another canadian in alberta

Good with a camera? Post pics of your favorite 2-stroke here!

Moderator: rztom

rzrej

another canadian in alberta

#1 Post by rzrej » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:17 am

Hi, thought it was time to get off my arse and post some pics and brief intro. I have been riding bikes for ages, not necessarily putting on a gazillion miles but spanning almost 40 years. Pics of 3 strokers I have right now plus a couple of diesels. You may or may not recognize the 84 as one of Off Road's extras that he deemed expendable. Works for me, nice bike when I bought it and then I spent a bunch of money on it.

[imgImage

The 250 is an 88 RZR model, Japan only. A guy in Calgary imported a bunch of grey market stuff and this one was deemed expendable by him. That's me, always picking up peoples expendables. We all do that don't we?

[imgImage

The green one is an RZ that you may or may not recognize, I sold it to a friend who posted some stuff on this forum a couple of years ago with regards to some work he was doing on it and then he deemed it expendable so I re possessed it. That is a long story but it is back in my garage, as of a long time ago already and still haven't done much with it.
[/imgImage

Too scatterbrained and and not to mention busy riding the wheels off a couple of other bikes, big bore Suzukis.

However that hooliganized gixxer could be hard on my license so it is up for sale. Trying to concentrate on the small bore stuff.
[imgImage

[/imgImage

The last pics are of a trip I did to Vietnam with my 15 yr old son and 17 yr old daughter in 2008. Went on a 6 day guided tour on these old Minsks, 125cc 4 spd 2 strokers. Once again, you may or may not recognize these (type) of bikes. Google them, amazing really, old dinosaurs from I don't know when but there were 6 people in total, each on their own Minsk and we rode about 550 miles on the trip. There were 3 problems in TOTAL which added up to about 2 hours in downtime. That's it. Never saw the guide so much as change a plug. Miracle or what but your average Vietnamese would put McGyver to shame the way they can fix stuff with not much.

That whole trip too is a long story.......other pic is of the way they mixed the oil, guide would eyeball the tank and decide how much oil and fuel to put in. The attendant would (soup) ladle in some oil (which sure as heck looked like whatever 10/30) and then fill the tank with gas! Away we would go.
Too much fun. Cheers.
[imgImage

[/imgImage

rzrej

a couple more

#2 Post by rzrej » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:31 am

Hahaha, I actually joined in 09 but never posted. Too busy buying and selling bikes and too lazy and bit nervous about posting out on the public interwebs. Don't ask me why just cuz. Mostly lazy is why. Now I have to make up for it right?

2 more strokers that came into and out of my life. The DT fascination stage. Loved the 400 but the brakes were OMG shit scary......if ever a bike pleaded and grovelled for a new gen front end it was that bike. Shame to mess up a stocker was my muddled thinking.

The 200 was a fun bike, even had YPVS, I definitely see another one in my future.

vonzipper

#3 Post by vonzipper » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:17 pm

Welcome fellow Albertan, thanks for sharing your collection of strokers with us, nice bikes I must say. Feel free to post some more,its winter and we're bored.

rzrej

#4 Post by rzrej » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:34 am

Thanks for that, well why not. I have some catching up to do right. I have been a bike addict in the past few years. Gone through so many bikes, just crazy. I like riding different bikes and get bored with some easily. Keep coming back to the RZ's though.

So had a 1990 RZ as well a couple of years ago. Bike was clean, but had a small dent in tank and a few other things. I like those models of RZ's and would get another 350 like that again some time. Pictures of it with the 250.

[imgImage

[/imgImage

[imgImage

[/imgImage

[imgImage

[/imgImage

[imgImage

So of course I made another impulse purchase and got this 01 SV650. It had been raced and so had seen it's days of proper use. I bought it for 2k and promptly signed up for a track day to beat it like the proverbial mule.

[imgImage

The bike had a GSXR shock, springs and or emulators, not sure witch, SS brake lines, piped, jetted, and had sticky rubber. I of course didn't do any of this and bought it off a bike shop where I had got some work done. That bike was so much damn fun! Stopped, turmed, was light and had good grunt. I took a race school course and gave it some more good flogging. So from the first pic I had bought a Dominator dual headlight setup and the small fly screen. Then I got original fairings for it for a great deal and put those on. Bike was rough around the edges, let it go.

