New to RZs

Good with a camera? Post pics of your favorite 2-stroke here!

Moderator: rztom

BrianT
-----
-----

New to RZs

#1 Post by BrianT » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:09 pm

I bought the bike in this thread and thought I'd start my own thread.

http://www.rzrd500.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=7305

I've always wanted a RZ since they first came out, but could never swing it. I started looking again last spring but hadn't found anything interesting. Mostly overpriced rattle can restorations or rat bikes that needed tons of work but still had a pretty big price tag.

I saw the bike above listed on Craigslist across the state, and when I started researching it more, I found it listed here also.

It's a pretty solid bike (other than the seized engine). The guy who sold it to me was a retired Illinois highway patrolman who had several other nice bikes. He had bought it this summer from his neighbor who had two RZs. He had done some work to the bike since buying it. Mostly taking things apart, cleaning them real well, painting them if necessary, and putting them back together. Kind of a rolling restoration. Then for no reason, the engine died while riding it one day. After further inspection, he found that the right cylinder had seized. Rather than stick a bunch of money into it, he decided to sell it. That's where I came in.

We drove across the state last Saturday, and found the bike just as he had described it. Pretty solid, numbers matching bike. A deal was struck and the bike loaded on to my trailer. We drug it home the next day.

Plans are to see what's going on with the engine and then slowly continue the work that he was doing. It's not going to be a restoration because of the changes that have been made already. It has the Toomey intake and Spec II pipes, but I don't know what else has been done to the engine. As pointed out in the other thread, one of the cylinders has been changed.

Here is a link to more pics of the bike.

http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b253/bdtunks/RZ350/

I want to make it a nice presentable bike that I can ride to local shows and bike nights. I plan on doing a lot of reading here and look forward to your input and comments on my build. :smt023
Last edited by BrianT on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
1984 RZ350L
Many thanks to www.WilsonPerformance.net !!!

aaronmvrider
-----
-----

#2 Post by aaronmvrider » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:21 pm

well done looks a beauty... best place to be on this forum for help and advise...

Aaron
1 x 4mm stroker rz 375cc 1983
1 x 7mm stroker rz 443cc 1984 (under construction)
1 x rz 500
1 x mv agusta 1000

JonW

#3 Post by JonW » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Exciting times Brian! nice bike! :smt003
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

wicked motorsports
-----
-----

#4 Post by wicked motorsports » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:08 am

oh oh... the addictions begins! good times!
Wicked Motorsports Inc.
10552 Stanford Ave.
Garden Grove, CA 92840
The United States
http://www.wickedatv.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1-714-530-2215 fax 1-714-530-2217
E-mail: roger@wickedatv.com

BrianT
-----
-----

#5 Post by BrianT » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:13 am

I spoke with Bill Wilson at Wilson Performance last night.

http://www.wilsonperformance.net/index.html

He is local to me and seems like a real knowledgeable guy when it comes to RZ engines. He is just finishing up a customer's RZ500 and is anxious to get started on my project. I think this is his busy season and he wants to jump on mine before the projects start piling up. That's great for me!!

We are discussing my options with the engine and I haven't decided which way I want to go yet. My first inclination was just to get the bike back on the road as cheaply as possible and save some money for other details of the bike that need attention. Stick new pistons in it, clean things up a bit and ride.

Then I started reading Wicked's stock cyl 4 mm stroker thread and my head started to spin...

http://www.rzrd500.com/phpBB3/viewtopic ... cc&start=0
Last edited by BrianT on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
1984 RZ350L

aaronmvrider
-----
-----

#6 Post by aaronmvrider » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:52 am

:smt005 :smt005 your already reaching for the paypal account buttons
1 x 4mm stroker rz 375cc 1983
1 x 7mm stroker rz 443cc 1984 (under construction)
1 x rz 500
1 x mv agusta 1000

BrianT
-----
-----

#7 Post by BrianT » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:54 am

Tore into it a little last night. Found out that what the different positions are on the petcock while gas poured all over the garage floor! The previous owner had the bike stored in the Prime position. :smt018

I found some rigged up wiring that will have to be sorted. The primary wire that goes to the positive battery post has two crimp connectors on it and the wire is WAY too small. Someone added an in-line fuse to the negative cable which also has too small of a wire. The PO told me there was a problem with the fuse box and rather than fix it correctly, he just added another circuit with a modern plastic fuse. Again... :smt013

While I was fiddling about with it, I noticed some of the tabs are cracked and broken on the tail piece and it looks as though something is missing in the back near the tail light? Is this where the tool kit should be maybe?

