issue/ problem with my RZ encountered at Deal's Gap Meet

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

pearljam724

Re: issue/ problem with my RZ encountered at Deal's Gap Meet

#106 Post by pearljam724 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:35 am

steveloomis wrote:In regards to the plugs and resistor or not. I understand that a resistor plug or resistor cap is necessary if you are running a Zeeltronic ignition due to reduced electrical noise. No resistance at all can mess with the ignition. What I am not sure about is whether it is ok or NOT ok to run resistor plugs and resistor caps. I am thinking I read somewhere to not run a resistor plug and a resistor cap at the same time. Can someone clarify this?

I too have been fighting a right hand cylinder drop out problem. Been thru carbs way to many times and am pretty certain it is NOT carbs. Engine starts perfectly, Idles perfectly and low speed performance is perfect. It is just when you increase rpm and speed when the right side drops out.

I am pretty certain the crank seal must be the culprit. I am putting finishing touches on totally rebuilt, matching serial number, stock engine to replace the current "spare" engine. I'll know pretty soon if the new engine will run correctly. I'll pull the spare engine down to inspect the oil seal, rebuild if necessary etc.
Yes, you're correct. You can only run resistors on one or the other. Plug or inside the plug wire boot. You can't have a resistor on both or neither on both. My bike has a somewhat similar behavior as to Evans regarding my plugs. But, it's easily fixable on behalf of my bike. If I run manufacturer suggested BR8ES plugs. My bike doesn't run very well in the higher rpm. To be quite honest, it runs like shit above 6k rpm. But, idles like a dream. If I run BR9EIX iridiums. (I think that's the plug off hand without looking ) The bike runs fantastic above 6k rpms. But, I can't get the bike to idle to save my life. Regardless, of me adjusting the air pilot screws or not. I understand the iridiums are for high speed riding. But, my bike won't idle with them. And it doesn't like to run on the other. And it's not carb or choke related. As I've gone over all of those areas.

aaronmvrider
-----
-----

#107 Post by aaronmvrider » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:31 am

my bike runs fine with plugs and caps both are resistor... and leads are suppression material...

running a dyna coil .. perhaps it makes a difference ???

does the resistor plug/cap stop interference with powervalve servo.... or is it for the whole electrics...
1 x 4mm stroker rz 375cc 1983
1 x 7mm stroker rz 443cc 1984 (under construction)
1 x rz 500
1 x mv agusta 1000

motoholic71

#108 Post by motoholic71 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:22 am

The resistor limits the spark current, suppressing EM radiation to all susceptible electric components in the vicinity, that includes all unshielded CPUs and even the wiring itself can carry this noise.
Even older TV sets and radios in the neighborhood will catch the noise,special from simpler '70s bikes with breaker ignitions.It was less serious with cars because their steel body act as a shield.
If the dyna coil comes with supressor cables from the manufacturer it's ok but using this cables on the stock coil is not very good.
In the late '70s Yamaha fitted Resistor caps to all bikes using the new CDI systems to make sure there was some protection no matter what plug is used, but all you need is about 5 kOhms per plug.
An alternative to resistive hardware is aeronautic HV coaxial leads which have an outer grounded conductive skin and a copper core.And metal shielded caps.
Oh and move the coil(s) to the outer sides of the frame rails like the race bikes have,the frame act as a Faraday cage and protect the wiring inside etc
And use shielded(audio) wiring for the YPVS potentiometer and ground its metal case, the same for the magneto pick up wiring.
This is what I do to race conversions,they never have electric faults from there on always with a very bright white thick spark
Ask me about the new free App i-wipe 2.0, the app that replaces toilet paper

Evans Ward
-----
-----

#109 Post by Evans Ward » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:33 am

motoholic71 wrote:
Evans Ward wrote:Thanks motoholic and I will pass the tip on to the mechanic working on the bike. It will be right when I get it back so that I do have to look forward to.
hope he didn't replace all electrics in sight already :smt003 but if so ask for all the replaced parts
Best of luck and keep us posted
He's just replacing the harness connector plastic ends with the upgraded pieces. The electrical components are known good.

Keep the suggestions coming as it is appreciated!
84 RZ350-Toomeys,SCR milled head, stk 26 carbs,300 M, 35 P, stock regrooved needles AS 2.5 turns out,stk air box,Banshee reeds Zeel non-progr CDI,TSRL Program YPVS,alum rad,R6 shock,GV emulators w/RT springs,fork brace,Shindy steering damper.

pushstartrearset
-----
-----

#110 Post by pushstartrearset » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:57 am

Sounds like Chuck is zeroing in on the problem. Someone mentioned on the 2SW board that a yellow RZ was being worked on ("Where's Supertune thread") and that there was a was a problem w/ the P.V.. Sounds like the TZ he just finished was a bigger headache than your bike ;)

Is that your bike EW?
1984 RZ350L (U.S.) Old Toomeys, oil injected!, Y-boot K&N. loctite throttle cable holder on left carb!! , 410 mains, Dynojet needles 2.0 clip, #20 pilot @ 1.5 turn a.s., 240/512 p.v.

