new guy intro

Good with a camera? Post pics of your favorite 2-stroke here!

Moderator: rztom

camaroguy

new guy intro

#1 Post by camaroguy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:47 pm

Hey, been lurking for awhile figured it was time to post a pic or 2 of my upcoming project.I bought this bike and another like it as kind of an impulse purchase.having poked around here for awhile I now have the rz bug.I recently completed my other bike gpz1100 kaw and am looking forward to doing kind of I guess a hybrid style rz.this bike and the other havent been run in awhile so id like to get running.any suggestions on where to start and look for would be much appreciated.these bikes were raced and look to have some pretty decent parts on them.p.o says motor is all toomey stuff.whatever that means?cant wait to rip into it.[img]http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr57 ... /003-2.jpg[/img][/IMG][/IMG]

Off Road
-----
-----

Re: new guy intro

#2 Post by Off Road » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:16 pm

Welcome to the forum.
I like the seat on your bike. Looks great.

Having the RZ bug is not good. It's not dangerous, but it is expensive. :smt003

camaroguy wrote:Hey, been lurking for awhile figured it was time to post a pic or 2 of my upcoming project.I bought this bike and another like it as kind of an impulse purchase.having poked around here for awhile I now have the rz bug.I recently completed my other bike gpz1100 kaw and am looking forward to doing kind of I guess a hybrid style rz.this bike and the other havent been run in awhile so id like to get running.any suggestions on where to start and look for would be much appreciated.these bikes were raced and look to have some pretty decent parts on them.p.o says motor is all toomey stuff.whatever that means?cant wait to rip into it.

:smt003

RZResurection

#3 Post by RZResurection » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:05 pm

Welcome aboard!!

Bike (the pictures of the yellow one that I could see) looks to be in great shape. I think that you are pretty lucky there.

Hope you got a set of chambers/pipes between the two bikes. Get those on the bike.

Looks like your short a couple of plugs and the boots between the airbox and carbs.

Get yourself a service manual and do some reading.

How long ago was it running? If it hasn't been too many years, odds are it will start without too much trouble.

I'm sure that I'll get pissed on here, and I know that I'm making some assumptions (like barrels are in good shape, the carbs are not full of shite, etc, etc)

If it is actually in as good of shape as i looks, I'd put some 2 stroke oil in the cylinders and hand crank it over, lube the barrels. You have to make sure that the autolube system works or you'll smoke the top end. If the tank looks clean - no gunk or shite in it, you could probably premix some fuel and try to run it. One you've read up on what to look for with the autolube system, you check to make sure that it works while running some pre-mix.

A name like camaroguy, I'm sure that you know some basic engine/mechanical stuff. These bikes are relatively simple. Remeber no overhead valves or timing chains. :smt002

Good bunch of guys here, you'll be able to get with pretty much anything you need, even parts.

Get that 2T oil burning, you'll learn to love the smell
Jeff

Trying to build a bike that's as fast as my memories
87 Canadian 1WV
OEM Pipes
Gutted Airbox
VF4 Reeds
Milled Head (0.020")
Main 240
Pilot 27.5
02 R1 Front End
R6 Shock and Rims (180 Rear Tire)
84 FJ1100 Swingarm

gpaddict

#4 Post by gpaddict » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:16 pm

Dude, nice bike, but um...... cover the toes man :smt003
tuned to Paris Hilton specs............rich and retarded!

silverstrom

#5 Post by silverstrom » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:59 pm

Off Road wrote:Having the RZ bug is not good. It's not dangerous, but it is expensive. :smt003
Yep.Wish I would have know that 3 years ago :smt003

camaroguy

#6 Post by camaroguy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:59 am

I do have a set of toomey chambers to go on it. sorry about the knarly looking foot didnt notice it was in the picture.what do you guys think about running amsoil mix. I used to use it in my sons dirt bikes seems to burn pretty clean.like I said this bike was a race bike so the pump and oil injectoin has been removed. Im going to take your advise and lube it up real good put a battery in it and see if it will crank.the tank has been sealed with this red stuff so no rust issues.I still plan on at least pulling the bowls off the carbs to check for crud.keeping fingers crossed.oh yea, I do know of money pits.but at least what im pi#@$ing my money away on can be used and enjoyed.

RZResurection

#7 Post by RZResurection » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:07 pm

When you get your bike going (and start riding), I'll place big money on the fact that you'll love it so much that you'll never use harsh words by calling it a money pit ever again.

