2smoke introduction

Good with a camera? Post pics of your favorite 2-stroke here!

Moderator: rztom

2smoke

2smoke introduction

#1 Post by 2smoke » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:27 pm

Ok so i have been posting a little on this forum, i have been a member for a year. I tripped over this site while looking for RZ350 parts to put on my 1979 Yamaha Daytona Special. Even though i didnt own a RZ350 i liked to read the stories and posts here. There are some great 2 stroke owners here!
The other 2 stroke sites have bad apples ruining them.....
So i became interested in these RZ350s as i have never owned one but i have had alot of bikes , 2 and 4 stroke. I want to see what all the fuss is about. Why people spend all their time and money to restore or modify these bikes. I already know that they sound great and put out good HP.
I met a few forum members last summer at the Icehouse Restauraunt in Campbellville Ontario, a local Sat+Sun bike meeting spot. I met Intrudin, Rusty, RDJim and loved their bikes.
So when i read a post by Silverstrom a while back that said he would consider selling his red+white 87 CDN bike to purchase a NS400 or RZ500, i contacted him.
We exchanged many emails, pictures and such and then visited each other to look at the bikes and trade stories, and struck a deal. His place is a 3 hour drive in Winter weather so we were each serious. Silverstrom is a great guy, very helpful and knowledgeable on these bikes. Do not hesitate to make a tranaction with him, he is a rock solid buyer/seller. Although i cant see him selling anything else !LOL!
So he now has a NS400R to play with and i have a 87 RZ350 that has been gone over with a fine tooth comb.
He kept his stock pipes and included a set of DG pipes which i will be using. I need to hear that engine and stockers wont do for me!
I am sure their are various opinions on these pipes out there but so far they look to be good construction and sound great. I am going to jet for them and get a dyno number soon.
So what plans do i have for the bike? Only powdercoating of the grab handle, top triple tree and clipons to restore them to new condition.
Then i am going to ride the tires off it! Heres some pictures of the bike in its new home.

Oh BTW my names Colin
Any comments?
:smt003
Colin
79 RD400F Daytona Special
81 RD350LC
89 TDR250
75 Kawasaki H1 500
77 Can-am Tnt250

silverstrom

#2 Post by silverstrom » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:21 pm

Thanks for the kind words Colin. I think you'll love the 87 as much as I did. Great idea powder coating those parts. They're the few things that always bothered me because they weren't prefect. I bet those DG pipes would look good in powdercoat too.

I'm looking forward to getting started on the NS. It's in near perfect condition and ready to go, but I want to poke around a bit and make sure I'm familiar with everything. It will nice to be able to compare it and the RZ back to back. I think you'll notice the difference right away. Can't wait to show up at the Icehouse with it!

It seems my passion for spare parts (read parts whore) applies to the NS400R as well. I've already spend a bundle, but feel comfortable knowing I have whatever it might take should a problem arise. Still, there's always room for more :smt003

I'm just an RG away from my dream team.

John

intrudin

#3 Post by intrudin » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:08 pm

Congrats to both of you :smt003 Colin welcome to the dark side. looking forward to the ice house spring is here., and im waiting for my pistons to arrive :smt013 :smt013 living on the edge
Jimd

89 RZ 358 Hybrid under construction

Tin-man

#4 Post by Tin-man » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:49 pm

silverstrom wrote:Thanks for the kind words Colin. I think you'll love the 87 as much as I did. Great idea powder coating those parts. They're the few things that always bothered me because they weren't prefect. I bet those DG pipes would look good in powdercoat too.

I'm looking forward to getting started on the NS. It's in near perfect condition and ready to go, but I want to poke around a bit and make sure I'm familiar with everything. It will nice to be able to compare it and the RZ back to back. I think you'll notice the difference right away. Can't wait to show up at the Icehouse with it!

It seems my passion for spare parts (read parts whore) applies to the NS400R as well. I've already spend a bundle, but feel comfortable knowing I have whatever it might take should a problem arise. Still, there's always room for more :smt003

I'm just an RG away from my dream team.

John
Post up some pics of the Ns400R when you get some. I would love to see it. I would also like to hear what your thoughts are on the comparison between the NS400R and the RZ350.

silverstrom

#5 Post by silverstrom » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:29 pm

Tin-man wrote: Post up some pics of the Ns400R when you get some. I would love to see it. I would also like to hear what your thoughts are on the comparison between the NS400R and the RZ350.
Hope to have her ready and out by the end of April. I'll get pics up as soon as I can.

I'm looking forward to a back to back comparrison, although it will likely be unfair with my modified 89. Still, it will be fun to see the differences. The NS handling should make the RZ feel like a truck.

John

nokturnal
-----
-----

#6 Post by nokturnal » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:32 pm

silverstrom wrote: The NS handling should make the RZ feel like a truck.
a bold statement...

silverstrom

#7 Post by silverstrom » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:27 am

nokturnal wrote:
silverstrom wrote: The NS handling should make the RZ feel like a truck.
a bold statement...
Yes, but a well know fact. I have quite a bit of literature on the NS that dates from the late 80's to the present day. Every single comparison between the NS and its rivals has placed the NS ahead in handling. It is the one thing it excels at apparently. The NS is better known for it's handling than anything else. The RZ is said to have a better powerband and I expect the RZ will outperform the NS regardless of the extra HP of the NS. There is about 40cc difference in engine size. Is that enough to make a huge difference. I'll let you know soon.

My RZs handle well. Not great, but well. It won't take much to handle better than the RZ, but that's just my opinion. When you get out this way this summer you can try it and tell me what you think. I'll follow you on your RS :smt003

2smoke

update

#8 Post by 2smoke » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:15 pm

OK so i have an update. The DG pipes are now ceramic coated satin black and repacked with fmf fiberglass.
Clipons, top triple, bar ends, rear grab bar are powdercoated semigloss black. Runs and sounds awesome in person.
Thanks again Silverstrom! [smilie=friends.gif]
A video:

http://s1179.photobucket.com/albums/x38 ... nt=rz2.mp4
Colin
79 RD400F Daytona Special
81 RD350LC
89 TDR250
75 Kawasaki H1 500
77 Can-am Tnt250

silverstrom

#9 Post by silverstrom » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:13 am

Sounds awesome. After hearing yours I need to get get mine out now. Looking forward to riding with you.

Don't believe what anyone tells you....the red ones are faster :smt003