Evans Ward
-----
-----

#111 Post by Evans Ward » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:54 am

pushstartrearset wrote:Sounds like Chuck is zeroing in on the problem. Someone mentioned on the 2SW board that a yellow RZ was being worked on ("Where's Supertune thread") and that there was a was a problem w/ the P.V.. Sounds like the TZ he just finished was a bigger headache than your bike ;)

Is that your bike EW?
Hi Kevin- Yes, I saw that thread too last night on 2SW and that is my bike as described at Chuck's shop. I do find it hard to believe that it may have an issue w/ power valves as I just serviced and replaced them with the FFTP billet units and they spun and worked freely as designed. I replaced the seals, cleaned carbon from cylinder area where they sit and also replaced the connector w/ Roger's billet piece. It's been about a month since Chuck and I spoke and it was a major jetting issue he was on to then. He was going to purchase and try the banshee needles/ emuls tubes and also experiment with stockers and DJs I supplied to him. I know he is very busy and I don't call, text, email, or post negative threads on 2T forums to place any pressure on him. My bike has been there with him since October of last year. I'm also blessed to help multiple bikes including other smokers. If he were able to finish it before early May when the Deal's Gap Meet is, that would be great/ wonderful (really want to take it there sorted!) but if not possible, I can and will continue to wait until he has finshed with it. I learned when young a saying that "Good things come to those who wait". I know he is the right man to sort out my bike's problems. I'm sure I am in the minority of his customers that are older than him (55 here- I believe he may be 3-4 years younger) so I'm mature and understand that things in life and family do and will come up that can delay normal planned work and circumstances. That is a fact that I know from my many years of working with families in Counseling and Social Work as well as have experienced first hand myself. IMHO, as much as they bring us pleasure, bikes are fun toys. YRMV.
84 RZ350-Toomeys,SCR milled head, stk 26 carbs,300 M, 35 P, stock regrooved needles AS 2.5 turns out,stk air box,Banshee reeds Zeel non-progr CDI,TSRL Program YPVS,alum rad,R6 shock,GV emulators w/RT springs,fork brace,Shindy steering damper.

Evans Ward
-----
-----

#112 Post by Evans Ward » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:29 pm

2 weeks to the Deal's Gap Meet and no updates in a few months. I'm sure I'll get an update at some point.... H2 750 Triple is ready though and will also be taking my ZRX1200R this year for those longer rides. I do miss my RZ....

silverstrom

#113 Post by silverstrom » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:21 pm

You have more patience than me E.W. I'd be on the phone demanding answers after so much time has passed without any progress reported. I read somewhere that he was having some personal problems. Hope you aren't a casualty of that. I know others are waiting also and getting worried. There are guys at 2SW that have had their parts and bikes with Chuck for a very long time (before you). The list of pissed off and concerned people is growing.

Evans Ward
-----
-----

#114 Post by Evans Ward » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:46 am

*********** UPDATE************

Received an email stating the bike will be ready in one week!! :smt041 Delivery may be possible to my house next Saturday week when Chuck and Charlie will be enroute to Deal's Gap. I'll be leaving early Sunday morning (next day). The RZ may make the Gap after all..... :smt035

mkane

#115 Post by mkane » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:24 am

Reading thru this thread, my linked together carbs have an 0-ring on the air screw. Spring first, then washer before o-ring.

iron

#116 Post by iron » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:27 pm

Happy for you Ward. Have a great time. Be safe.
Iron on the Bayou.
84 RZ-350
Bore 64.5MM, Wiseco. Ported by Wicked (Recreational). Wicked's Billet Head, Zeel Iggy, V-Force 3 Reeds, Y-Boot K&N Filter, Stock Carbs. Spec 2 Pipes (F-1's). R6 Cooling Fan.

pushstartrearset
-----
-----

#117 Post by pushstartrearset » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:50 pm

So what was the problem WArdy?
1984 RZ350L (U.S.) Old Toomeys, oil injected!, Y-boot K&N. loctite throttle cable holder on left carb!! , 410 mains, Dynojet needles 2.0 clip, #20 pilot @ 1.5 turn a.s., 240/512 p.v.

Evans Ward
-----
-----

#118 Post by Evans Ward » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:21 pm

^ Don't have the specifics yet as I haven't heard from Chuck personally. I'll see him when I receive the bike and when at the Gap in a week. I'll post up with the verdict on the issues once known in event that it may help out others potentially.

evansje1

#119 Post by evansje1 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:36 am

Cool deal...

I didn't say nothing last year when we were working on it but I didn't like the looks of the connectors or the ground on your bike. Hope that's all it was.

By the way, I hope to ride to Joe's camp ground for their church service at 9:53 Sunday. Ben and I will leave from Robbinsville and I plan to take them down 143 to 28 then after the service back to the resort on 28 for lunch. If you will be at the resort in time and want to, ride to robbinsville and meet up with us. That afternoon we may also do the skyway before moving to our Fontana rental.

John
1973 RD350
2014 Suzuki DT1000
1979 RD400F Daytona Special
1984 RZ350

Evans Ward
-----
-----

#120 Post by Evans Ward » Fri May 16, 2014 3:27 pm

Got the bike back on May 3rd the day before I left for the annual Deal's Gap trip. Chuck and his friend Charlie delivered the bike to my house as it was on their way as they were enroute to the Gap also. Bike had bad electrical ground issues as well as the aforementioned issue with one of the plug wires not making good contact. Chuck also noted an electrical conflict between my Zeeltronic RZ4 replacement CDI (non adjustable) and the Dynotek coil. He replaced the Dynotek with a stocker coil and she ran much better. He nor I had heard of this issue before. The Bike's powervalve bolt had backed out so Chuck had to address that too. Jetting also took much time for the stock carbs with complete airbox. He wound up with 35 pilots, 280 mains, and machined the stock needles for another groove which he placed the clip on. Oil pump was way out of spec too as the bike was over-oiling so that was adjusted. Bike still has a slight hiccup in mid range as most do. The bikes runs very well as I was able to put it through the paces at Deal's Gap this year without any incidents. I also have to say that Chuck did me right with the final bill and I would highly recommend his services to anyone. His priority is to the performance watercraft industry so the 2T stuff is secondary. It is good to have the bike back especially in turn key form again. Now- on to R1 brake (rotor/ caliper) upgrades!