New to RZs

Good with a camera? Post pics of your favorite 2-stroke here!

Moderator: rztom

kpke
-----
-----

#106 Post by kpke » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:17 am

:smt023 :smt026 :smt038 :smt041 :smt109

that is very cool

congratulations

BrianT
-----
-----

#107 Post by BrianT » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:56 pm

It was raining today, so we didn't get a chance to do a heat cycle. But it did allow us to do a couple of other things that needed to be done.

I started tracking down my no dash light problem. We checked all the connections at the instrument cluster. We had power to the blue wires on both connectors and both black wires were grounded properly. We tore the cluster apart and found that all three bulbs were burned out. Go figure, 28 year old Yamaha bulbs being burned out. The good news is, they are standard 158 bulbs available at any parts store. Replaced the burned out bulbs and now I have dash lights!!

While we had everything torn apart, I mentioned that the handlebars/hold down area looked kind of shoddy. Next thing I know, we had it all torn down, including the top triple tree. Everything was blasted, primed and received a fresh coat of satin black paint. Should look real nice when it goes back together. Here is a pic before paint, including the Telefix fork brace that will be installed with new hardware.

Big thanks to member cbirk. The temperature sending unit that he sent me for free showed up today. It will go in next time I am out at Bill's. Something about running a new engine and not knowing what the temp is bothered me...

The plastics are done but I didn't get a chance to go by and pick them up. Maybe tomorrow.

1984 RZ350L
Many thanks to www.WilsonPerformance.net !!!

BrianT
-----
-----

#108 Post by BrianT » Tue May 01, 2012 7:59 am

Got some more work done last night. We got another heat cycle in, but I have a howling that is coming from the tach that needs to be addressed. We cleaned and lubed the tach when it was installed but the noise came back. I don't want to ruin another tach. :smt011

I put the plastics on, but just sat the cowl over the rear seat for now. It was getting late and I didn't have time to start poking holes in my seat for the mounting bracket. I am going to hold off on remounting the belly cowl until after we are done tuning. The EGT holes will be drilled in the pipes and covered by the cowl. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic in the low light.

The paint is pretty close and to the uniformed, I'm sure it will be fine. My wife couldn't see what I was so upset about. To anyone who knows that it has been repainted, you can spot the difference and a few flaws in the clear coat. But it looks okay for a rider, and that's what I plan on doing!

1984 RZ350L

BrianT
-----
-----

#109 Post by BrianT » Fri May 04, 2012 7:49 am

Finally got to go on a decent ride last night. It was only fifteen minutes long, and I still had to keep the rpms low, but it was enjoyable.

I disconnected the tach at the back of the cluster because I didn't want to take any chances of damaging it while riding until I get the whirring noise sorted out. I got about a block away, and the noise came back. I guess it is coming from the speedo instead!! So we will be pulling the cluster back apart for the third time to clean and lube the speedo assembly. This is a 3K mile speedo that I bought off of Bill, and we just installed it as is. Hopefully we can get that sorted out.

While the engine was cooling down in front of the fan. I installed the Telefix fork brace. We scuffed up the powder coat and then shot it with primer and paint, but the finish didn't turn out as nice as some of the other pieces. It's not horrible and I'm not going to mess with it, it's just not perfect.

We should be taking the bike to the tuner's shop soon. He has several projects that he is working on and we have to work around his schedule. The next step will be to weld bungs to the pipes for the EGT sensors. Then we can begin the tuning process.
1984 RZ350L

NJRZ350

#110 Post by NJRZ350 » Fri May 04, 2012 10:32 pm

Bike is looking great so far. Have any pics of the finished triple clamps and bars?

BrianT
-----
-----

#111 Post by BrianT » Sun May 06, 2012 8:57 pm

NJRZ350 wrote:Have any pics of the finished triple clamps and bars?
Here is a pic I took today. Again, crappy cell phone with bad light but you get the idea.

I also picked up this used Harbor Freight lift today off of Craigslist. They are on sale for $419, but no one in town has them. This gal had an ad from a month ago asking $299 obo. I picked it up for $200.

