Daytona 200 ...snoozer

Road racing, drag racing, motocross, vintage - anything racing related discuss it here!

Moderator: rztom

Questo vecchio rz

Daytona 200 ...snoozer

#1 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:23 pm

What a hopeless cause. What used to be one of if not the "worlds" most pretigious roadrace, is just a faint shadow of what it once was. Again the so called "premier" race in the country being run with 600cc machinery..excuse me while I chug down some Nyquil ZZzzzzz.
Look at the names in starting lineup, virtually a list of nonames and already been there's. In fact it was won by a 47 year old...lol. Even Ashmed raced this year , he won it way back in what 1988-1989 on the factory VFR 750?
For the actual racers that must be great, but for fans and enthusiasts not so much. Its amazing to see how fast American roadracing disappeared, the AMA used to be the dominant superbike program on earth, bikes were better and faster than WBSK machines, and all the famous stars of racing participated, Dick Mann, Kenny Roberts,Freddie Spenser, Saarinen, Cal Rayborn, Lawson, Schwantz, Agostioni,Scott Russell, Grame Crosby, Romero etc etc....on cool "full factory" skunk works 2 strokes, money no limit factory 750 superbikes, finally the swan song equally bad ass Yoshimura GSXRs of Matt Mladin and Spies...now we get Superstock 600s
. Take a look at the grandstands, where is everyone?
WHAT A DRAG!
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Hellgate

Re: Daytona 200 ...snoozer

#2 Post by Hellgate » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:06 pm

The French, or France, or some other dumbasses own the rights. Daytona hasn't been good since the 2T was dismissed. 600's?

Give to Wayne and he'd fix it.
Cheers!

Pete

'12 Tuono V4R APRC, '05 R6, '88 RZ350, '82 XV920R

Questo vecchio rz

#3 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:05 am

No its not the French or France. It was owned operated by Bill France, co founder of Nascar. I beleive after his death the family Bill France Jr. continued , but are now called IRC (Inter racetrack org.)? after a merger with Penske. They own most of the big race tracks in America.
Funny they can organize a multi Billion dollar cash cow like NASCAR but motorcycling is sinking into oblivion. Motorcyvle racing has frankly never been popular with the masses in America, on paper it sure seems like a winner, but for reasons unknown to me, Americans just wont embrace, just like that ridiculous sport of soccer they call football...lol
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Hooligan

#4 Post by Hooligan » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:08 am

Back in the heyday of Daytona we used to have watching parties or crowd into a bar with 100 other enthusiasts. Today nobody cares because DMG destroyed Daytona and AMA road racing along with it. I haven't watched the 200 in years now.
'82 RD350LC in '81 colours, OEM pipes, UNI filters
'85 FZ750

wolfman

#5 Post by wolfman » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:31 am

Hooligan wrote:Back in the heyday of Daytona we used to have watching parties or crowd into a bar with 100 other enthusiasts. Today nobody cares because DMG destroyed Daytona and AMA road racing along with it. I haven't watched the 200 in years now.
/\ This right here is your answer. /\
Some of the best builders and racers were there at speed week of the past.
In fact, wasn't the battle of the twins during speed week ?
We all should know who showed up from Christchurch to smash the factory Ducati's to bits.
That my friends is all history.
Welcome to Walmart. :smt014
It's kinda like the shitty choices in American politics today.
Fuckit all, I'm going riding :smt033
84 RZ350 Spec II boost ports shaved head
Y boot 29mm PWKs billet manifold TDR Reeds Spec II pipes
Fox twin clicker JMC Braced swing arm
Tarozzi fork brace
Brembo 19 RCS Master ss lines blue spots EBC Vees
Spec 2 Full Fairing factory Solo Cowl

Hooligan

#6 Post by Hooligan » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:48 am

I never understood why DMG would spend millions to buy AMA Roadracing and then proceed to destroy the golden goose.
'82 RD350LC in '81 colours, OEM pipes, UNI filters
'85 FZ750

Questo vecchio rz

#7 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:49 pm

Last one I watched start to finish was when Matt Mladin , purposely let Ben Spies lead onto the straightaway then drafted the youngster for the win...CLASSIC! Lil Ben was quite upset. He got schooled...lol
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500