Might Have Another 2-Stroke Soon

Good with a camera? Post pics of your favorite 2-stroke here!

Moderator: rztom

nokturnal
-----
-----

#16 Post by nokturnal » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:00 pm

jaysus! [smilie=eek.gif]

Smoker

#17 Post by Smoker » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:32 am

Okay, Ive spent twice as much time with the bike and I'll upgrade to only 70% of the parts being damaged, so it's not total crap.

I was able to ride it uo and down the block a couple of times. I'll post more soon.

Desert Panther

#18 Post by Desert Panther » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:19 am

wow man, thats pretty heavy news :smt009 I was all expecting you to be overly enthusiastic and gleeful about it. I think the bike is just gorgeous and i'd probably have pulled the trigger on it too. So dont feel bad! :smt004
1985 R/W/B RZ 350 ported motor, Toomey pipes & Y boot, 28mm TM Mikuni flatslides, Duncan Racing manifold & boost bottle, TDR reeds, Tokico 6 piston front brake calipers, Fox Twin-Clicker shock, Avon tires
1984 Y/B RZ350 DG pipes, Dyna Ignition, clip-ons

Smoker

#19 Post by Smoker » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:10 am

Well, it's not all bad.

But the workmanship on the mods is what is most disappointing. From seeing that, I can tell that the bike wasn't properly cared for.

When I heard the engine in the videos, and when I started it here for the first time, I was thinking it sounds very strong. Then last night, I woke up from a sound sleep and realized that the reason the exhaust tone is loud with the compression hitting hard is because the mufflers need to be repacked (badly). At the same moment I also knew these mufflers have NEVER been repacked. I actually got up and went out to the garage to check. Sure enough, the cans have the original rivets. I'm not sure how old the pipes are, but I'm guessing a couple of years.

The pipes were covered with grease which took about 2 hours to clean off, and there was also tape, or something, melted all over the pipe by the kickstand (I haven't been able to get it all off).

There are also rub marks all over the pipe by the kickstand, and lots of minor scratches on the pipes. I already mentioned that the finish on one of the carbon fiber mufflers was ruined from the tailpiece rubbing against it.

The rear mount for the pipes isn't attached to anything, it's just hanging out in mid-air, and at one time there was a bolt through that mount which made a HUGE gouge in the swingarm.

I'll start a thread with more info and pics, but this week I'm working long hours, so I'm too exhausted. (Exhausted :smt003 )

Yeah, not all bad - I rode it up and down the block twice yesterday, then put in in the garage - and it hasn't leaked one drop of anything. [It was leaking, but I'll post about that later.]

Desert Panther

#20 Post by Desert Panther » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:54 pm

I love hearing these updates! Smoker I think i'm more excited about the bike that you are! [smilie=rockernana.gif]

Unreal that nobody has ever repacked the silencers. What are you planning on using for that task? I am thinking of using that steel wool for mine, just to see if it makes it sound more musical or something. It's too bad about the gouge in the swingarm. I guess if you completely disassembled the bike and took the swingarm off, you could get it refinished. But it seems like a big hassle to go through for aesthetics. It's not like a perfect looking swingarm is gonna make the bike handle any better.

Then again, being that I dont know you, I also dont know how important stuff like that is to you. :smt001
1985 R/W/B RZ 350 ported motor, Toomey pipes & Y boot, 28mm TM Mikuni flatslides, Duncan Racing manifold & boost bottle, TDR reeds, Tokico 6 piston front brake calipers, Fox Twin-Clicker shock, Avon tires

Desert Panther

#21 Post by Desert Panther » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:18 pm

okay smoker, its been 2 weeks since your last journal entry into this thread. What is the latest news? :smt006

Smoker

#22 Post by Smoker » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:30 am

Desert Panther wrote:okay smoker, its been 2 weeks since your last journal entry into this thread. What is the latest news? :smt006
I'll start posting info here:

http://www.rzrd500.com/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 7837#17837

:smt006

This old RZ

#23 Post by This old RZ » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:01 pm

Smoker,did you see /read the new 475cc cylinder kit for the NS400 thats coming avail, Its in this months USA edition of Practical Sportbikes and they test it vs a "STOCK" RG500 GAMMA and it ....spanks the RG! the RG is stock we all know what a tuned RG is capable of but still the NS could use it,and hes even now working on a even better CR250 cylinder conversion..as you know pistions etc.. are almost unobtainable,this makes the bike real interersting n not that you dont have enough on your plate already, hell you might have sold the NS long ago .besides a friend who has one you were the only other besides Dirtybird. Just thought I'd post it up.