Newbie in KS

Good with a camera? Post pics of your favorite 2-stroke here!

Moderator: rztom

jinxster

Newbie in KS

#1 Post by jinxster » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:37 pm

Hi all,

Picked up an 85 r/w RZ350 N. Love it. Looking forward to learning a lot about it and bikes as well while here.
She's stock and I plan on keeping it that way--and hopefully make her pristine.

http://s5.postimg.org/euzcwbzhj/IMG_20130804_193500.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s5.postimg.org/xr9mtwqqv/IMG_20130804_193448.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Evans Ward
-----
-----

Re: Newbie in KS

#2 Post by Evans Ward » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:44 pm

Welcome! What a nice, stock appearing 85 you have there. Stock cat convertor pipes I see as well. That one yr US production color is probably rarest of the 2 yr US model production run and sharp in my opinion. Tell more about what got you into these bikes? Lots to learn from this site and it's fine members! Have fun! :smt004
84 RZ350-Toomeys,SCR milled head, stk 26 carbs,300 M, 35 P, stock regrooved needles AS 2.5 turns out,stk air box,Banshee reeds Zeel non-progr CDI,TSRL Program YPVS,alum rad,R6 shock,GV emulators w/RT springs,fork brace,Shindy steering damper.

savethe2strokes

#3 Post by savethe2strokes » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:53 pm

Looks good. There are quite a few 2 stroke guys around this area. If you need advice or anything look up Bill Wilson. Nice guy and awesome engine building from what I understand.
85 RZ350-Messed up wiring

steveloomis
-----
-----

#4 Post by steveloomis » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:19 pm

Ditto that about Bill Wilson. He lives in Lee's Summit. http://wilsonperformance.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; his web site.

He build an engine for me and other machine work. If you need cylinder boring, porting or what ever, he is the one to go to and get it done right.

Steve
'81 RD350LC hybrid w/84 RZ engine. Zeel, Old style Toomeys, Yboot and filter 420 main 22.5 pilot, Air screw 2.5 turns out, DJ needle 2nd from top, Canadian VM26 carbs.
'85 KR/RZ US. Tank is seeping causing a blister in paint.....

jinxster

#5 Post by jinxster » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:09 pm

Thx for the welcome all--and stoked to hear we have a local expert in Bill.
As far as what got me into these bikes---
I grew up in India--In college--I had a choice of buying a 4 stroke modern bike --but then I rode a 2 stroke Yam RX135--and I was hooked--it was different--and awesome--in a way only 2 strokes are--the 4 strokers had better low end torque/were more stable on the highway/had better brakes/better top speed--even better gas mileage--by every objective measure --they ruled--BUT--when it was comparing the smile they put on my face--the little RX ruled--oh and it was quick enough to get me in enough hairy situations--I'm lucky to be around in 1 piece thinking back to some spills/near misses---exacerbated by the fact that we were stupid and young and never wore helmets (coz noone did--was more the rule than the exception).
Even then--the bike I really lusted for--was the RD 350--they sold it there for a few yrs in detuned form--I think it made only ~25-30 hp on the crap gas and also since it was tuned for fuel economy--as that was what people looked for--but the sound--oh pure bliss--I think the first time I heard an RD at full chat---heaven.
Interestingly--'Yama' is the god of death in Hindu mythology--and 'Doot' means steed or mount. When Yamaha sold these in India they partnered with a local company called Rajdoot (literally means royal steed) and they were initially sold as the Rajdoot-Yamaha RD350.
In the hands of inexperienced riders--with horrible road conditions/no rules--many a squid ended up as a splotch on the pavement--and these bikes developed an unwanted reputation as killers--in fact they were called Yam-doot (or steed of death :) )
Since then--I've wanted a 350 or better Yam--imagine my grief when I learnt they banned them here after 85 (I bought my bike new in 2002 in India). But learning more about the RZ--with liquid cooling and YPVS--and IMO a very sexy looking bike--I had to have one.
I've searched long and hard for a while--coz I wanted one totally stock--and I'm happy as can be riding it :)

2 faults--already posted abt these elsewhere on the forum and appreciate the input.
The tank looks beautiful--with no dents/chips--but has a bubble ? pinhole. There is evidence of a prior rust repair with epoxy inside. I'm unsure if the bubble is from the old repair and/or there is still a leak--I'd hate to ruin the paint and do a repair unless it were necessary--any way to figure this out?

