bought some toomeys

Good with a camera? Post pics of your favorite 2-stroke here!

Moderator: rztom

kpke
-----
-----

bought some toomeys

#1 Post by kpke » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:39 pm

In my quest to find a set of used pipes for this (need to learn how to make pics smaller, sorry)

I found this

for $600. I am showing the good side in the photo above. It was crashed pretty good but (in my opinion) not good enough to part out. I believe I will fix it up. It runs, the pipes survived almost unscathed, a couple tiny dents on the right one. Tank is mashed but holds fuel. Fairings on right side need repair as does the tail. I will post many questions in other sections.

Here is the bad side

I found this bike on this forum (thank you very much!!!)in the classifieds advertised as 1985 Yamaha 350 RD...located in the bay area $750. Called and spoke to a nice guy at a tow yard and he emailed some photos. It was crashed, then towed to their yard and it was never picked up. I went there the next day, last Saturday, after my son's baseball opening ceremonies, bought it and made it back just in time for photos/first game (they won 8 to 1).

The two bikes together

So I still need a set of pipes for the the r/w/b.

Smoker

#2 Post by Smoker » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:17 am

$750??? [smilie=ohmy.gif]

Congrats!! Even with the crashed bodywork -- that's a super deal!!

Did you fire it up?

Yamaha85

#3 Post by Yamaha85 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:54 am

[smilie=clap.gif] niiiiiice!

kpke
-----
-----

#4 Post by kpke » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:13 pm

Smoker I ended up paying $600 I feel fortunate paying that amount for this bike.

Yes it fired up. But idled real high I think because it has a kluged up throttle cable. Played with it a bit and got it to tone down a bit but this is the first item of many to fix/replace. It is possible that this may have caused the crash. The cable is home made, single at the twist grip, then spliced to 3 for the carbs and oil pump. Ran it for about 1 minute.

Like I said above I will post ?s in other sections of the forum when I get a few minutes.

Smoker

#5 Post by Smoker » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:46 pm

kpke wrote:Smoker I ended up paying $600 I feel fortunate paying that amount for this bike.

Yes it fired up. But idled real high I think because it has a kluged up throttle cable. Played with it a bit and got it to tone down a bit but this is the first item of many to fix/replace. It is possible that this may have caused the crash. The cable is home made, single at the twist grip, then spliced to 3 for the carbs and oil pump. Ran it for about 1 minute.

Like I said above I will post ?s in other sections of the forum when I get a few minutes.
It will take a bit of work to bring it back to primo condition, but you made a great deal. It's definitely worth well more than that in the parts alone.

The sticking throttle cable could have caused the crash, but who knows - from the looks of the bike, the previous owner was into racing or at least racing bikes.

I really like the rear sets on the yellow bike, but I see that the brake lever is wasted from the crash. I'll bet someone like RGVSteve could make you a new one - if you can't find a direct replacement.

kpke
-----
-----

#6 Post by kpke » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:00 am

Found replacement tarozzi parts here

http://guzzino.stores.yahoo.net/collectibles.html

I thought these parts would come from Italy or ? but they ship out of CA.

Thanks for the RGVSteve tip!!!