Wrong Spark Plugs?

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

mechE

Wrong Spark Plugs?

#1 Post by mechE » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:45 pm

Hi guys,

This may seem like a dumb question so I apologize if it is. So I was going to replace the spark plugs on my '84 RZ and I bought the ones my local parts department said were the appropriate plugs (they insist they're the same part #). Pictured on the left is the old one pulled off the bike and on the right is one of the new ones. They don't seem to have the same fitting. Can anyone tell me what's going on here?

Thanks
Attachments
IMG.jpg
IMG.jpg (115.27 KiB) Viewed 2047 times

nzminis

Re: Wrong Spark Plugs?

#2 Post by nzminis » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:51 pm

the tops just unscrew , just get a set of pliers or grips to loosen

job done

mechE

#3 Post by mechE » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:22 pm

Okay thanks. I tried that initially but didn't put a lot of force into it for fear that that wasn't the right thing to do. Thanks again

RuZty
-----
-----

#4 Post by RuZty » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:12 pm

I just bought NGK's from my local supplier and didn't notice that it was labelled as 'fixed cap' or something like that. I got it in the head and then remembered I had to unscrew the end, was well fu*#ed by the time I took it out to figure out what the problem was. This must be something new, when I returned the others and specified that I wanted removable tips they also had them in stock.

nzminis

#5 Post by nzminis » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:16 am

dont think its something new
i have seen fixed ones for ages

maby people were having problems with them unscrewing and they felt the need to bring out a fixed cap