RZ Frame modified MOTO3 project

Road racing, drag racing, motocross, vintage - anything racing related discuss it here!

Moderator: rztom

Questo vecchio rz

Re: RZ Frame modified MOTO3 project

#91 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:49 pm

Could you elaborate on your rearset choice, are they older Vortex? I like those as there not bulky looking, I was thinking of using Woodcrafts, unless I can source some cheap TZ250 versions. Adapting new mounts just seems the easiest way to go.
Nice project by the way, cant mistake the NSR swinger.
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

justind97

#92 Post by justind97 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:21 pm

Those are Chinese rearsets. Zx6r I believe Laird told me. He can confirm which years.

Questo vecchio rz

#93 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:06 pm

justind97 wrote:Those are Chinese rearsets. Zx6r I believe Laird told me. He can confirm which years.
Oh SOooo tempting. I think I found a EBay ad they look real close. Advertised as:
1.) CNC. 7075 Billet alum (anodized clear).
2.) 100% stainless hardware & Ball bearings.
3.) Fully adjustable up/down & front to back.
4.) Knurled footpegs

Get this...$95.00 US dollars

Too good to be true? I also have unfounded biased issues with China, but this might corrupt me...lol I could not buy a heel guard for that. Like othres I have a hard time justifying $400.00 for a parts I'll likley break if & when laid down.
I'll wait to see if Laird gives a realistic evaluation as to cost vs function, if he gives positive feedback its on !
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

ulsterman

#94 Post by ulsterman » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:07 pm

Yes the rear sets are for a ZX636 and around that price
if you look at the early photos they are not hard to mount and to be honest for the price and how they are you couldn't make them for it just in material cost -Tons of the them on ebay
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Rearsets-Foot-Pe ... Yg&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They have pressed in bearings and fit and function seem good for racing for sure as they have many mounting locations and you can adjust the gear change foot range and stuff ----------Bolts right onto the original gear change rod but i recommend race pipes or both out one side for maximum foot clearance

Questo vecchio rz

#95 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:04 pm

ulsterman wrote:
"Yes the rear sets are for a ZX636 and around that price"

" they are not hard to mount"

"for the price you couldn't make them for it just in material cost"

"pressed in bearings and fit & function good."

"many mounting locations and you can adjust the gear change foot range and stuff"

"Bolts right onto the original gear change rod "
Thanks kindly for your feedback, That pretty much seals the deal. My frames are going to be chopped up anyways...so this adaptation will save alot of weight & cost 1/4 - 1/3rd of other options plus they look quite good, I want a small mounting plate. I can buy a back up set just for spares for the cost of 3 Fast food trips! I called a local salvage yard they asked $175.00 for scratched OEM...
Thanks again for your reply.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

ulsterman

#96 Post by ulsterman » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:06 pm

Sorry guys been a while since i updated ----I did race the RZ400 in sept and all was going well in practice until the VITO 4mm crank rod bent and destroyed the whole one side of the motor !--------On the upside the frame and the zx6 front end worked really really well -----------------ON a bigger note i wanted to know if there is any interest in the drawings of the rear section of the bike for all the mods ?--------------If so i can send them to anyone interested for a small donation to my race fund if they are of any use
Thanks Laird -----PS will try and post some photos when i can

ghezzi

#97 Post by ghezzi » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:34 pm

oops
I'd rather ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow.

ulsterman

#98 Post by ulsterman » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:23 pm

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is an open album and hopefully you can see it
This next one is the Moto3 and sorry but still the same condition no ECU !
()

motoholic71

#99 Post by motoholic71 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:57 pm

Still ca7n't figure why such an archaic frame on the moto3, looks really odd imo such a generation gap of parts, oh well good luck
Ask me about the new free App i-wipe 2.0, the app that replaces toilet paper

ulsterman

#100 Post by ulsterman » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:08 am

Check out the 2016 KTM Moto3 and now MotoGP for next year !
It works and works very very well

Questo vecchio rz

#101 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:20 pm

ulsterman wrote:Check out the 2016 KTM Moto3 and now MotoGP for next year !
It works and works very very well
1st off, Hats off to you as you actually built it & raced it in a real roadrace, your the only person qualified to give feedback.