It will become the next love of your life, and all money put towards it will be "justifed", "money well spent", "a complete necessity" - you get the picture - words right out of 2T junkies vocabulary - a true sickness. LOL
Jeff

Trying to build a bike that's as fast as my memories
87 Canadian 1WV
OEM Pipes
Gutted Airbox
VF4 Reeds
Milled Head (0.020")
Main 240
Pilot 27.5
02 R1 Front End
R6 Shock and Rims (180 Rear Tire)
84 FJ1100 Swingarm

SCREAMER

#8 Post by SCREAMER » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:56 am

Welcome to another member of the BOW TIE brigade & now an owner of the King Kenny racing replicas :smt006
Firstly toomey is a good word in our world of RZ,S ,your good as gold as long as the engines internals are in good usable condition .
just beware after the 1100 gpz youll be like "is this thing even on?" when not in the powerband :smt017 .
but once on the gas hard , the RPMS raise & the engine screams youll enjoy the ride youve got.
those carbs are like brand new so youll just be cleaning up a bit & hopefully you can kick it & rip it as spring has sprung :smt004 .
one thing a bit off is the clear coating on the ypvs engraved into the cylinder head,once its get to that color bad things have happened inside the top end.
be wise & pull off the cylinder head to ensure that your first ride will not be a one way trip.
I don,t mean to be a kill joy & i hope all has been freshened up B4 that king kenny ride came your way.
its got all the right aftermarket racer stuff so your way ahead of the game even if the engine needs some new parts.
again welcome & hopefully youll post pictures while you do your thing with your powervalver.
original owner of the roberts replica

This old RZ

#9 Post by This old RZ » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:20 pm

lOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE A REMOTE RESV SHOCK,AND YOU HAVE TOOMEY PIPES,AND PWK CARBS,THAT IS A NICE $2500.00 DOLLARS IN PARTS RIGHT THERE :smt002

THE PIPES ARE BASICLLY THE BEST YOU CAN GET,YOU WONT NEED ANYTHING ELSE.SEE THEIR WEBSITE FOR ANY INFO. IF YOU HAD ANY MOTORWORK,CRANK,PORTING ETC..,DONE BY THEM IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A WHILE AGO LATE 80s EARLY 90s. IF SO ,YOUD BE LOOKING AT AROUND 65- 69.H.P. WHICH IF THAT IS THE CASE IS PRETTY DAMMED GOOD,and about as far as a rz can be reliably taken without stroker cranks,cylinders etc... BUT YOUD HAVE TO INSPECT THE INTERNALS AND SEE WHAT YOU HAVE,OR SEND IT OUT TO SOMEONE WHO KNOWS THESE ENGINES. WHERE DO YOU LIVE ,TRY TO FIND A RZ GUY LOCAL TO YOU,I WOULDNT DO TOO MUCH UNTIL YOU INSPECT THE ENGINE,BUT YOU MIGHT GET LUCKY.

some quick contacts for engine advice are
Gary@SPEC2
Scott clough racing SCR RACING
MBSTEVE member here on the website
Roger@ Wicked Motorsports, all these guys are west coast.

BTW THE OLD GPZ 1100s ARE FRIGGING COOL :smt001

camaroguy

#10 Post by camaroguy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:33 am

.I bought a battery and started farting around with the bike this weekend. found I had no spark and when the key was on had lights in dash but no spark and no power to coils. took all plugs loose and cleaned and greased pins. still no spark.still no power valve movement or spark.kinda think the cdi might be bad.so i decided to pull the other bike out and mess with it.running out of time I put the new battery in it and tried the key.power valve operated and all lights work.im thinking ill mess with this one first.this one is a 85 with more stock parts.oh yea,my 1100 is pretty quick but,ive seen enough videos of rz's and cant wait to ride it.im thinking it will be kinda like a quick 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.yee haw.

ricar

#11 Post by ricar » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:41 pm

Before you try to start it at least pull the pipes off and look at the barrels insides.
84 RZ. Half naked, SpecIIs, GSXR front end, FZ swingarm, SV rear wheel, trail tech speedo/tach

camaroguy

rz

#12 Post by camaroguy » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:36 am

I think I found a local guy to go through the rz.took a tour of his shop the other day.WOW.he used to drag race tzs then decided to start road racing.all that work and effort for only a few seconds riding time didnt make alot of sense to him.his dad built motors for alot of the big time drag racers back in the day so he had access to alot of good machinist equipment.the man knows his 2 strokes. he currently builds 200 hp 2 stoke jet skis.cnc machines and the know how to use them.I told him I just want a good running RELIABLE bike.cant wait for him to tear into it and tell me what I got.

cbirk
-----
-----

#13 Post by cbirk » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:11 am

camaroguy wrote:Hey, been lurking for awhile figured it was time to post a pic or 2 of my upcoming project.I bought this bike and another like it as kind of an impulse purchase.having poked around here for awhile I now have the rz bug.I recently completed my other bike gpz1100 kaw and am looking forward to doing kind of I guess a hybrid style rz.this bike and the other havent been run in awhile so id like to get running.any suggestions on where to start and look for would be much appreciated.these bikes were raced and look to have some pretty decent parts on them.p.o says motor is all toomey stuff.whatever that means?cant wait to rip into it.[img]http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr57 ... /003-2.jpg[/img][/IMG][/IMG]

Welcome to the site new guy. Lots of great people and info to be had here. Don't let the dick heads drive you out like they have others. As long as you don't act like you know something, don't let your opinion out, and ignore them you'll be ok. It's not their fault, they were raised poorly I guess.

Oh, and btw, I absolutely love your AMA/CCS decal on your bike. Do you have an extra one? I will pay $$$ lol. Good luck with your project. Hybrid RZ is the way to go IMO.
1982 CB750f SS
2005 CRF50
2006 YZ 144