Rear sets

General forum on frames, brakes, suspension, wheels and tires

Moderator: rztom

Bald Anthony

Rear sets

#1 Post by Bald Anthony » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:35 pm

Can you please share your thoughts on the best and worst rear sets for my 1985 RZ350 US model. Please describe what I need to look out for... Poor design? Great design? Mounting issues? Poor customer service when a problem occurs?

Thank you for the input as I need to purchase a set soon.

BA

Questo vecchio rz

Re: Rear sets

#2 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:26 pm

There are only 1 or 2 companies still making rearsets, Terrozzi and Rassak I believe, possibly Spec 2.
There are some that people occasionally make in small batches,(search here) for Tech? something
I'd honestly say out if the companies that always have them and likley always will in case of an accident or breakage, I'd go with the Terrozzi, you can get them through 'Fast From The Past'.
I cannot tell you what's best as everyone has a different preference for comfort, one person will love the position, the next will not height, backset, inseam,leg length etc.. also some folks find fault with bushings etc...
As far as appearance I'd go 1.)Terrozzi,
2.) Rassak then 3.) the Spec 2s in that order..only if they still make them like they used to. 1 and 2 look a little more factory with 2 looking a little retro and No. 3 going full 80s retro w round rubber pegs. The 'Tech' ones look modern, but for me are too bulky looking, but from what I've read are quite nice & light and well made and are 100% fully adjustable, hence the bulky side plates...but full adjustability is a nice feature.
I'm utilizing ZX6 R billet footrests , but my frame is to be modified to retrofit them. They were brand new on E Bay for $89.00..There really friggin light, Not TZ light...but affordable enough to buy an Xtra set for if & when it lays on it's side.
There are plenty of photos online you can Google to see what look you like. You might also try RZs Unlimited & see what he uses .
Good Luck
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

RuZty
-----
-----

#3 Post by RuZty » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:53 pm

I have been using a set of the late model ('86 and up) rearsets that I trimmed down quite a bit and I am happy with them as they look reasonably minimal but retain the stock position. I also have a set of the T12 ones that were on here as a group buy, and they are very nicely made. I just this past week got the Brembo MC to go with them and will try them once I get my suspension swap complete in the next month or so. In the most relaxed position they are still at least an inch up and an inch back from stock. Link to the thread; viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

..and since Photobucket has made that thread virtually useless, here is T12's website; http://t12tech.com/products/yamaha%20rz%2Brd%20350.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kpke
-----
-----

#4 Post by kpke » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:27 am

I have T12's and they are made real nice but probably not going to get spare parts for them if required.

Tarrozzi's work great and it so happens I needed spare parts :smt010 and as questo said ALL of the individual piece parts are available. Highly recommend these for that reason! I have cut off the passenger peg section on mine.

Rassk I have a set and mounted them up but could not handle the very rough finish on them. Looked like they were made by a 10 year old.

Smoker

#5 Post by Smoker » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:38 pm

Look out for future knee pain from riding with your heels closer to your ass.

I prefer the stock footpeg location for street riding.

Maybe necessary if you are dragging the OEM pegs.

Stock footpegs and mounts can be upgraded, as well.

Bald Anthony

#6 Post by Bald Anthony » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:15 pm

Stock footpegs and mounts can be upgraded, as well.

---------Can you please share ideas on how to upgrade the stock foot pegs and mounts. Photos?

Thanks,

BA

Bald Anthony

#7 Post by Bald Anthony » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:18 pm

Great job! I understand the pain in the knees I really don't want addition pain. Did you make all those the parts or are they off another bike?

BA

Smoker

#8 Post by Smoker » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:40 pm

I cut the bracket after the exhaust mount.

The footpegs are generic aftermarket.

The shifter and rod are aftermarket (Wicked Motorsports).

I made an adapter for more support.

Bald Anthony

#9 Post by Bald Anthony » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:59 pm

Thanks for the info. Do you have pics of what you did with the brake side?

BA

Smoker

#10 Post by Smoker » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:41 pm

Bald Anthony wrote:Thanks for the info. Do you have pics of what you did with the brake side?
Added a modern aluminum tip and clevis. Powdercoated the brake arm. Same treatment on the bracket.