NO Spark UGH

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

hotshoe93

NO Spark UGH

#1 Post by hotshoe93 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:56 pm

just recently purchased a 1984 RZ350 . Bike quit running on original owner approx 10 years ago and has set in a controlled garage since. May I ask you experts what I should look at first ? Bike is all original except for toomey pipes and air box. Thanks in advance
Attachments
0 copy 2.jpeg
0 copy 2.jpeg (192.8 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
84 RZ350 Toomey
2003 FZ1 Yellow/Black
BULTACO ASTRO
Champion framed Kawasaki F81m
BULTACO SHERP-S Brakeless Dirt tracker
ZUK A-100 w/ FACTORY HOP UP
:smt026

brrrappp

Re: NO Spark UGH

#2 Post by brrrappp » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:33 pm

Get out your multi-meter and check the switches for on/off continuity, check ohm values for coils. Look for any wire that might have cracked insulation grounding against another wire or frame attached part.
1984 is known for bad CDI boxes. If you can find a CDI that is "known to be good" the best test is a swap.
The 1985 CDI has different connections but you can make it work with some male/female connectors and a couple short pieces of wire.

AMDshaner

#3 Post by AMDshaner » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:12 pm

I just went through this same scenario. Bought an rz350. Chassis is 85, engine and harness is 84.
It also had no spark, followed the manual and checked all components with a multimeter. Everything checked out correctly and following the manual it says if everything checks out, replace cdi box. Talked again to previous owner who said the bike had quit charging on him so he took it home and parked it.
Ordered a Zeeltronic box from Economy Cycle and bike runs well now.
84 and earlier cdi boxes are known to fail.

hotshoe93

#4 Post by hotshoe93 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:56 pm

AMDshaner wrote:I just went through this same scenario. Bought an rz350. Chassis is 85, engine and harness is 84.
It also had no spark, followed the manual and checked all components with a multimeter. Everything checked out correctly and following the manual it says if everything checks out, replace cdi box. Talked again to previous owner who said the bike had quit charging on him so he took it home and parked it.
Ordered a Zeeltronic box from Economy Cycle and bike runs well now.
84 and earlier cdi boxes are known to fail.
That’s what I was thinking. Bike missed real shortly and then quit. No spark. Thx
84 RZ350 Toomey
2003 FZ1 Yellow/Black
BULTACO ASTRO

hotshoe93

#5 Post by hotshoe93 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:06 pm

AMDshaner, did you get the std or the programmable cdi box from economy? Did it install fairly easy, did it have connectors or did u have to hardwire each wire .
84 RZ350 Toomey
2003 FZ1 Yellow/Black
BULTACO ASTRO

brrrappp

#6 Post by brrrappp » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:15 pm

Before you spend big money on a cdi do the basic trouble shooting. I wouldn't assume the previous owner did so. The most recent RZ I bought came from a certified mechanic. He couldn't figure out the problem and was quick to blame the CDI. Turned out there were ground shorts in 4 places in the middle of the wire harness. Somewhere along the way someone had done some crappy work and wrapped it back up nice.

The fuse box is also known to have loose fuse holders and that is a less expensive fix if found to be the cause.

The problem with buying a used CDI is always the possibility of getting a bad unit. But if you don't trouble shoot first, there is also the possibility of burning cash for unnecessary new or used parts.

hotshoe93

#7 Post by hotshoe93 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:18 pm

Previous owner never did any trouble shooting. Fuel tank has never been off of this bike. Side stand switch in play also ? Thx
84 RZ350 Toomey
2003 FZ1 Yellow/Black
BULTACO ASTRO

brrrappp

#8 Post by brrrappp » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:26 pm

it's worth by-passing the side stand switch but I think the bike should still spark if in neutral.

AMDshaner

#9 Post by AMDshaner » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:37 pm

For sure, do all the checks. Check side stand sw, kill sw etc etc. I checked and rechecked 6 times before ordering the zeel box.
Install of the zeel was super simple, i cut the stock plugs off and soldered and heat shrinked the new connections. It doesnt come with any connectors although i think they are available from Economy Cycle or can be sourced on ebay.
I got the programmable box with power valve control but i didnt get the programmer as im not looking for max power or anything.

hotshoe93

#10 Post by hotshoe93 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:28 pm

What I’m hearing is even if it is not my cdi I might be better off changing anyway so I don’t get stranded sometime.. I’m hearing 1984 cdi is that it’s just a matter of time ????
84 RZ350 Toomey
2003 FZ1 Yellow/Black
BULTACO ASTRO

brrrappp

#11 Post by brrrappp » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:43 am

hotshoe93 wrote:What I’m hearing is even if it is not my cdi I might be better off changing anyway so I don’t get stranded sometime.. I’m hearing 1984 cdi is that it’s just a matter of time ????
I would love for someone with real hands on working knowledge to chime in on 1984 RZ350 CDI failure issues.

