1987 RZ350

Good with a camera? Post pics of your favorite 2-stroke here!

Moderator: rztom

Kazz

#16 Post by Kazz » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:51 pm

Johnny, check all the wires and there connections under the gas tank of your 500. Mine did it too me at the track one day and I couldn't figure it out for the life of me. One of the bullet connections were loose and it would start and run fine, but once revved up, all the vibration led to a bullet connection making it missfire, felt like it was really really rich... My own fault, I think when I rebuilt the motor, I disconnected some wires and failed to properly reconnect one of the connectors... i hope that is all it is. Rob was saying it mabye needs a snorkel for the forest rides... Just kidding.

Snoopjonnyjon

#17 Post by Snoopjonnyjon » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:07 pm

It had occurred to me that one of my under water adventures could be to blame.

I'll start with a fresh plug and checking the connections. If that doesn't work, I think I will replace the plug wire and just start working my way back to coil and CDI until it fixes it. It's a pretty simple system. Not that many parts that could be bad.

I cleaned and pulled the carb, inspected the reeds... and thought that cleaning the carb fixed it. I rode it for 5 minutes and thought it was fixed. That's when I tore apart the RZ. When I got it apart, dad wanted to go for a ride checking on crops, so he rode the KLX and I rode my KX. Worked well until it got warm, and then started misfiring. That getting warm affected it makes me think it could be coil.

Kazz

#18 Post by Kazz » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:41 pm

Ya, could be a coil.. I also had problems with the spark plug cap, I have replaced it a few times on mine and I keep a spare, seems to break and pull the metal out of the cap and it stays on the top of the plug, the bike has always stayed running even with the broken parts, that spark jumps gaps pretty good... Good luck with the issue. You should go for ride with us at the lake sometime...

Snoopjonnyjon

#19 Post by Snoopjonnyjon » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:24 pm

Buffalo Pound? I'd like to see where you guys ride. Even with the KX500 down I still have the KLX and Gasgas running well.

Snoopjonnyjon

#20 Post by Snoopjonnyjon » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:04 pm

I made a couple passes with it at the drag strip this weekend. The first pass I almost flipped over backwards, had to let off, and then ran 14.40@102. Second pass I was overly cautious on the line, bogged hard, and then did 14.30@100. The mph shows I just suck at riding.

Today I swapped a 15T front sprocket on.

wicked motorsports
-----
-----

#21 Post by wicked motorsports » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:26 pm

lol... need to slip the clutch like your trying to burn out the clutch at 10K and let the bike stand on a wheelie floating the tire at the same time with the clutch when you launch it. That wheel base is way.... too short for Drag racing. Thou I'm sure you had fun either way. be real careful... Cause i hate for you to be this guy HAHAHA

http://youtu.be/oBtnC6JnifA

I take it you got her more dialed in now and running much better?
Wicked Motorsports Inc.
10552 Stanford Ave.
Garden Grove, CA 92840
The United States
http://www.wickedatv.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1-714-530-2215 fax 1-714-530-2217
E-mail: roger@wickedatv.com

aaronmvrider
-----
-----

#22 Post by aaronmvrider » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:17 pm

did someone say trials event to him :smt005 :smt005 :smt005
1 x 4mm stroker rz 375cc 1983
1 x 7mm stroker rz 443cc 1984 (under construction)
1 x rz 500
1 x mv agusta 1000

Snoopjonnyjon

#23 Post by Snoopjonnyjon » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:36 am

I wasn't quite as bad as that guy. :smt005 Like you said, I just need to abuse that clutch more than I had been. I mostly just wanted a place to run it with the silencers off. It sounds like the world is coming to an end just straight out of the stingers.

The bike is running very well now. The 15T sprocket made it a lot nicer to ride as well. I didn't even have to take a link out of the chain.

Snoopjonnyjon

#24 Post by Snoopjonnyjon » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:15 pm

A few more pics :smt003

gpaddict

#25 Post by gpaddict » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:08 pm

Noice! Yeah, the bike too!!!
tuned to Paris Hilton specs............rich and retarded!

This old RZ

#26 Post by This old RZ » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:23 am

nice bike,IMO your bike should be able to run down the 1/4 mile well over 2 seconds faster than what you did. And your MPH is nowhere near where it should be,to me it shows the engine is not making power. Im no expert just an enthusiast. But a 100% bone stock RZ could lay down 13 second flat times. Even with a average to lousy launch you should have been able to beat that. Either your launch was really bad,or something was really wrong with the overall engine setup..or both. Perhaps its the altitude where you live,Im not sure how badly it effects performance. In 1986-88 my RZ managed to hit on average high 11s-low 12 second passes @ a sea level 1/4 dragstrip with a 375cc Spec 2 built engine.All day long. So you definatley had something wrong.

A 15 tooth front,without lowering your bike and a engine capable of 80-100 h.p..will be impossible to launch hard at least it would have been for me. And on the street a 15 tooth severley limited cruising ability,burt it worked fantastic for the drag races.
If you go dragracing again after you have sorted the tuning issue, some quick simple things you can do @the track in about 1/2 hr.
1.) Lower your forks in the triples as low as you feel comfortable with On your bike Id remove your fairing lowers as you might smash it if you wheelie to high.
2.) Drop the rear shock as far as you can.
3.) Reduce your tire pressure maybye 10lbs to start.
4.) Id also suggest that you go up to a 16 tooth to aid your start until you learn how to let it go hard. Sometimes you have to go backwards to go forewards.
5.) Practice sliping and releaseing the clutch
I know the big bore engines areVERY,VERY hard on the clutches and transmissions and sprockets..so go easy and practice smooth steady launches,DONT blip the throttle and try to get a good launch just hold it @ a med steady RPM where you can feather it out and release it full throttle with your front tire perhaps only hovering a few inches off the gound as you pull your feet back up. Just remember ,practice smooth,even throttle control like a machine and think of the throttle like a trigger. I think youll take 2-3 seconds off your ET. I havent thrown a leg over a drag RZ in 20 years but reading your post,makes me smile as much as the lil lady on the seat would