1976 RD400C

Good with a camera? Post pics of your favorite 2-stroke here!

Moderator: rztom

pushstartrearset
-----
-----

1976 RD400C

#1 Post by pushstartrearset » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:56 am

This had a full motor rebuild just about a year ago. Was sucking air and one plug was white while the other was normal. RB Designs rebuilt the top end and crank. I did the cheapest optical trigger ignition you can find (100 bucks for a Crane Cams XR700 car ignition modified for RD400...much thanks to Mark "5150" on the 2SW forum). i have the black box mounted in the tool tray. <---cheap and it works great. What i like is the trouble shooting instructions that came w/ the kit. I found through troubleshooting that the trigger itself was bad (shorting out). Once i replaced this, the bike has been very reliable and smooth. It's really pretty when clean, but that doesn't last long.

Judy and i cannot believe how strongly this stocker pulls off idle. She WAS going to sell it. One ride...NO WAY!! Much to be said for not modifying the stocker, it pulls quite well down low and stock is excellent streeter.

Here's a pic of the bike in the garage cleaned up just today...was pretty grimey. It is one of the cleanest bikes we have....the RD350 used to be the prettiest, but then we had a shed built in the winter and the cold uninsulated shed molded / rusted a few bolts. Shed is now insulated and has a little heater to fight off that stuff..

Current Picture of bike:

Better summer pics right after the engine rebuild:

If you look closely, you'll see the "string"...Now has the HVC BMW style rear master cylinder and that works extremely well. costly, but beats a crusty old master...nobody likes crusty old masters
Image :smt019

we need a good chain guard.
1984 RZ350L (U.S.) Old Toomeys, oil injected!, Y-boot K&N. loctite throttle cable holder on left carb!! , 410 mains, Dynojet needles 2.0 clip, #20 pilot @ 1.5 turn a.s., 240/512 p.v.

silverstrom

#2 Post by silverstrom » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:14 am

Wow [smilie=thumbup.gif] What a beauty!

This old RZ

#3 Post by This old RZ » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:30 am

ITS ALL IN THE COLOR...HANDS DOWN! IMO..the "chappy red" version you have..is hands down the sheer best looking example of a RD. I thought the color was only 1977? but Im not sure,regardless it doesnt matter its a great looking bike,about 2 months ago a guy made a right turn in front of me while I was waiting at a red light and rode down the street,it was a 100% stock chappy red RD with a luggage rack and the rider was about 60-65ish with a old reto open face bubble shield helmet..which I'm sure was original...lol :smt005
I was waiting for the light to change with my gas petal foot ready to mash the petal and see if he wanted to sell it...but he was looong gone :smt013 by the time the light changed. One of only 3 RDs Ive seen on the road in 12 years!!! outside of gathering spots and the 2 stroke shows.
I dont like stock...but that bike does it for me! I'd still put a set of bitchen old school long black DGs on her...then its the BOMB! One day when my Daytona is finished..I'll sell it for a model just like that.

2smoke

#4 Post by 2smoke » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:19 pm

Beautiful bike. Very nice indeed.
:smt038
Colin
79 RD400F Daytona Special
81 RD350LC
89 TDR250
75 Kawasaki H1 500
77 Can-am Tnt250

pushstartrearset
-----
-----

#5 Post by pushstartrearset » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:31 am

Thanks guys. Regarding the RDs. In my immediate riding area, i've only seen (2) RDs in my weekend travels. One was a 75 RD350 at a bar and another guy I actually caught up to on my RD400F daytona....He was riding a white RD250 on one of our backroads here near Amboy, WA.

However, the yearly Sang Froid Two Stroke ride is when the majority of the strokers show up and worth going to. You can see pics of last years ride here (ended up going to a go-kart track for hot laps!).

http://www.rzrd500.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=8965
1984 RZ350L (U.S.) Old Toomeys, oil injected!, Y-boot K&N. loctite throttle cable holder on left carb!! , 410 mains, Dynojet needles 2.0 clip, #20 pilot @ 1.5 turn a.s., 240/512 p.v.