Another newbie with a new bike

Good with a camera? Post pics of your favorite 2-stroke here!

Moderator: rztom

Cold Snail

Another newbie with a new bike

#1 Post by Cold Snail » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:34 pm

Hello, my name is Paul and I looked up this forum before getting my RD for some info about my soon-to-be bike.

Anyway, today was the day it arrived, here's some pics.

Complete with blown fork seal.

A couple of period features.

And a very odd rear shock.

The bike had been under a cover for 14 years before this summer and during that time, the fuel in the carbs had turned to jelly.
They have been cleaned before I got it, but it doesn't really run below 3000 rpm, so I guess it could be the pilot jets or could it be something more sinister?

Anyway, great forum I'm going to start reading the engine section to see if there's an answer.

Cheers.
Paul.

Smoker

#2 Post by Smoker » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:26 pm

Wow! The bike looks to be in great condition - and I love the color combination - very unique! The gold anodizing looks good, too.

Welcome to the forum!

-Pete :smt006

smurph

#3 Post by smurph » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:40 pm

Welcome to the board!

The forks seals are n big issue. They all have to be replaced sooner or later.

For the carbs, your are right in thinking pilot jets. Don't ride it until you get this fixed. It's a sure way to melt down. Get some Berryman Chem Dip carb cleaner and soak them (all rubber and gaskets removed, of course) for about 45 minutes. Wash with water and blow out the orifices with compressed air.

Steve
Fuel Injected RZ350

Cold Snail

#4 Post by Cold Snail » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:00 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I'm going to have a look at the carbs tomorrow, I have a feeling that as there is hardy any fuel in the tank, it's dragging some crud down into the carbs.
I've also got to drain the 2 stoke oil, it was the stuff that was put in 14 years ago, somehow I don't trust it...
Hopefully the Haynes manual I won on ebay will arrive soon, then I can find all the necessary info setting it up.

lazerfloyd

#5 Post by lazerfloyd » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:12 am

This would be a good time to clean the petcock screen and add an in-line filter in the fuel line before it splits to the 2 carbs. Just to be safe.
'85 U.S. Model RZ350NCII
Stock barrels, no porting, 1st overbore, 125psi comp. Toomey re-issue pipes, 2-1 filter, V-Force 3 reeds, Stock VM26SS carbs, 30 pilots, Toomey garbage needle on 6th clip, 480 mains, Zeeltronic ignition - stock ignition curve.