Isle of Man TT 2019

Road racing, drag racing, motocross, vintage - anything racing related discuss it here!

Moderator: rztom

JonW

Re: Isle of Man TT 2019

#106 Post by JonW » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:27 pm

LC Cnd wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:14 pm Charlie Williams, who won the TT on a RD350LC (probably heavily modified) comments on the TT. Briefly mentions his RD350LC experience. Background reminds me of Vancover Is. weather today lol.
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... IrclMRsbDM
Charlie had (still has?) a shop in Chester where we used to buy bike gear and parts from him, it was called 'Everything but bikes'. I remember buying an Autissa big bore kit and pipe from him in the early 90s for a tiddler I was rebuilding. The ship is now round the corner from its old location, which is now part of Machine Mart I think, or become something else. I stopped into Machine Mart in June this year but missed out of CW's shop as I forgot it was there as its round the corner. Damn.
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

LC Cnd
-----
-----

#107 Post by LC Cnd » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:28 pm

RZ350 pulls a wheelie at Ramsey Isle of Man TT 1983.
a-yamaha-rd350-lc-pulls-a-wheelie-at-the-ramsey-sprint-isle-of-man-M02T0C.jpg
a-yamaha-rd350-lc-pulls-a-wheelie-at-the-ramsey-sprint-isle-of-man-M02T0C.jpg (196.71 KiB) Viewed 2410 times

RuZty
-----
-----

#108 Post by RuZty » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:37 pm

If you removed the RZ from that picture and asked me when it was taken I'd have guessed at least 10 years earlier...

peddro

Re: Isle of Man TT 2018

#109 Post by peddro » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:09 am

Hooligan wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:43 pm
I really would reconsider taking an LC to IoM.

These bikes are ridiculously expensive over there which makes it a giant target for being stolen. The IoM is not a great place for a bike like the LC because speeds tend to be pretty high and would be easy to seize the thing on a long mountain uphill climb. Additionally it is easy to get the road wrong and go off the edge. There are loads of bike crashes over the 2 TT weeks. You will see lots of mangled bikes being pushed or trailered onto the ferry at the end of race week.

Rent a bike, take all the cost and risk out of it for your LC. Just take pics to show people when you are there. In my two trips to the TT I don't remember ever seeing an RZ or LC on the island.

I take either my LC250 or my TZR535 to the TT each year & have been going every year since 2001 & don't have a problem, I just lock it up to another bike, if it get stolen so be it, as its insured so I would get another one.
I have never had a bike seize on the mountain.
I agree that the LC250 is a bit slow compared to the modern bikes.
However they close the mountain road at the drop of a hat these days to try to stop the carnage.
Even with it now "one way" to stop the head on crashes, they have it closed more than its open. I cant blame them as it must be horrific clearing up after an RTA up there!

I work for a race team at both the TT & the Classic TT
I lent the LC250 to one of our riders so he could get some more laps in before he took part in the Manx GP Newcomers race (Daniel Fernandez) Colombian rider, qualified 3rd but finished 5th, with visor misting problems. A sad case of the 7p's pi$$ poor prep, produces pi$$ poor performance!
Obviously the bike is very slow for him but it still gave him more track time & miles.

Here is the LC in the Paddock.
Image[/url]

At Hillbury watching final practice Friday evening.

The TZR at Conkerfields.

TZR535 in the Classic TT Parade Lap of Honour 2014 at "Creg-Ny-Baa"

LC Cnd
when your there, drop me a line & call in for a chat.

Best regards
Johnny C.

LC Cnd
-----
-----

#110 Post by LC Cnd » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:34 pm

You bet! Made arrangements to stay at a B&B hopefully for 2020. Over Christmas met a gent here in my own town (fm Birmingham orginally) who drove Mad Sunday in 2010 on a Ducati 848 up the mountain run at a claimed 170mph. He was living at the UK at the time and hoping to get some travel tips from him over coffee. All I'm hoping to do is the 'Ton' and I'll be satisfied weather permitting. Battling the issue of dealing with finding a reputable freight forwarder here in Canada. Upside is Air Canada has a deal where you can fly with your bike to Manchaster which is bonus. Gonna take a lot of work let alone $ and not discourage yet. Yet think there is a hole in the bottom of the bucket(list) lol - it started with the bike rebuild. About the paddock photo - it is encouraging to see there is/are nice sunny days at the TT! Which team do you work with?

Smoker

#111 Post by Smoker » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:36 am

Yep. On my bucket list, too.

Probably too late to get reservations for this year, but hopefully next year. [smilie=cool2.gif]

peddro

#112 Post by peddro » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:53 pm

LC Cnd wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:34 pm You bet! Made arrangements to stay at a B&B hopefully for 2020. Over Christmas met a gent here in my own town (fm Birmingham orginally) who drove Mad Sunday in 2010 on a Ducati 848 up the mountain run at a claimed 170mph. He was living at the UK at the time and hoping to get some travel tips from him over coffee. All I'm hoping to do is the 'Ton' and I'll be satisfied weather permitting. Battling the issue of dealing with finding a reputable freight forwarder here in Canada. Upside is Air Canada has a deal where you can fly with your bike to Manchaster which is bonus. Gonna take a lot of work let alone $ and not discourage yet. Yet think there is a hole in the bottom of the bucket(list) lol - it started with the bike rebuild. About the paddock photo - it is encouraging to see there is/are nice sunny days at the TT! Which team do you work with?

