My rz350 race bike

Good with a camera? Post pics of your favorite 2-stroke here!

Moderator: rztom

jord-rz

#16 Post by jord-rz » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:03 am

so race season is starting next week and I am making a few changes to the race bike... I picked up one of these things

The bike right now has the full wiring harness, so I chopped up another one and saved the wires I need for racing.

this is whats left, and im gonna wire up the zeel when I get time.
Im not gonna be running stock motor or exhaust anymore. Glyn stop by job and dropped off a set of pipes and I picked up a set of FZR 1000 friction plates.

also got the cylinder head modded

Glyn is also doing all the port work to my cylinders, I had a peek at them last weekend :smt003 needless to say im gettin pretty excited.

I have the motor out and today I replaced the outside cranks bearings. I ordered them from a local bearing shop, and they were only $11.50 each. I was pretty easy work, (when you have the right tools lol) We have a press and a bearing separator at work, I started out squeezing the separator in the vise and then finishing in the press.

Getting the new ones on was even easier. Just heated the inner race and used some freezing spray on the crank and they just dropped right in.

85' rz350 - R6 rear shock, progessive springs & race tech emulator, Fork brace, steering damper, 01' r1 front brakes, GPL Racing ported cylinders & milled head, GPL Racing gp exhaust, V-force reeds, reed spacers, 28mm PWK'S, Zeeltronic pcdi -10v

aaronmvrider
-----
-----

#17 Post by aaronmvrider » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:24 am

nice pipes and other gear.... you wont know the bike when its tuned for racing...

my bike.... zeel and 4mm stroker... i just got a set of pwk 28 (not fitted yet) and i have a second spare set of barrels awaiting porting.... it will be an interesting comparison when finished (road bike)
1 x 4mm stroker rz 375cc 1983
1 x 7mm stroker rz 443cc 1984 (under construction)
1 x rz 500
1 x mv agusta 1000

slinger
-----
-----

#18 Post by slinger » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:04 pm

Barrels all done just finished honing them yet to chamfer before anyone says lol.

Glyn

slinger
-----
-----

Tesy day

#19 Post by slinger » Mon May 07, 2012 4:32 pm

We had a test day yesterday to get ready to go racing next weekend. Had a few problems leading up to Sundays lol.

From the problems we had on Saturday I didn't get a chance to do any base jetting apart from guessing the main jet, we only got it started at around 10pm on Saturday evening.

So as expected once at the track things didn't quite go to plan :smt012 , started the bike up and tried to get some base setting. It bogged as soon as you twisted the throttle:( and we didn't have any larger pilot jets.

So screwed the mixture screw closed and and upped the idle and all was good.

All in all the bike ran very well, but just didn't sound like Jordan was revving it going down the straight, so I told him to rev it down the straight and hit the rev limiter and look at the rev counter, we then removed the rev counter lol.

I counted 40+ plus laps in all of flat out riding with no problems, until it ran out of fuel.

Great day some pic's of the bike.

silverstrom

#20 Post by silverstrom » Mon May 07, 2012 5:22 pm

Were you at Shubenacadie Glyn? Sounds like a fun day.

slinger
-----
-----

#21 Post by slinger » Mon May 07, 2012 5:49 pm

silverstrom wrote:Were you at Shubenacadie Glyn? Sounds like a fun day.
Yeah I was their, had a real good day John. Nice to get to a track again even if I'm not riding lol.

rajat.narang23

Re: Tesy day

#22 Post by rajat.narang23 » Mon May 07, 2012 10:46 pm

slinger wrote: I counted 40+ plus laps in all of flat out riding with no problems, until it ran out of fuel
Even on less than optimal jetting? That's pretty impressive! :smt023

jord-rz

#23 Post by jord-rz » Tue May 08, 2012 12:03 am

Definitely was a good weekend. feeling a lot better on the track and the bike. Both are still new to me. Really didnt have any problems like glyn said except at the end of the day when I ran out of gas on turn 4. The bike felt down on power when I got some gas in it and rode it back to the pits. But I believe that was just because it was loaded up with oil. I didnt run it hard on the way back up and when we checked the plugs they were very oily. I took a compression test tonight and got 150 psi on the left and 155 on the right, so were doing pretty good :smt003 . I pulled off the cylinders and on both pistons there is some light scoring and in the bores there is some also. Not bad enough that i can feel with my finger nail except one spot at the bottom corner of the sleeve on the intake side :smt013. But for a really dumb mistake I got very lucky. Also the head is perfect. So glyn has some oil stones to clean up the high spots on the pistons and the cylinders could use a light hone. Ill throw some pics of the damage up tomorrow.
85' rz350 - R6 rear shock, progessive springs & race tech emulator, Fork brace, steering damper, 01' r1 front brakes, GPL Racing ported cylinders & milled head, GPL Racing gp exhaust, V-force reeds, reed spacers, 28mm PWK'S, Zeeltronic pcdi -10v

wvwrz500n

#24 Post by wvwrz500n » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:41 pm

slinger wrote:Barrels all done just finished honing them yet to chamfer before anyone says lol.

Glyn
Glyn,

Great minds think alike. Nice looking work!

Regards,
Bill Wilson
Wilson Performance
Lee's Summit, MO
www.wilsonperformance.net
Member RZ500 Owners Group #573