1984 RZ350L

steveloomis
-----
-----

#112 Post by steveloomis » Sun May 06, 2012 11:01 pm

I do like the lift...
'81 RD350LC hybrid w/84 RZ engine. Zeel, Old style Toomeys, Yboot and filter 420 main 22.5 pilot, Air screw 2.5 turns out, DJ needle 2nd from top, Canadian VM26 carbs.
'85 KR/RZ US. Tank is seeping causing a blister in paint.....

L.B

#113 Post by L.B » Mon May 07, 2012 2:12 am

Brian,I have been reading & watching this whole thread,I must say I think its really cool you & Bill have been able to do all this work & get her back on the road.
One little RZ to be proud of! :smt007

BrianT
-----
-----

#114 Post by BrianT » Wed May 09, 2012 7:48 am

I haven't been able to make it over to work on the bike for the last couple of nights, but that doesn't mean that nothing is getting done! Bill welded in the bungs for the EGT sensors.

And mounted the Digatron to the handlebars.

Hopefully, we can get this thing dialed in over the weekend and I can start putting some miles on it!!! :smt003
1984 RZ350L

Badass

#115 Post by Badass » Wed May 09, 2012 7:55 pm

Man, I hope you can post up some video of that guage being used to tune, or a post tune run, exciting stuff. I was lucky enough to get my bike tuned without a EGT, but would have been nice to have some diagnostics on board. Like the tail piece and what looks like an aftermarket radiator.
Two strokes keep the mosquito's in check!!
1984RZ350 Bought with 2,600 mi. in 1998
SpecII Pipes, Complete engine rebuild, 30's, S. 1 Porting, Clutch, Self ported reed cages, T.D.R. reeds, Fork brace, Steering damper.

BrianT
-----
-----

#116 Post by BrianT » Fri May 11, 2012 12:45 am

We zero'd out the parameters and went for a little ride tonight. Got to put about 20 miles on it, and even got to take to 10 grand...once. The night was cool and temps never got above 700 degrees or so. Here's a shot showing all the electronics and sensor wires.

Bill is going to order an assortment of pilot jets tomorrow, and we will start messing with the carbs as soon as we get them. I still have to mount the solo cowl while he plays with the carbs.

The speedo and cable have been lubed and the howl went away. :smt020
1984 RZ350L

BrianT
-----
-----

#117 Post by BrianT » Sat May 12, 2012 7:59 pm

We leaned out the pilot jets today and pulled out the B8ES break in plugs in favor of some B8EGs. I also got to take the bike out for an extended ride. Part of the ride was spent holding the throttle in predetermined positions and then pulling over to write down RPMs and EGT readings. Bill said once we get the pilot jets close, we will start playing with the needle clip adjustment. The mains will be the last step in the tuning process and we will leave that part to Mike the tuner.

While Bill was working on the carbs, I pulled the bad temp sensor and replaced it with the free one I got from cbirk. Now my temp gauge works. Slowly but surely, we're getting the bugs worked out.

I also got to ride it home for the first time in five months. On the way home, the idle came up about 1k rpm and then I lost the right cylinder! I didn't know what to do. I was too far away to turn around, so I pulled over and the engine died. My heart sank. Turns out, I was out of gas. I moved the Pingel to reserve and she fired right back up and it ran like a champ. I felt like a dumb ass. Live and learn I guess. Now I know what the bike feels like when it is running out of gas!
Last edited by BrianT on Sat May 12, 2012 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1984 RZ350L

silverstrom

#118 Post by silverstrom » Sat May 12, 2012 8:33 pm

Be careful Brian. Running out of gas with a 2 stroke can get expensive, especially if you're at high speed.

BrianT
-----
-----

#119 Post by BrianT » Sat May 12, 2012 8:38 pm

Yeah, luckily I was sitting at a light waiting for it to change. I noticed the RPMs come up and just as the light changed the cylinder went dead. It didn't occur to me that it might be low on gas because we had the tank off earlier and it felt like it had at least a gallon in it. When I got to the gas station, it took 4 gallons to fill.
1984 RZ350L

reddog952
-----
-----

#120 Post by reddog952 » Sat May 12, 2012 9:26 pm

I have been following this build since the beginning and just want to say: You guys are doing a great job!!! The bike looks fantastic and it should go like a raped ape when you get done runnin' her in. I hope you post up a video or two of her in action... :smt023