There are product failures for everything produced that I call "internet failures." These are failures that you hear about on message boards and no where else. I've seen enough claims of CDI failure for the pre-1985 RZ/RD models to feel it's a real issue. I'm not so sure I would call it a forgone conclusion that your 1984 will go bad.
Yamaha changed the CDI for the 1985 model. According to most everyone, the 1985 CDI box gives noticeably better power and better reliability. This would indicate that A) Yamaha knew there was a reliability issue or B) found an easy way to increase power on the later models or both.

Overall CDI failure is a low percentage failure but there is a higher incidence of CDI failure for the 1984 than for the 1985 listed on message boards in the USA and other countries. What is the percentage of failure rate? I don't know. What mileage do they generally fail at? unknown.
The RZ was never sold a big numbers here in the USA. I worked for 1 large and 2 medium sized Yamaha dealers in the 80's and 90's and don't recall ever having to replace an RZ350 CDI under warranty. I honestly can't remember an RZ ever having been in the shop for anything other than normal maintenance or crash damage.

Apparently there are people that can rebuild an 1984 or 1985 CDI. Those people could probably tell you what component is actually failing. That may give some indication of a cause or of longevity.

AMDshaner

#12 Post by AMDshaner » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:50 am

I went with the zeel box for a couple reasons..
1. It runs off the battery rather than the magneto. In my research i found the usual cause for cdi failure is a failed voltage regulator. I think when the regulator fails, the voltage isnt controlled which takes out the cdi.
2. The zeel can control the power valves directly so you eliminate the stock control box.
I did find an 85 cdi box at the local bike shop, he still has 2 brand new boxes, he wanted $300 cad. The zeel was $240 usd. By the time it got to me, the zeel cost $350 cad. A little more money but it fixes a couple known issues and is programmable if you want to play with some settings.

MK

#13 Post by MK » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:09 pm

brrrappp wrote: I would love for someone with real hands on working knowledge to chime in on 1984 RZ350 CDI failure issues.
I have such experience and you're totally right.
80% or more is simply failed source coils, almost 20% bad earth, wiring or pickup issues.
The HT coil and CDI are the most reliable parts in the system, but in rare cases I have seen failed parts.

People argumenting a programmable unit at around 200 Eur is "big $" are the same guys that happily spend 600 or more for a pair of pipes if they're made by their appropriate guru.
Considering that a DC CDI adds around 5kW, eliminates ALL trouble with the source coils, the CDI and the PV control (which btw fails pretty often), it's the best bang for the buck you can get. But its the usual thing: as soon as it gets electric people get their white flags out and surrender.
Bye
Martin

hotshoe93

#14 Post by hotshoe93 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:29 pm

AMDshaner wrote:I went with the zeel box for a couple reasons..
1. It runs off the battery rather than the magneto. In my research i found the usual cause for cdi failure is a failed voltage regulator. I think when the regulator fails, the voltage isnt controlled which takes out the cdi.
2. The zeel can control the power valves directly so you eliminate the stock control box.
I did find an 85 cdi box at the local bike shop, he still has 2 brand new boxes, he wanted $300 cad. The zeel was $240 usd. By the time it got to me, the zeel cost $350 cad. A little more money but it fixes a couple known issues and is programmable if you want to play with some settings.
Question please, can someone that’s not real good on electrical install the zeal? I guess what I’m saying is the instructions pretty easy to follow. Step by step ?
84 RZ350 Toomey
2003 FZ1 Yellow/Black
BULTACO ASTRO

hotshoe93

#15 Post by hotshoe93 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:19 pm

Until I get my manual to get all the electrical specs to chk out the components , what r the source coils we ( MK) are talking about ? Stator?
84 RZ350 Toomey
2003 FZ1 Yellow/Black
BULTACO ASTRO