Hi LC Cnd

When I am at the TT or the Classic TT in August I work for VRS Racing (Robbie Silvester) he’s a mate of mine from back in the 1980's when we raced together in the 250cc Production class on LC's
The team ran 3 riders at the TT & 2 riders at the Classic TT
The bikes are Kawasaki ER650 supertwins & a Kawasaki ZXR750 in the Superbike class.
We will have 3 supertwins & 1 superbike this year so I won’t get much time to watch any racing & it’s a long time there from 22nd May to 9th June.

link to a few photos from TT 2018
https://www.flickr.com/photos/157250085 ... 5784208694

Classic TT/Manx GP 2018
https://www.flickr.com/photos/157250085 ... 0895524895

The main thing about bringing your bike, is to make sure you will be insured over here.
As I have had a great deal of trouble getting a friend from Australia insured as he’s a none UK resident.
As with everything, their is ways around this. (and it’s Legal) :smt001

As for Mad Sunday, it’s not as bad as it used to be. It’s much safer now its one way on the Mountain from Ramsey Hairpin to Hillberry, but the Police still close it at the slightest incident, as the longer it’s closed the less chances of any accidents, and you cant blame them.
It's good fun up on the mountain road, but needs to be treated with respect if you don’t know where you are going.
I do believe the 170mph up the mountain mile, is easy on modern superbikes, as I have had 155mph on my MV Agusta F4.

We were very lucky with the weather last year for both the TT & the Classic TT in August as for once the UK had a great summer! If you don’t get good weather at the TT, you just go the Pub, & hope the weather picks up for the next day as the organisers usually reschedule the races for the following day.

It’s a great place to go and watch as you are so close to the riders, & you can here the bikes screaming over a mile away as they get closer &closer to where you watch from, the atmosphere is fabulous!

I am very lucky to live so close to it, as I live only 10 miles from the Ferry!

Smoker :-

There are lots of places to stay from Hotels to B&B’s and even “Home stays” where you rent a house for the week, which is very popular now.
http://homestay.miquando.com/Home/Index

I think you would be able to get somewhere to stay, try this link
http://www.ttwebsite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11

However I very much doubt you would get any decent ferry crossings as they all get booked a year in advance, the best tickets get snapped up on the release day!
You could get a flight & then rent a car so you can get about.

You might get lucky with a cancellation as people sometimes sell tickets, try this link
http://www.ttwebsite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=46

I hope this helps.

Best regards
Johnny C.

LC Cnd
-----
-----

#113 Post by LC Cnd » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:14 pm

Thanks for the advised - apreciated. Heh, Johnny noted in your TT photos a Sutter for sale - do you know what the asking price was by any chance. Suspect it be a few quid for all that Swiss R n' D - also did you have a chance to chat them up?

peddro

#114 Post by peddro » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:55 pm

LC Cnd wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:14 pm Thanks for the advised - apreciated. Heh, Johnny noted in your TT photos a Sutter for sale - do you know what the asking price was by any chance. Suspect it be a few quid for all that Swiss R n' D - also did you have a chance to chat them up?
Sorry cant remember the price, however I have a photo of the price on my computer so will let you know tomorrow, as it's very late here now, so won't startup the computer again tonight.
Also have lots of other photos of the Suter as I know the rider Ian Lougher,
so I was in the workshop when the bikes were being stripped down, I was keen to see the Airbox nothing else.
We used to race together back in the 80's in British super-sport 400 class.
However Ian also raced on the roads where as I never raced the roads as I wasn't brave enough, I only raced short circuits.
But still nice to meet up, have a chat & talk $#it.

Best regards
Johnny C.

peddro

#115 Post by peddro » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:12 am

Sorry but their wasn't a price on the advert.

Here's a few photos of the Suter.

Blue & black bike is the 2016 bike
Yellow & Black is the 2018 bike.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/157250085 ... 8768576083

Best regards
Johnny C.

two-stroke-brit
-----
-----

#116 Post by two-stroke-brit » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:12 pm

"if you have to ask" etc etc
350LC,Athena 392 big bore,stock porting,swiss cheese air box,stock reeds,spec11 pipes.(now TSA big bore pipes)
She might not be pretty but she will always be a fun ride

1982 YAMA RD350LC
98KDX 220R
1967 TRIUMPH TIGER
2001 TRIUMPH TT600

steeley

#117 Post by steeley » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:15 am

good luck with your plan to visit the IOM tt . There are plenty of well run camp sites to choose from . I have camped, stayed in home stay ,and had an hotel stay . Must say I enjoyed them all but camping was more of a laugh . There are a few blokes who live there that have got Lc's . https://youtu.be/xLQSzESPDBA

LC Cnd
-----
-----

#118 Post by LC Cnd » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:39 pm

Very interesting tt commentary - starts at 1:28.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMv0ETbbYdk&authuser=0

LC Cnd
-----
-----

#119 Post by LC Cnd » Sun May 19, 2019 5:20 pm

Guy Martin's thoughts on the TT "I don't think the English langage has a word to do it justice..." four days ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tftEVo8du1M

Smoker

#120 Post by Smoker » Sat May 25, 2019 1:24 pm

LC Cnd wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:39 pm Very interesting tt commentary - starts at 1:28.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMv0ETbbYdk&authuser=0
This link didn't work for me. Saw the other one.

Guy is definitely one of the most interesting dudes on the planet.

Thanks for posting the info!