1984 RZ350L

Evans Ward
-----
-----

#8 Post by Evans Ward » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:45 am

First, welcome and enjoy your new RZ! :smt006 :smt001

Yes, the tool kit goes back in the tail piece and is secured with a large rubber strap. I put together a make shift tool kit and strap to meet my needs.

I'd repair and reinforce those cracked mouting tabs too. Take the piece off and repair. Do a search as there are plenty of ways to repair this. Best part is the repairs will be site unseen with the seat secured.

Check your fuse box connectors- betting they are brittle/ fragile. Brittle and fragile do not work well with connectivity. You have 4 circuits on there- main, turn signals, headlight, and ignition. Yambits out of UK sells a nice factory replacement OR replace it cheaply with a low cost blade type auto application one.

With the petcock and bike stored on prime, I'd be careful and pull the plugs and kick it over (key off) to expel excess fuel and prevent hydrolock just in case your carbs floats weren't working as designed. You don't want to bend a rod from kicking it over with a crankcase full of gas.
84 RZ350-Toomeys,SCR milled head, stk 26 carbs,300 M, 35 P, stock regrooved needles AS 2.5 turns out,stk air box,Banshee reeds Zeel non-progr CDI,TSRL Program YPVS,alum rad,R6 shock,GV emulators w/RT springs,fork brace,Shindy steering damper.

cbirk
-----
-----

#9 Post by cbirk » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:15 pm

BrianT wrote:The PO told me there was a problem with the fuse box and rather than fix it correctly, he just added another circuit with a modern plastic fuse.
My bike was the same way when I got it. I'm building a new fuse block and doing away with the chincy stock one.

But ya, Welcome to the forum and enjoy her. Oh, and keep that wallet handy at all times. Don't even think about putting it back in your pocket. . :smt003
1982 CB750f SS
2005 CRF50
2006 YZ 144

Don T.

#10 Post by Don T. » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:12 pm

Nice looking bike; have fun getting her going again! :smt002

Don T._____ NN4S

RuZty
-----
-----

#11 Post by RuZty » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:57 am

Looks nice, lots of potential there. Yamaha should have shipped these with a bag of in-line fuse holders for later use when the crap fuse boxes failed. The cracked tab on your seat should have a tubular spacer on the bolt to stop that from happening. SpecII pipes are decent too.

kpke
-----
-----

#12 Post by kpke » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:41 am

That sure is a nice looking bike.

But unfortunately PO's suck as they always rig everything half assed for the next guy to fix.

This is a cheap fuse box fix. Silverstrom and others have done things a little differently.

savethe2strokes

#13 Post by savethe2strokes » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:54 pm

Looks like a solid base. My bike is a rider. It has a great running engine and suspension, but could use some cosmetic help. If I still have it in the spring or something we should get a ride together.
85 RZ350-Messed up wiring

BrianT
-----
-----

#14 Post by BrianT » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:56 am

Bill Wilson came by the house last night to take a look at the bike. After pulling the plug on the seized cylinder it became painfully obvious that the engine was going to need more than just a top end.

I knew it was bad, but Bill informed me that the piston was probably no longer in one piece and the engine would need a complete rebuild.

He spent almost two hours at my house discussing various aspects of the build and what my options are with the engine. They range from rebuilding the engine back to basically stock specs with a little tweaking here and there (expensive) to building a 421 Cheetah Cub engine (really expensive!!).

I guess it all boils down to "How fast do you want to go?" Great. Just in time for the holiday season...
1984 RZ350L

BrianT
-----
-----

#15 Post by BrianT » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:30 pm

Bill came over tonight. We loaded up the bike and he took it back to his shop. Even though he had somewhere else to be, he tore into the engine just to see what was up.

When he pulled the right expansion chamber off, this is what came out. Pieces of the right piston.

He pulled the oil drain plug and at first, fresh clean anti-freeze came out but soon changed to fresh clean oil. I'm beginning to think that they guy who sold it to me didn't tell me everything that he knew...

Most of the bolts that we removed were just snug and not properly torqued, which leads me to believe that someone tore into the engine and realized that they were in too deep and then buttoned things back up.

Bill will continue to tear the engine down over the next couple of days. When he knows the full scope of the damage, we are going to get together and discuss which direction we will go with the build.
1984 RZ350L