 pm

The power valves on my '85 RZ350 won't cycle when I turn on the ignition. I've done the check suggested in the manual of applying power to the two terminals indicated and the servo motor functions. Do I need a new CDI?

justind97

Re: No power valve cycling

#2 Post by justind97 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:38 am

Have you tried physically turning the pulley to see if it starts to cycle. Mine is currently doing the same thing. I'm thinking it's the PV controller

3264tony

#3 Post by 3264tony » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:14 am

Also worth checking the fuse hasn't blown in the fuse box for the YPVS side of things.

MK

#4 Post by MK » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:59 pm

No stock CDI involved with this.

Check the fuse.
Measure the brown cable at the PV controller with ignition on. Does it have 12V against ground?
If yes it's most likely the PV controller with a faint chance for a faulty servo.
(Actually I haven't seen one that does not turn at all)

If you plan to repair/ replace the stock unit, my advice is either a Zeeltronic or Ignitech all in one CDI and PV controller. Not much more budget, but around +5 hp even in bare stock engines with appropriate settings of PV actuation & ignition.
Bye
Martin

Zixxer10R

#5 Post by Zixxer10R » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:30 pm

justind97 wrote:Have you tried physically turning the pulley to see if it starts to cycle. Mine is currently doing the same thing. I'm thinking it's the PV controller
I haven't tried turning the pulley with the ignition on. I've only applied power to the servo motor to see if it works, and it does.

Zixxer10R

#6 Post by Zixxer10R » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:31 pm

3264tony wrote:Also worth checking the fuse hasn't blown in the fuse box for the YPVS side of things.
I've checked all the fuses and they are good.

Zixxer10R

#7 Post by Zixxer10R » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:47 pm

MK wrote:No stock CDI involved with this.

Check the fuse.
Measure the brown cable at the PV controller with ignition on. Does it have 12V against ground?
If yes it's most likely the PV controller with a faint chance for a faulty servo.

If you plan to repair/ replace the stock unit, my advice is either a Zeeltronic or Ignitech all in one CDI and PV controller. Not much more budget, but around +5 hp even in bare stock engines with appropriate settings of PV actuation & ignition.
I haven't tried that yet, but will now. I've noticed "Brown" is the color of all things 12V on RZ's. The rear of the bike was FUBARed with rear turn signals not working at all. I thought it might have been the flasher, but it was just confused connections of same type bullet connectors and even just loose unconnected wires. That's straighten out now. I've been looking for a source for a Zeeltronic. Do know of one?

I got the bike from my son for Father's Day. He had it for a couple years and didn't do anything with it.
BTW, thanks for all the comments by everyone so far.

MK

#8 Post by MK » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:21 pm

I always wonder why http://www.zeeltronic.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is so hard to type.
If it would be http://ignitech.cz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you'd at least have to know it's .cz ....
Bye
Martin

Zixxer10R

#9 Post by Zixxer10R » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:26 pm

MK wrote:No stock CDI involved with this.

Check the fuse.

Ich hab' gerade gemerkt wo Sie leben. Schoen guten Tag. Are you in the Army?

Ok, es wird immer mehr schrecklich. I do have 12V ignition power to the YPVS control Control Unit. That's good, but there are four wires, two brown and two black, coming out the other end of that connector that have been cut off.(?) Before I impugn someone's heritage, is this normal or some kind of "Smokey Yunick speed secret"? There are other wires coming from a wire bundle that go to the Servo Motor too which I assume are supposed to energize the motor. To test the YPVS Control Unit, the manual says to disconnect a wire, reconnect the coupling, start the engine and run it up to 7,000 RPM. Since the engine doesn't run, I can't do that test.

MK

#10 Post by MK » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:49 pm

That'll be hard to belive, but there actually are normal German people who speak English at an usable level without being native Americans ;-)
I'm mainly a troll refugee as my "home" forum hasn't got an ignore function and there was one particular know-it-all that I simply couldn't bear any more.

From your description it's hard to tell but it seems to me that one "expert" has worked on the electrics. It may likely happed he cut some cables you still needed ...
Can you make a photo of the cables you mean ?
Bye
Martin

Zixxer10R

#11 Post by Zixxer10R » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:46 am

MK wrote:That'll be hard to belive, but there actually are normal German people who speak English at an usable level without being native Americans ;-)
I'm mainly a troll refugee as my "home" forum hasn't got an ignore function and there was one particular know-it-all that I simply couldn't bear any more.

From your description it's hard to tell but it seems to me that one "expert" has worked on the electrics. It may likely happed he cut some cables you still needed ...
Can you make a photo of the cables you mean ?
I blew one German associate's mind where I used to work at a German owned chemical plant. He wasn't able to speak German to me because his mind told him "Americans don't speak German".

Aber so wie so, I don't have a picture of the wiring, but I suspect I'm going to need a new controller.

Danke Schoen für Ihre hilf so weit.

MK

#12 Post by MK » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:20 pm

In my job I mostly have to deal with US software guys and over time you get used to that and become somewhat fluent. It also helps a lot to do your daily "brain workout" in English language forums, FB, ...

I still have a bad message:
If the wiring harness is fucked up, you'll need to sort that out anyway before or latest when installing any working PV control box...
Why not identify/fix it right now?
Bye
Martin

hondaror

#13 Post by hondaror » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:37 am

Martin, if I ever make it to Germany, I will have to look you up and visit. You are one stand-up guy, racer, enthusiast!! Cheers!
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350
9 1986-1990 RZ350s
2000 ST2
2005 749
2005 749 with 999 engine

MK

#14 Post by MK » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:47 am

Feel invited any time.
My longest trip to visit other gearheads was in 2000 when I met with the late Wyn Belorusky in Orlando. His bike is still famous http://www.rzrd500.com/wyn_rz.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Well actually the stay was for a software conference and we managed to meet jn the evening)

Et je parle un peux de francais pour les Candiens :-)
(Tres, tres peux ...)
Bye
Martin