[/imgImage

[imgImage

So funny story, the big red tomato in front of me was on a R6, actually a very nice guy. So during one of the sessions I could hear him behind me for a couple of laps. (The track is Stratotech Park, about 15 minutes outside of Edmonton.)
The track is tight and favors a bike like the SV, he eventually passed me on the short straight in front of the grandstands. He overcooked it, locked them up and wound up in the gravel. I remember the instructor telling us that if we stared at the crash we would go right in with him. Go where you look thing right? So I yanked my head away and went around Turn 1 unscathed. Fun stuff.

rzrej

#5 Post by rzrej » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:38 am

Since it its a 2 stroke thread can't too carried away with the 4 strokers. Here is a LC bike I had last year and sold this spring. Wasn't as nice as I originally thought so moved on. That LC for sale on the classified area is very nice. I always liked these.

[imgImage

[/imgImage

nokturnal
-----
-----

#6 Post by nokturnal » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:39 pm

Hey Reg!

Welcome aboard.

Sent you a PM

Off Road
-----
-----

#7 Post by Off Road » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:18 am

Hey Reg. I'm glad you decided to join the party.

The GSXR still looks great.
I can't imagine a license lasting long if you rode that every day.

Hmmm. So you still have the 250. I thought you sold it?

That's a really cool RZ.
Awesome brakes and really light 17" wheels, front and rear.

rzrej

#8 Post by rzrej » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:56 am

Thanks Steve, yes well actually I did sell the little RZ; I know, blasphemy to let that go however I was making up a downpayment on a house and had to sell 4 bikes for some extra money.

So I never deleted the guys contact off my phone and I texted him one day this summer and asked if he would sell it. That very day he had been talking to his wife about moving it as she wasn't riding it. Was supposed to be for her. He was going to post it on Kijiji and I happened to phone him out of the blue. How do you spell it? Serendipitous.

In 2 years they put on about 250k or something so it was in the same shape as when I sold it. It was like a reunion with a kid you gave up for adoption, not really but sort of. It's rough around the edges but has a good potential. Ya with the different running gear the bike is great. Much quicker handling than any 350 I've owned, perhaps the 17 inch front helps lots. Why didn't they put this stuff on the 350's? That would of been awesome.

Hooligan

#9 Post by Hooligan » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:53 pm

Are you in Calgary or Edmonchuck? There are three of us that I know about in Calgary. I am just grtting back into 2 strokes after a long hiatus and i only got my LC recently so I'm always up for a ride if you want to get out.

You are correct, Stratotech is AWSOME for SV's. I had an 03 that took me to the cup. It was loads of fun and I was never bored riding that bike.

If you wanna talk hooligan machines, look into Supermoto. Those bikes are more fun than should be legal on two wheels. They will go anywhere and do iust about anything you can think of.
'82 RD350LC in '81 colours, OEM pipes, UNI filters
'85 FZ750

rzrej

#10 Post by rzrej » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:07 pm

Edmonton actually..............would love to be riding. We had literally pouring rain this morning, er pouring freezing rain and now it is snowing heavily. So the ditches are full and the tow truck drivers are happy.

I would love a motard bike but would lose my license in days. Hard to keep 2 wheels on the ground on one of those.

Hooligan

#11 Post by Hooligan » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:12 pm

Actually the Tards aren't as bad as you'd think. Although it takes a bit if intelligence to consider time and place. We have a group of 8-10 nutters and have had surprisingly few tickets in the 4 years we've been at it.
'85 FZ750

rzrej

#12 Post by rzrej » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:01 pm

Nutters? haha, are you British?

Hooligan

#13 Post by Hooligan » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:12 pm

Nope, born and bred Canadian. But my dad was an expat Brit and I lived in Europe for several years so I'm reasonably comfortable with the slang.
'85 FZ750

rzrej

#14 Post by rzrej » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:23 am

The GSXR situation.
So I bought a 90 1100, had it 7 days, a lady knocked it over with her minivan and then backed up pushing it along the curb. Bike was bashed up bad, she and her insurance cooperated quite well, took that money and bought the 91, blue/white one. Rode that for a couple of years, sold it and the guy crashed it, sigh.

Then I bought the naked one, can't take any credit for that build, was like that. Still have it. Well that pretty much sums up my bikes in the last 3-4 years.

[/imgImage

[imgImage

[/imgImage

[imgImage

[/imgImage