Yes, nothing wrong with a tube frame trellis, perimiter etc..
Especially when factoring a relativley small displacement and low h.p. compination such as the RZ/RD 350.

Ive watched some talented riders on well sorted RZs whom can beat just about anyone on anything within their class.
Sure theres always room for improvement, but if thats the case, why even bother with a old bike..just buy a new 600cc sportbike and race it as its superior in every way. For most its " Vintage" racing it is what it is make the best out of it.

A modified RZ running a stock frame with modifications and top notch suspension that is (set up correctly) is 100% suitable for all but only a handful of expert level riders. The wives tale of dangerous flexing frames is just that a bogus wivestale, For 90% of us RZ riders/racers in our mid 40s-60s its completley adequate.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

evan_calgary

#102 Post by evan_calgary » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:44 pm

For sure you are right for the most part here QV...but why go and spend thousands (even if its free to use, you are spending thousands of someone's dollars) to make custom parts like a swingarm then put on a chassis that will have absolutely minimal at the margin improvement over the 80's tech that you can find for a few hundred. 'Moto3' uses modern tech, modern spar or trellis frames, not perimeter mild steel.

ulsterman

#103 Post by ulsterman » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:29 pm

Its all about cost and I don't have millions !
Ordering a KTM frame or even building one at 10,000 I will never find the lap time difference
(*)
RZ400 ------With a ZX636 front end and NSR rear end they can handle 100HP no problem
I have raced a lot of GP250s and none pulled like this thing did
Improvements for next year
New cases -421 build with straight cut primary's at 2.36 because it ran out of gearing in a hurry
I think with around 90-100hp with this setup the bike will do around 160mph were I need to be
()
Moto3
If the frame is good for 100hp the moto3 will never be there or anywhere close so to be honest its over done
The rear swing arm I did just as a project and that one is yet to be proved it works
()

evan_calgary

#104 Post by evan_calgary » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:53 pm

I suppose! The name is maybe what is causing the confusion??? Cool projects. The electronics are beyond me. I must say I enjoy the simplicity of the 2-stroke simply due to a short attention span...

ghezzi

#105 Post by ghezzi » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:20 pm

What is not to figure? If you are expending all your efforts on a new flux capacitor any pushbike frame will do.
When launching into the new millennium is, "proof of concept", stopping and turning will become the new phase of development.

Many years ago a bloke in NZ made a bike out of a ball of string and glue, designed his own engine, frame and front end. Every component on the bike differed from conventional engineering practice, and it worked. But the John Britten experience is very rare. Better that Ulsterman develops one new theory at a time.

I like people who think outside the box and don't take no for an answer. When the rest of the world says "it is impossible", it is only because one person hasn't thought of the obvious answer.

I wanted to fit a BST carbon wheel from an Aprilia RS250 (twin sided swingarm and chain drive) to my Moto Guzzi Bellagio (single sided swingarm and shaft drive).
Can't be done said the naysayers. So I designed and made new hubs for the wheel and a splined axle for the diff. Now all the naysayers can say is, "it's not economically viable". I didn't do it for mass production, I only have one Guzzi, I love the engine, the feel but I wanted to change the way it rides. Mission accomplished.

Ulsterman, I'm in kindergarten compared to you. Keep going.

Naysayers. Shut the f*** up! Bike forums are full of us dreamers who never accomplish anything other than what has already been done, we just paint it a different colour. Real engineering developers are rare on bike forums, because they can't be bothered will all the negativity so they hide away and we learn nothing.
Again. STFU! Unless of course, you're an astrophysicist and have some CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM to add.
I'd rather ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow.