My rz350 race bike

Good with a camera? Post pics of your favorite 2-stroke here!

Moderator: rztom

jord-rz

My rz350 race bike

#1 Post by jord-rz » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:57 am

Hey, been watching the forum for a little while now. I just recently purchased this rz, as well as a bunch of other parts to build another one!
its got a stock motor, fox rear shock, fork emulator and progressive springs in the front. steering damper, One off fork brace, R1 front brakes, and stock canadian pipes.

I will start another thread for the street bike im building. its gonna have:
fzr600 swingarm
cbr f4i shock
ported cylinders
28mm pwk
stock reed cages w/ bansee reeds or similar.
inverted fork front end (still unsure of what im gonna use)
frame braced
ect ect...
85' rz350 - R6 rear shock, progessive springs & race tech emulator, Fork brace, steering damper, 01' r1 front brakes, GPL Racing ported cylinders & milled head, GPL Racing gp exhaust, V-force reeds, reed spacers, 28mm PWK'S, Zeeltronic pcdi -10v

slinger
-----
-----

#2 Post by slinger » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:20 pm

Nice :smt003

Are you going to race it J, if so have you got any info for the regs and class up at shoodie.

Glyn

L.B

#3 Post by L.B » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:58 am

Ah huh,I did spy another race RZ there lol.....
That fork brace looks serious buisness as with the brakes!
This is great,look forward to any more info on the bike.Esp the disc rotors fitted to the RZ rim!

crazydiablo

#4 Post by crazydiablo » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:05 am

That bike looks sweet. No aftermarket pipes?
1984 RZ350 YPVS 31K
1987 RD350 A/C
2009 Husqvarna SM610

jord-rz

#5 Post by jord-rz » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:57 am

Glynn, I am going to race it, starting next year. As far as classes, I think its 2 or 3 i can race in; vintage class, the sportsman class ( i think) and a class called formula 46, where the age of the rider plus the age of the bike must be over 46. Although many riders in this class are older or close to 46 and running modern sportbikes. This is the ARL website for more info: http://www.atlanticroadracing.com/
check out the forum for rules and registration info. glynn are you thinking about racing next year? it would be nice to see another rz out there!
L.B the rotors have holes drilled to match the rz wheel and the calipers have been spaced out by a custom bracket.
85' rz350 - R6 rear shock, progessive springs & race tech emulator, Fork brace, steering damper, 01' r1 front brakes, GPL Racing ported cylinders & milled head, GPL Racing gp exhaust, V-force reeds, reed spacers, 28mm PWK'S, Zeeltronic pcdi -10v

slinger
-----
-----

#6 Post by slinger » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:53 pm

Cheers J I'll have a look into that. Now that I know there is some racing going on up there I might be interested in that. In a more "gentleman league" lol.

As for RZ well the cases maybe RZ but that will be about it lol.

I know I shouldn't of sold my bike

Glyn :smt012

silverstrom

#7 Post by silverstrom » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:36 pm

slinger wrote:I know I shouldn't of sold my bike

Glyn :smt012
Maybe Eric will sell it back to you. It never hurts to ask. Or...you can always build a new one. We'd all like to watch that build unfold.

cbirk
-----
-----

#8 Post by cbirk » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:57 pm

silverstrom wrote: We'd all like to watch that build unfold.

Yes we would! :smt003 :smt003
1982 CB750f SS
2005 CRF50
2006 YZ 144

This old RZ

#9 Post by This old RZ » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:11 pm

NICE BIKE :smt002 Sounds like fun. Assuming your not a racer,but new to roadracing,If your experienced and know what direction your going,no need to read much further. But if this is new to you ,some suggestions ,that I think will benifit you :smt001
Keep your FOX shock!!,get it rebuilt,the CBR shock will be TOTALLY USELESS for racing,the Fox shock is FAR better. It should be Adj,and ride highth Adj and valved,sprung correctly..the honda shock conversion is sutibale for street only at best..its all wrong :smt002
The bike you have is a fairly capable machine as she sits,and will more than likley be FAR slower around a racetrack if you just throw a used shock/front end conversion at it.

Dont skimp on your shocks/brakes..before any engine,chassis work etc.. SORT YOUR SUSPENSION use a quality"racing " shock. You could do a front end conversion..but again probably not required a good set up front end ridden well,is just as fast for 90% of racers,if you must do a conversion I'd look at used TZ front ends..complete w wheel. Your suspension is JOB NO.1. get your suspension conversion set up/revalved etc..Dont just use what you bolt on :smt011,youll be sorry.

You dont really need any chassis reinforcing..but it wont hurt if you want to.
Swingarm FZ600,Its tried and true,but I'd recommend a metachex or JMC if you can locate one. Id still try to locate a complete 88-89 TZ rear and front complete with wheels! Buy a roller and utilize the parts.there getting very hard to find now and prices are going up. As MODERN TIRES WILL BE YOUR LARGEST ADVANTAGE.
Although your pipes are as heavy as boat anchors,they perform quite decent and ...they crash well :smt001 there solid. So you might not want to blow too much on your exhaust pipes,but again you will lose close to 15 lbs by changing them,thats pretty serious thing to consider,free power,costs nothing other than a set of cheap used chambers.

As for the porting,and carbs..no problem there,you have a guy close to you that can set you up on that front. Not too sure of the PWKs, but I've heard good things when dialed in. Being a race bike, Youll have to check and re-jet for each race day/track anyways.
Have fun and post updates,

BTW,what you have is pretty capable as is,you might want to run her as is for awile to see how it performs give yourself a good solid platform for a baseline.

jord-rz

#10 Post by jord-rz » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:46 pm

RZ thanks for the info, but all those modifications are for the street bike im building. Next season will be my first racing season so im pretty new lol. As for the race bike, im keeping it as is for a while. my suspension is pretty spot on for me, and the motor i wanna keep stock untill i finish throwing all my money into my street bike build lol!

Off Road
-----
-----

#11 Post by Off Road » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:16 pm

That's a cool looking bike.
I definitely like the seat and fork brace.

Badass

#12 Post by Badass » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:49 pm

That's a great bike, and I like the stockness of it all. It's got all the right stuff, just enough to make it a hoot to ride and not be to expensive to maintain. It probably has a super smooth power band with that stock pipe! It looks like it has a oversized radiator from the picture, is it? Just awesome.
Two strokes keep the mosquito's in check!!
1984RZ350 Bought with 2,600 mi. in 1998
SpecII Pipes, Complete engine rebuild, 30's, S. 1 Porting, Clutch, Self ported reed cages, T.D.R. reeds, Fork brace, Steering damper.

jord-rz

#13 Post by jord-rz » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:46 pm

Today I finished up winterizing my bikes, figured I'd take some pics of them too.
my 03 ZX6R 636
My race bike naked, I installed some clipons and had to make some brackets for the upper fairing. The 636 in the back with my girl's Ninja 250 in behind
here are some pics from the brackets I made. Their nothin special, or pretty lol! But their functional, I save weight, and they were free.
I just gotta weld on a couple washers on the back of the bottom bracket to space it out a little. Then paint.

slinger
-----
-----

#14 Post by slinger » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:35 am

Hey J it's amazing what paint covers up :smt002

Glyn

jord-rz

#15 Post by jord-rz » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:44 am

haha ya it looks a lot better with some paint. like is said the brackets aren't gonna win any beauty contest lol. Im gonna throw another coat of paint on tonight, ill post some pics of the finished product after.