New to RZs

Good with a camera? Post pics of your favorite 2-stroke here!

Moderator: rztom

wvwrz500n

#136 Post by wvwrz500n » Thu May 31, 2012 5:51 pm

Brian,

Many thanks for a great build project. It did run a little more than you wanted in the beginning but man look at what you ended up with.

Thanks for all your effort and just hangin out in the shop, the life of a tuner can be a little lonely at times.

I never want to discredit a product outright and only want to say that the SPEC II pipes are not suited to the 4-mil stroke this engine is built with. After all they were designed for a 54mm stroke.

I look forward to doing some riding with you and hanging out as our schedules allow.

Great looking and now running bike!

Sincerely,
Bill Wilson
Wilson Performance
Lee's Summit, MO
www.wilsonperformance.net
Member RZ500 Owners Group #573

This old RZ

#137 Post by This old RZ » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:44 am

You wont really know whats going on for sure with the Spec2 pipes until you run it vs another set/brand or on the dyno..but from my personal experiance with older Spec2s, My Toomeys performed,quite a bit better. However these were 1984-85 Spec2 pipes,not his newer dimensions F1s ?

Wicked..I belive might offer a stroker pipe...I'm pretty sure he built some. Slinger did also..but as in a recent post hes not making them anymore..thats always been the problem with"custom" pipes from various different tuners/builders...if you ever bin it,or want another set your pretty much out of luck,without again having to pay a premium to have them duplicated.

I cannot recommend any pipes as you have a stroker engine,Im sure you can locate some, a stroker based design sould ideally be optimal.
I'm also sure you could utilize a non stroker design to give very good results. I've seen many,many,many killer RZs from 50h.p to close to 80 flat out rock with Toomeys and Rogers spigot o-ring design is a treat! I have set of LomasGPs and to be honest they perform just like the Toomeys did,on a rushed dyno day but that was okay for me,I was sold once I saw that. I suspect the dual pipes might perform better...as Ive heard a few folks claim they have a high celing,but also thats on a stock stroke'port engine.
What would be cool is if you could get some pipe donations for testing...and document your testing and results..but ...you live way out there...LOL!
Good luck,I like Gary@ Spec 2 but I think swapping pipes if you have early versions will yield ,quite a gain and a decent amount of weight as mine were really heavy,

BrianT
-----
-----

#138 Post by BrianT » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:02 am

This old RZ wrote: What would be cool is if you could get some pipe donations for testing...and document your testing and results..
Yeah, that WOULD be cool. Maybe a stroker pipe shoot out?!?

We have narrowed it down to Roger's stroker pipes and Glyn's. Bill and I are in the process of trying to weigh the different factors and look at all of the charts and graphs, it's enough to make your head spin!!

Glyn's pipes are nice. But I have been unable to determine whether they fit with the lower belly cowl of my RZ. This would be a deal breaker. Also, his price is the same as Roger's, except his pipes don't come with silencers. But if I bought his, I could get the nice TZMike carbon fiber silencers. Roger's pipes are tried and true. See?!? It's enough to keep you up at night!!! :smt009
1984 RZ350L
Many thanks to www.WilsonPerformance.net !!!

BrianT
-----
-----

#139 Post by BrianT » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:01 pm

My buddy and I rode to a vintage motorcycle show today!! We parked outside with the rest of the ride ins, but my bike drew a lot of attention. People were waiting for me to take off my helmet so that they could ask me questions or tell me a story about their friend that used to have one. I had to stand there almost thirty minutes talking before we could even look at the other bikes!! Not that I didn't enjoy answering their questions. :smt003

There were at least two hundred bikes there, and mine was the only RZ. I really enjoyed not being on the same bike like everyone else. Here's a shot after the crowd dispersed.

On the way out a crowd started to gather as I put on my helmet and gloves. I was never so happy as when that bike started on the first kick and I saw everyone smiling as I rev'd the bike a little. :smt020
1984 RZ350L

steveloomis
-----
-----

#140 Post by steveloomis » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:01 am

A crowd pleaser you were.... Fun stuff.
'81 RD350LC hybrid w/84 RZ engine. Zeel, Old style Toomeys, Yboot and filter 420 main 22.5 pilot, Air screw 2.5 turns out, DJ needle 2nd from top, Canadian VM26 carbs.
'85 KR/RZ US. Tank is seeping causing a blister in paint.....

BrianT
-----
-----

#141 Post by BrianT » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:30 pm

Yeah, it was a good time!! I was invited to put my bike into this show coming up next month.

