Brown wire on regulator/rectifier? 85 RZ350.

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

sweet_baby_james

Brown wire on regulator/rectifier? 85 RZ350.

#1 Post by sweet_baby_james » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:47 pm

Hi

I am looking at the wiring on my 85 RZ350 and I am struggling to find an answer to my question:

What does the brown wire at the reg/rec do?

I understand that the brown wire is switched power when the ignition switch is on (takes 12V from the battery and feeds the necessary circuits), however I see that it feeds back in to the reg/rec. What is the function here? Is it some kind of voltage sensing?

What I am doing is eliminating 90% of the stock electrical as I am setting up a fuel injection ECU that will also handle the ignition. I will use the charging system only from the existing electrical system so hopefully someone can enlighten me!

Thanks

James

waltmil

Re: Brown wire on regulator/rectifier? 85 RZ350.

#2 Post by waltmil » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:17 am

That is the voltage reference wire for the regulator.
Red/White US '84, Spec II pipes, Y-boot w/K&N, Fox Shock, Mikuni carbs?

sweet_baby_james

#3 Post by sweet_baby_james » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:18 pm

OK, thanks. So its feedback to the reg/rec for voltage regulation? Probably need to keep it hooked up then.

motoholic71

#4 Post by motoholic71 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:23 pm

No the RZ is a short circuit zenner regulator it does not require ref voltage.
3 wire go in carrying 3 phase AC and 2 wires come out, ground and +12V regulated.Extra unused generated power is shorted to the ground, hence the name "short circuit reg."
Ref voltage is used on generators with coils instead of magnets like the aircooled RDs

Edit: I stand corrected, US RZs have different regulators with all different layout, seems brown lead is indeed ref. v in US, sorry. Ours European bikes use standard 4 wires reg with case ground.
Ask me about the new free App i-wipe 2.0, the app that replaces toilet paper