New guy -

Good with a camera? Post pics of your favorite 2-stroke here!

Moderator: rztom

Yamaha85

New guy -

#1 Post by Yamaha85 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:37 pm

This is a relatively small community- and I am sure some of you have seen this post on another board, but I was hoping to get maximum exposure in an attempt to get all the advice I can....

Heeeeere we go (again)

So I picked up this 85 RZ last thursday-

Story was this....
Seller bought it from the original owner after the original owner (a road racer) blew the engine. The bike had been sitting for years after the engine blew so Seller bought it from him and rebuilt the top end.

He claimed to be an engine builder, tossing out drag racer names etc etc. "I got a shop, Hayabusa, ZX14, etc, blah, blah, blah"

So he explained to me that he bored it out- really?
How much?
He couldn't tell me/remember, he just started rambling off bullshit numbers.

Bike fired up easily and ran fine, but it was dirty. Smoked liked a two stroke should- a little noisy....
Then I asked him about how much you have to disassemble the rear cowl just to fill the oil tank- He looked at me as if I had asked him how many quarters do you need to make a stack of quarters three feet high. OH FUG ME I thought to myself.
So I started to do some serious thinking about other RZ's for sale elsewhere.
We haggled a bit- came to an agreement, made the exchange and I got the hell out of there without the "new bike" feeling.

When I got to Chattanooga Squidwerd was waiting for me and we went to work immediately. I was amazed at what I found inside.
It was pretty damn dirty considering how clean the external parts were...

Spiderwebs (with spiders) all up under it,

gravy came out of the case seriously GRAVY- that explained why the engine was a tad louder than it should have been.

Turns out the oil pump was being bypassed. Which explained why the tank was bone dry. (Note the leaking exhaust gasket)

Of course Seller didn't know what the hell I was talking about when I asked about the oil, so he sure as hell didn't know what pre-mix ratios would mean.

So with that in mind Squidwerd and I drained the gas tank- cause who knows what is in it.
We thought ahead just enough to drain a sample from the petcock into a clear Aquafina bottle and let it settle. Saw a nice layer of very clear possibly water at the bottom of the bottle and then a layer of what I suspect was non pre-mix gasoline.
So we left the tank open for evaporation overnight-

We cleaned the K&N stacks, flushed the lower case with transmission fluid- then put some short term oil in it, flushed the coolant system and topped it off again. Cleaned the spark plugs, lubed the chain, and gave the spiders a serious acid bath.

So it seems that the seller bought this RZ two years ago shined it up got it running made it great- then let it sit for two years basically untouched.

The next day after adding some fresh pre-mix, Squid and I rode out for some lunch just a few miles from the garage (with a truck on standby).

The bike did great to lunch, and on the way back I decided to open it up and see what the engine could do.
The tires are old crap and the suspension is garbage, but in a straight line at 30mph just under the powerband at 5000 RPM in first gear I whacked the throttle -- the rear tire spun up the back end went sideways and just as the rear grabbed traction the front end came off the ground. So yeah - two strokes do indeed kick ass.

So - We loaded it back in the truck and I took the bike all the way back to Nashville-
Got some in depth work started and began to feel much better about the purchase-

Even took some glamour shots -

Fortunately- I seem to have a solid powerplant in a clean platform, but lots of work to do with tires, brakes and suspension at least that's what I thought.....

Then I began to notice that every time I put that bike on the sidestand it seemed to be at a different angle (steeper).
So I put it up on the centerstand and start to tug on it to ensure it isn't loose
and thats when it happened.............

I could only stand there in astonishment..........
So other than replace the entire frame... what the hell am I to do about this???

T.RexRacing

#2 Post by T.RexRacing » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:55 pm

It can be repaired.Either weld a new piece in or reweld the one that broke off.Just have a good welder do the job.Of course that's just my opinion someone will came along and say just the opposite.I'd repair it and forget about it.

smurph

#3 Post by smurph » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:05 pm

Weld it up. If you are in Nashville, take a 2 hour ride south to my house and we'll fix it up. The rust is probably not what caused the break. It probably suffered kick stand trauma. Even if it is rusted out, I think we can insert a bit of tubing in there and get it fixed up.

I wish I hadn't thrown my old frame away that I cut up. I cut the sub frame off of it to put on my 350 because the previous owner cut all of the tabs off for racing. Otherwise, it would have been a nice tube donor for you. :( But we can bend a piece of like diameter tubing to replace yours pretty easily.

Steve
Fuel Injected RZ350

Badass

#4 Post by Badass » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:01 pm

From what I can see you got a dam nice bike just weld it up and get on with it. You'll probably encounter some other small problems but this is a good platform from what I can see. Most of the time when you get one of these very old 2t's you have to rebuild and replace a bunch of stuff if you want a fresh feeling bike anyway.
This is a weak point now so do a good job with the weld patch. Keep the weld cool maybe stitch weld it and dont bother grinding the weld, leave as much meat as possible, just make it a pretty weld, or reinforce. Also you might cheat the kick stand out just a smidge so it doesn't rub the pipe like some do. Like Smurph said it probably got wacked by a car.
Two strokes keep the mosquito's in check!!
1984RZ350 Bought with 2,600 mi. in 1998
SpecII Pipes, Complete engine rebuild, 30's, S. 1 Porting, Clutch, Self ported reed cages, T.D.R. reeds, Fork brace, Steering damper.