I'll at least ride down there. I don't know about showing my bike, it's supposed to be a rider.
1984 RZ350L

Evans Ward
-----
-----

#142 Post by Evans Ward » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:01 pm

A rider, huh?? :smt002 I think not unless you want to say it's a very niiice rider! :smt004 You should do well in the show and I'm hoping you will an award of sorts. Would love to hear the comments the by standers said about your bike at the show pictured. Which bike is your buddy's? The Triumph to the left of that nice RZ?
84 RZ350-Toomeys,SCR milled head, stk 26 carbs,300 M, 35 P, stock regrooved needles AS 2.5 turns out,stk air box,Banshee reeds Zeel non-progr CDI,TSRL Program YPVS,alum rad,R6 shock,GV emulators w/RT springs,fork brace,Shindy steering damper.

BrianT
-----
-----

#143 Post by BrianT » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:13 pm

Evans Ward wrote:Would love to hear the comments the by standers said about your bike at the show pictured.
It was really weird as I'm not used to all the attention. When I was parking, some guy came up and patted me on the back and said "nice job"!! I was like, WTH?!? Another guy gave me a high five on the way out. My buddy just shook his head. :smt011

All of the comments have been positive so far. Like I said before, everyone knew someone or used to own one themselves. I think this next show will be a little smaller and is geared towards Asian bikes, so maybe I won't get lost in the crowd so much. As you can see, we were packed in like sardines there. People couldn't really walk around the bike and take in all of the little details that Bill and I worked hard to incorporate.
1984 RZ350L

wvwrz500n

Finally!

#144 Post by wvwrz500n » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:15 pm

Well we finally got the new pipes sorted and installed. Made arrangements for the final tuning and made a little video after it was all done.

It is a real beast of a machine, pulls like a freight train from everywhere. Get's a bit hairy on these two lane roads at 115mph too! Note the 90mph wobble!!!! Happened so fast I didn't have time to pucker. But it smoothed out right after so no worries.

Overall I am very please with the outcome. It is conservatively jetted and will run well over several degrees of temperature change right now (safe!). Probably another 3-5% on the table if we wanted to go racing. Brian's not road racing and he wants it to be rather worry free.

It's been a labor of love and I've made a new friend and riding partner in the process. I hope to see some of you all looking me up for future work. I'm sure I can make your bike just as potent. (BTW the 115mph run wasn't quite topped in 5th). All stock gearing and loads of power to pull it all the way out, just not on these roads!!!

Enjoy...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc-aeHm7 ... e=youtu.be

Regards,
Bill Wilson
Wilson Performance
Lee's Summit, MO
Member RZ500 Owners Group #573
816-377-3185

steveloomis
-----
-----

#145 Post by steveloomis » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:39 pm

Good strong sounding run.
'81 RD350LC hybrid w/84 RZ engine. Zeel, Old style Toomeys, Yboot and filter 420 main 22.5 pilot, Air screw 2.5 turns out, DJ needle 2nd from top, Canadian VM26 carbs.
'85 KR/RZ US. Tank is seeping causing a blister in paint.....

aaronmvrider
-----
-----

Re: Finally!

#146 Post by aaronmvrider » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:25 pm

1 x 4mm stroker rz 375cc 1983
1 x 7mm stroker rz 443cc 1984 (under construction)
1 x rz 500
1 x mv agusta 1000

aaronmvrider
-----
-----

#147 Post by aaronmvrider » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:30 pm

:smt007 :smt007 that is working very strong bottom end etc...

nice work...
1 x 4mm stroker rz 375cc 1983
1 x 7mm stroker rz 443cc 1984 (under construction)
1 x rz 500
1 x mv agusta 1000

NJRZ350

#148 Post by NJRZ350 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:30 pm

Nice work and great video. Wants to make me get mine back on the road now!!!

BrianT
-----
-----

#149 Post by BrianT » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:36 am

I finally got a chance to do some riding yesterday, and I have to say that the new pipes really woke the bike up. As you can see in the video, it wants to lift the front tire through the first three gears when power shifting. I am going to have them ceramic powder coated this winter (which is quickly approaching) so I am just running them raw steel right now.

We have another antique bike show coming up next Saturday. I think we have about five two strokes that are going to ride in together. I'll take plenty of pics.
1984 RZ350L

BrianT
-----
-----

#150 Post by BrianT » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:05 am

We rode in to the show yesterday with my RZ, Bill and Steve's LCs, Tom's RZ500 and each of us got a ribbon! It was a cool show and lots of old bikes. We rode up into the yard where the vintage bikes are shown like we owned the place!!

It is mostly a HD crowd, but there was a lot of interest in our bikes. You could tell who the real motorcycle guys were. They respected our bikes and the work that has been put into them. The streets around the show were lined with HDs that looked like they were kicked out by a cookie cutter. My buddy saw three new Harleys that looked EXACTLY like his. Where's the fun in that?!?
1984 RZ350L