MotoGp 2018

Road racing, drag racing, motocross, vintage - anything racing related discuss it here!

Moderator: rztom

waltmil

MotoGp 2018

#1 Post by waltmil » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:47 am

First day of testing at Sepang and everyone just loves their new bike, surprise!
Red/White US '84, Spec II pipes, Y-boot w/K&N, Fox Shock, Mikuni carbs?

T.RexRacing

Re: MotoGp 2018

#2 Post by T.RexRacing » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:04 am

I'd love it too. Can I win on it is the right question.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.
Salvador Dali

T.RexRacing

#3 Post by T.RexRacing » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:18 pm

A great race. Shaping up to be a great season as well.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.
Salvador Dali

waltmil

#4 Post by waltmil » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:54 pm

Wet qualifying in Argentina. Jack Miller is on pole with the Ducati. Pedrosa is second, somehow he figured how to get his tires to work in the wet. Zarco third, Rins, Marquez, Dovizioso was in there, Vinales was 8, Crutchlow, and Rossi. Lorenzo didn't make it to Q2 and is starting 14th. The track is weird, drying mostly with running/standing water in some corners. Made for some amazing wobbles but few crashes. Don't know what the forecast is for the race but it could be another good one.

nokturnal
-----
-----

#5 Post by nokturnal » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:34 am

miller was about to highside... multiple times. he was able to make up good time on the slicks in the dry parts though... good on him.

the guys with any chance of the championship decided against the slicks.
:smt017

waltmil

#6 Post by waltmil » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:43 pm

Qualifying was strange, the race was a goat rodeo. It was declared wet then dry. Miller chose slicks to start and everybody else chose wets then changed to slicks. According to the rules they would have all had to start from pit lane, except Miller. That was deemed unsafe so everyone except Miller was moved back 4 rows on the grid. Then it got weird. Marquez stalled his bike then push started it but the rules say if you leave your grid position you must start from pit lane. He didn't. He went on to take the lead from Miller but was then assessed a ride through for not starting from the pits. Then he started picking up positions, not caring how he passed. He rammed one of the Aprillas and had to drop back a position but kept moving up until he ran Rossi off the track for sixth. He then passed Vinales for fifth. He got his third penalty for the Rossi incident.

Questo vecchio rz

#7 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:25 am

Marquez, is hands down probably the fastest rider in the history of the sport, he does things on these machines that no other rider can do... period. His talent is unequaled.
He is his own worst enemy, had he not been overly excited, this is a race he could have won blindfolded, even after ride through, he still had the potential to at least podium. Love him or hate him, I'm betting he wins the championship, again..and again. I've always liked Rossi, but In feeling a little sorry for him, with all his experience and talent, he's only playing 2nd fiddle, to a youngster who learned all his secrets from him, and has taken all the oxegen out if the room.
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

waltmil

#8 Post by waltmil » Sun May 06, 2018 2:04 pm

After two Marquez runaways this season is already over. About the only exciting thing about the Jerez race was lap 18 when Lorenzo went bowling. Marquez will keep winning until someone gets fast enough to at least challenge him. Maybe Zarco after he gets to KTM.

Questo vecchio rz

#9 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:58 pm

Like most Moto GP races, not alot of action, outside of the start by Marquez..but good to see the final outcome. Italians hold this dear, and the final podium may have not been what they wanted, but darned close.
The video shot of Marquez ,on his knee & elbow sliding 150' and attempting to upright his bike was a utterly awesome display of bike riding, he's doing everything possible to power it upright even into the gravel...dude has sick mad skill.
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

waltmil

#10 Post by waltmil » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:46 pm

And he was surprised that he didn't save it, he has before. He said it was a downhill turn and he couldn't muscle it back up. Six races in, he did not score any points in two of them and he has a 23 point lead. Looks like only Marquez can beat Marquez at this point.

Questo vecchio rz

#11 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:14 am

Yes, Lil Marc is 10 years in and approaching 7 world titles.
I have to give him a pass on his imaturity, I've been following roadraceing since I was old enough to understand it...and he stands alone as to what he can do on a motorcycle.
Would have been interesteing to see if he could have shown similar skills on the old 500s. Rossi can at least say he won before heavy electronics on 500cc 2 strokes, the ,990s, the 800s and recent displacement bikes.
I'd gate to say it, but a control bike format ,would might actually make MOTO GP interesting or exiting to watch, ever since the spec tire change, and rules implementation and electronics it's been weird, nowhere as exciting as the 500s were , not even close. Exception being the 1st few years of the 990s when they could still manhandle the machines, slide, etc... the technology however is impressive. 280 h.p. bikes,and 222 mph as of this weekend... Wow!
Think back, I believe Rossi still may hold the record for 125 cc pre (Moto 3) top speed on the Apirlla at close to 155 mph, which is crazy..another ,add 70 mph to that, that's what Ducati delivered today!
I remember when Dario Kato broke 200 mph on a fuel injected NSR500 almost 20 years ago, It takes BIG h.p gains to achieve minimal top speed. 190 h.p 500s @200 mph, then to today's 280 + h.p. machines for the Xtra 20 mph. Still crazy fast!
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

waltmil

#12 Post by waltmil » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:20 am

It is hard to be humble when you're that good but he could at least be polite.

Questo vecchio rz

#13 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:12 pm

SPOILER ALERT!!
SO TAKE THEM GLASSES OFF & STOP READING :smt005

What a awfully boring race, no excitement whatsoever, may as well watch goldfish is a bowl.[smilie=ext_sleep.gif] [smilie=ext_sleep.gif]
This is supposed to be the pinnacle venue of motorcycle racing in the world, yet delivered yet another race I could easily fall asleep watching.[smilie=ext_sleep.gif] [smilie=ext_sleep.gif]
We all can watch more exciting racing at any level club race.
The DUCATI, delivered a beat down on everyone. [smilie=winner_first_h4h.gif] Mr. Perfect lap times, Lorenzo doing his thing if he gets out front.
The Impressive V-4 Ducati engine delivers in excess of 260 h.p. likley more, and it shows. I'm not too fond of the (aero) bodywork, but it's obvious that it works, VW/Audi have deep pockets.
Funny one often thinks of Honda to be the major player, but VW/Audi -Ducati is the largest most profitable auto company in the world, for awile at least. The results show what their capable of..when a company takes it as serious as the legendary Japanese teams. Honda just has 45-50 years of winning experience. The Ducati can be a true contender., and with fans as well as likley perceived as a underdog, but are they? Which is nice to see, many of their street bikes have been so utterly beautiful, some have just
been pure art on wheels, no one can confuse a Ducati with a Japanese machine, nor no other bike they forge their own path and stand alone.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

waltmil

#14 Post by waltmil » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:40 am

Lorenzo can do it again and probably will but if we had the same finish for the next ten races, Lorenzo would have a 1 point lead in the championship.

waltmil

#15 Post by waltmil » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:50 am

Finally an interesting race. Lots of passing. Looked a little like Moto3 there for a while.