T.RexRacing

#5 Post by T.RexRacing » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:29 pm

Yeah so much stuff can happen in 25 years.Overall it looks like a nice project.Have it repaired,spend some more on tires and stuff.Then go riding it'll be warmer soon.

Smoker

#6 Post by Smoker » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:02 pm

smurph wrote:If you are in Nashville, take a 2 hour ride south to my house and we'll fix it up. Steve
Take the opportunity to meet Steve!

Besides getting your frame fixed right, you'll probably learn more about your RZ in an hour than you'll want to know.

The bike looks pretty good. Thumbs up for the OEM solo tailpiece. :smt004

Yamaha85

hmmm

#7 Post by Yamaha85 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:47 am

Thanks for the advice guys -

Steve - I would love to have you take a look at this bike.
I have been to Cullman a couple of times doing work at the Hospital down there, so I know how long a drive it is.

Do you weld?

smurph

#8 Post by smurph » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:24 pm

Yes, I weld. I have a nice TIG with a full bottle of gas just waiting to get a hold of your kickstand. :)

Steve
Fuel Injected RZ350

RICEBURNER

#9 Post by RICEBURNER » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:39 pm

Yamaha85,

Same thing happened to my frame last summer. No problem welding it up. Just be sure to preheat before welding. The frame is Chrome Moly tubing but the side stand tab is cast steel.
The "gravy" looks a bit milky in the picture. Might want to check the water pump shaft and seals.

Nice find.

Badass

#10 Post by Badass » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:14 pm

Dito on the water pump seal, I meant to mention that.
Two strokes keep the mosquito's in check!!
1984RZ350 Bought with 2,600 mi. in 1998
SpecII Pipes, Complete engine rebuild, 30's, S. 1 Porting, Clutch, Self ported reed cages, T.D.R. reeds, Fork brace, Steering damper.

Yamaha85

ping

#11 Post by Yamaha85 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:44 am

smurph--
You have a PM :smt003

Yamaha85

ahhhhh

#12 Post by Yamaha85 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:40 am

BIG Shout out to Smurph-

That guy has it goin' on. Took a couple of hours out of his Saturday to help out a total stranger, and got that silly kickstand welded right back where it belongs. I am totally grateful-

Like I said - You give me a shout when you are ready to come north and I'll be more than happy to show you some great roads outside of Nashville.

Bring that 500 :smt016

smurph

#13 Post by smurph » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:09 pm

Yeah, I'd like to get up there for a ride for sure!

Steve
Fuel Injected RZ350

This old RZ

#14 Post by This old RZ » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:43 pm

Nice bike, The problem you have with the side stand is/was common to the RZ.( PARTICULARLY WHEN ONE SITS ON THE BIKE USING THE SIDESTAND ).
:smt018

Ive viewed it on at least 10 RZs two of them WERE MINE. :smt013
And most RZs had the centerstand removed which puts alot of stress on that point causing it to weaken.I live in So Cal there used to be a frame straitning/repair company called Dr.Johns they fixed everyones bent frames on their racebikes, they fixed mine up each time ,If I remember they sleeved it then welded it. Never had a problem with it again

Sporttourfjr

#15 Post by Sporttourfjr » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:44 am

Whoops maybe I`ll put my centerstand back on.?? looks so much cleaner without it, dumps a couple of pounds.
Hang in there I just went "through it" on my recent purchase, had to seal the tank, etc. Found mine on a front porch in Orlando.. looked good at night.. (I know) the owner had it started on one cylinder for me... smelled like varnish city.
After I trailered it back home and turned on the floresant garage lights I thought I had just bought a turd. Turns out the top end was fresh as the guy said but the carb jetting was all wrong... it was missing the cross pipe between the carbs.. snuck one in and an instant twin again.
The people here are very helpful and knowlegable. After 25 years there is probably more forgotten knowlege about these bikes than ever. Many of these bike are getting in poor states of tune and damaged due the dying art of two-stroke tuning.
Mine turned out sweet, worth every minute of effort. Spent 2k on the purchase to be honest about it... have another 1K in it but ended up with a sweet example and still well within market value. If I can help just ask.
Like it was said you have good platform to start with...dive in.

TWO stroke meet in Deals Gap anyone!!!!!!!!
1984 RZ350 RWB
Toomey Kit
Tapered Steering Brgs.
Tarozzi fork brace
Progressive fork springs
upgraded clutch
stainless braided hydraulic lines
Dynojet Kit
420 mains
stock idle jets
needle on second groove from the top
air scews out 2 turns