Those who mix...opinions

Central location for technical tips and information

Moderators: rztom, silverstrom

Disco

Those who mix...opinions

#1 Post by Disco » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:30 pm

I've read quite a bit about premix ratios on the RZ's, but have a question which I think I already know the answer to but you guys seem to have great experience and I value your opinions.
As you may have read I'm a new member with an 84 and 85 which are both new to me. The owners prior to the POs' of each bike ditched the oil injection. The PO's have been driving the bikes at a 20:1 premix ratio using AV fuel and Amsoil Interceptor. The bikes both run pretty well with that ratio, but I'm under the impression that it's a bit much, and while I'm pretty thrilled about driving a 2smoke, the blue haze with this ratio is a bit thicker than I'd like (I really smoked out a couple in a mustang convertible today at a stop sign. Didn't try to do it but wind direction was just going that way and the Spec 2 bike really sends out a cloud).

I'd like to drop to closer to 32:1 but don't want to screw up the jetting, like I said, they run pretty well as is. I pulled the plugs and they looked really good, the only thing I did was to re-gap them as the right plug was at about .o20 and the left .028. I put them both at .028 and I could immediately hear the difference in how the right cylinder was running. Much better!

Thoughts on what you would recommend?

2nd part. Some of you might have read that I'm planning on giving the KR bike to my dad. I know he'd much prefer oil injection (As would I but one bike at a time, his first). The bikes came with an oil pump, reservoir, cable. I've never seen any details/pics on how to put an oil injection system back on after it's been removed. Just do the removal process but in reverse? How much time are we talking, this will be my first attempt, and I certainly don't want to screw this up.

Thanks.

two-stroke-brit
-----
-----

Re: Those who mix...opinions

#2 Post by two-stroke-brit » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:22 am

before you put the pump back on.i would sent it to arrow (member on here and rdlccrazy web site)in the UK for a service .
he does a great job and you will have piece of mind in that the pump is functioning as it should.
mark
350LC,Athena 392 big bore,stock porting,swiss cheese air box,stock reeds,spec11 pipes.(now TSA big bore pipes)
She might not be pretty but she will always be a fun ride

1982 YAMA RD350LC
98KDX 220R
1967 TRIUMPH TIGER
2001 TRIUMPH TT600

RuZty
-----
-----

#3 Post by RuZty » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:15 am

I have always had the pump on my bike and never had a problem, I honestly don't understand why anyone would remove it other than for racing. There is a good post on here explaining how they work and what can go wrong, they are not black magic and can be serviced by a competent individual, but as mentioned Arrow has a good reputation for servicing and modifying these for bigger engines and has sourced all the parts which you might struggle to find on your own.
As far as reinstalling goes you will need to remove the clutch cover, (drain gearbox and coolant first), remove the block off plate where the oil pump mounts, and install the pump (make sure you have the thrust washer that goes between the pump and the case and a new pump gasket).
You might as well replace the coolant pipe O-ring, oil pump shaft seal, water pump seal (and maybe bearing) and kickstart shaft while you are at it, and verify your clutch and shifter adjustment too so you don't have to remove the clutch cover again any time soon. Install a new cover gasket and put it back together, it's all covered in the manual which you should make a point of having.
You will now need to hook up the oil lines to the tank and carb, personally I prefer Tygon hose available from RC car stores for nitromethane fuel. If you don't have an oil tank on either bike you will need to source one and the level sender. Hopefully they have only capped the oil ports on the carbs and not made them unusable, all stuff to check before you start.
In the mean time if you start to change the mixture keep in mind that reducing oil will make it richer. You will have to experiment and do some plug chops to see if you need to change jetting, there is no set rule for what will work in all circumstances. If you are set on putting the pump back on I would just skip the hassle and focus on that since they already work well.
On separate note as a father I think you buying a pair of these to give one to your dad is supremely cool, I hope you report back on his reaction, and I hope it is as good as mine would be. Curious on the user name Disco, do you drive a Land Rover?

RuZty
-----
-----

#4 Post by RuZty » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:47 am

In addition to my verbose reply above I forgot to mention that you might need to replace or sort out the oil pump cable depending on what they left you with. When you connect the cable, before you set up the pump (as described in the manual), make sure the end of the return spring where it pegs into the pulley OD is not under the cable and affecting the pulley position.

Disco

#5 Post by Disco » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:29 am

Great replies and information. Thanks. I agree about the oil injection being left on unless racing, wish they would have been left alone, but I suspect the KR might have been raced due to every bolt related to the brakes is drilled and safety wired. Good point about checking that the carbs prior to surgery.

No landrover, but watch out if I'm ever on a dance floor!

RuZty
-----
-----

#6 Post by RuZty » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:35 pm

Disco wrote: No landrover, but watch out if I'm ever on a dance floor!
Only about 2 ways that could have gone, and that is the other one. Makes me think of Gene Gene the dancing machine on the Gong Show (maybe showing my age with that one).

Disco

#7 Post by Disco » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:08 pm

The gong show IS in my memory bank, but vaguely, so that is showing my age. Just a goofing around at a bar post-college, pre-wife days and the nickname stuck.

two-stroke-brit
-----
-----

#8 Post by two-stroke-brit » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:32 pm

on the subject of nicknames .
when i was 18 ish there was a monthly meet at a seaside town near me .
and i would pick up buddy's on route.
well the city in there infinite wisdom decided to resurface part of the main freeway.
luckily we were only going slow and i didn't see it coming up , the surface was rutted like a ploughed field .
i nearly ran into the curb and fresh trousers were in order.
i pulled over up the road , helmet off and threw up.
my buddys said i was a white as a ghost.
from then on i was "spook"
350LC,Athena 392 big bore,stock porting,swiss cheese air box,stock reeds,spec11 pipes.(now TSA big bore pipes)

1982 YAMA RD350LC
98KDX 220R
1967 TRIUMPH TIGER
2001 TRIUMPH TT600

RuZty
-----
-----

#9 Post by RuZty » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:44 am

two-stroke-brit wrote: from then on i was "spook"
...and from now on. :smt003

I used to know a guy called Wedge (the simplest tool known to man), and another called tackle box due to the amount of hardware he had pierced in to his face, looked like he'd fallen into one.

two-stroke-brit
-----
-----

#10 Post by two-stroke-brit » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:30 am

RuZty wrote:
two-stroke-brit wrote: from then on i was "spook"
...and from now on. :smt003

I used to know a guy called Wedge (the simplest tool known to man), and another called tackle box due to the amount of hardware he had pierced in to his face, looked like he'd fallen into one.
we had a guy at work we called 1 watt... :smt079

1982 YAMA RD350LC
98KDX 220R
1967 TRIUMPH TIGER
2001 TRIUMPH TT600

hondaror

#11 Post by hondaror » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:02 am

A friend's father was Wiz.
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350