new member from vancouver

Good with a camera? Post pics of your favorite 2-stroke here!

Moderator: rztom

sesshomaru

#16 Post by sesshomaru » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:53 am

Por15 is OK but Kreem? Ugh, don't even bother.

I avoid putting anything in the tank if I can though...not hard for me to ride the bikes and fill it up and I've noticed that the more a bike gets used with fresh gas frequently being pumped into the tank, the better the tanks get. My RD400G was a rusty mess but it's pretty nice now.

EDIT: Of course, that doesn't mean it restores lost material... :smt003
I'll bet it jiggles when she walks.

silverstrom

#17 Post by silverstrom » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:42 pm

Kreme is well known to be crap.

Any liner, even the epoxy liners can be problmatic. I recently had a tank with Caswelll epoxy liner go bad. The lining came off in 3 inch chunks. It looked fine last year and this year it was a mess. It can be removed with the correct paint stripper. I agree with Ruzty, if you don't need a liner, don't use one. As a last resort they are fine, but when used there is always the risk that at some point you'll have a bigger problem. POR-15 would be my choice if a liner was the only hope of saving the tank.

Evans Ward
-----
-----

#18 Post by Evans Ward » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:04 pm

I've done both my H2 and RZ tanks with the multi-step POR15 kits. As Iron mentioned, you must follow each direction to the "T" and cut NO corners for it to work as intended. The first tank I did was on my '72 H2 a few years ago and I was told by some that the chemicals in the kit wouldn't hurt the paint- WRONG! I got some on the paint which was nice (professionally painted) and it bubbled and peeled the paint. I was so distraught that I stopped the tank prep and mailed the tank with remainder of the kit to my painter. A few hundred dollars later and all was well again. Live and learn as I did so take heed....
84 RZ350-Toomeys,SCR milled head, stk 26 carbs,300 M, 35 P, stock regrooved needles AS 2.5 turns out,stk air box,Banshee reeds Zeel non-progr CDI,TSRL Program YPVS,alum rad,R6 shock,GV emulators w/RT springs,fork brace,Shindy steering damper.