lc rebuild

A place for LC enthusiasts to hang out!

Moderators: rztom, 2smoke

crumblingwaif

lc rebuild

#1 Post by crumblingwaif » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:48 pm

I have 350lc, needs rebuild. Water in crankcase etc, needs a whole Lotta work. What should one budget for this? Didn't wanna spend much more than 1k, then I noticed water now that figure has gone up to 2k (nzd). Is this possible?

Its on an offroad toy, one thing im wondering is if rebuilt, how would I run it in? This thing is designed to scream harder than your neighbours daughter, won't really work just putting around on it...

Where his best to get parts from? Anywhere cheaper than yambits? Bearing in mind exchange rates

Cheers

seahorse
-----
-----

Re: lc rebuild

#2 Post by seahorse » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:13 pm

Ebay an OEM Crank, Ebay some Pro ex pistons, Ebay an Oem Head gasket.
Get the seals and any thing else you nee From Economy Cycle, Roger at Wicked Motorsports, also worth a look at TDR racing, and Fast from the past.
PS economy cycle do a forum discount, look in the venders section.
Off the top, Crank 400, pistons 200, Seals 50, Gaskets 60, Rebore? (300?), so yep just a crank and top that's a grand easy. Don't forget clutch sprigs, and maybe plates, may as well replace gearbox bearings whilst its in half, so another few hundred there.
I take it your doing the work.
Re run in, My thoughts are to bed pistons in on mineral 2 stroke oil, then change to Synthetic. 710 seems to be the veiwers choice, I use Castrol tt (gold bottle).
On the run in there are threads her about it, but basically don't rev it past 6 thousand for a tank or two of fuel, and then only occasionally for a few more tanks.
Do a few heat cycles checking the head torque each time, as the gaskets will compress and the nuts will come out of spec.

Read a few thread's first as there is all the info you need on this forum. The Engine section will cover most, particularly heat cycles, oil, running in etc.
81 RD 250 LC Hybrid .Widened frame with Aprilia RS250 Back end & Front end, strokd RZ 421, Kennys TSA's, 31KVM26SS Carbs M-360 P-25 ALBA Ndl Pos 3, Air 1.3/4
81Rd350lc resto 2016
81 Rd250lc resto 2017
1999 ZRX 1100

Hooligan

#3 Post by Hooligan » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:59 pm

I have never seen an LC crank on ebay. RZ cranks are easy to find but the LC unit is different and much more difficult to find. I had considered purchasing the Yambits crank but there were some iffy reports about it. In the end the best idea seems to be to have your existing crank rebuilt. This ensures it is done properly and hasn't suffered damage from long term storage. The cost to rebuild a crank in Canada is in the $550 to $600 range.

The cost to bore cylinders and replace pistons will run about the same cost. Gasket sets are easy to get and run about $70 or so? Crank seals can still be ordered from a Yamaha dealer and not all that expensive.

All in the parts run around $1200 - $1300 before anyone turns a wrench on the engine. There are a few specialized tools you will need like a clutch basket holder and a flywheel puller but these are not overly expensive.

So if you are paying someone to do it then $2K is not out of line with what should be expected.
'82 RD350LC in '81 colours, OEM pipes, UNI filters
'85 FZ750

Bare

#4 Post by Bare » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:08 am

Firstly it Will Not scream louder than a neighbor's daughter.. At least not if you want it live..even a shortish life.
Do a LOT of internet/info reading.
Before you spend even 1 sheep islands $.
With reasoned familiarity... you will sort the chaff and buy what you actually need, for reasonable coin.
G'luck