As RZResurection said-mebbe a front caliper/piston is sticking--need to check it out.

Again thx for the welcome--hope to learn a lot here--and preserve the mystique of these bikes for the future.

Cheers!

AJ

Evans Ward
-----
-----

#6 Post by Evans Ward » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:37 pm

Thanks for the India history lesson on the Yam twins as that was very interesting! You will need to remove caliper that is sticking and totally disassemble all parts to clean and inspect it properly. That would be a good time to bleed system and do any upgrades to the brakes too when system is down. I'm sure you know the tips and tricks to remove the brake caliper piston- if not ask and we can share with you. You want that entire caliper assembly clean and spotless before going back together. Probably crud in there that may be causing the piston not to fully retract. On that pinhole/ bubble, PM iron on the forum here as he knows of a product that helped his tank with a similar situation and with an exceptional paint job too. You will have to remove the paint from the suspected area though to treat the area so I'm hoping for you it is underneath where it won't be seen. What does the inside of the tank look like? Does it look like the inside was treated at one time?
84 RZ350-Toomeys,SCR milled head, stk 26 carbs,300 M, 35 P, stock regrooved needles AS 2.5 turns out,stk air box,Banshee reeds Zeel non-progr CDI,TSRL Program YPVS,alum rad,R6 shock,GV emulators w/RT springs,fork brace,Shindy steering damper.

jinxster

#7 Post by jinxster » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:02 pm

Thx EW--The inside does look like a rust repair/treatment has been done before--there is epoxy/or something similar used to line the inside on the right--with no evident rust inside. I'll get the bike looked at by Bill and Brian--they mite find some other stuff I've missed too.

BrianT
-----
-----

#8 Post by BrianT » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:13 pm

Jinx, don't group me into the group of experts. I just know where he lives! We'll get it all sorted out soon.
1984 RZ350L
Many thanks to www.WilsonPerformance.net !!!

L.B

#9 Post by L.B » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:23 am

Very nice looking example you have there!

jinxster

#10 Post by jinxster » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:14 pm

Thx lb...ya in good nick... Which is why I really hope I don't have to ruin the tank paint for a repair...

BrianT
-----
-----

#11 Post by BrianT » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:11 am

Jinx, it was great meeting you last night. That's a pretty nice bike you have. It just needs some normal maintenance for any two stroke that's been sitting for years. Too bad about the gas tank, but we'll get started looking for a replacement tank for ya. Here's a pic that I snapped.

1984 RZ350L

jinxster

#12 Post by jinxster » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:30 am

Same here Brian--was fun and appreciate all the help. I put up a thread here for the tank--and I'll scour ebay/craigs--lets see..

This old RZ

#13 Post by This old RZ » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:40 am

That looks exactly like my RZ they very day I 1st drove it off the dealership floor and down the street. Virtual Time machine :smt023

You said you are going to keep it stock, I sure hope so. Even the cat...lol Bikes like yours will command all the respect and the value in years to come. Its a fantastic example, your bike is now the 3rd pristine example of a stock condition RZ I have viewed here in the last year, Its simply amazing that there are a few of these in such original condition.
These bikes were never intended to be anything but cheap fun and ridden to within an inch of their destruction.
They have no doubt captures the hearts and souls of many whom coveted one or rode them in their youth, the draw to return there is a strong one, most cannot achieve that...BUT YOU HAVE :smt002 :smt023

Utterly beautiful original example, enjoy her.
HAPPY 30th YAMAHA YVPS 350 1983-2013. DONT OVER THINK IT , JUST BUILD IT AND BE JUST AS FAST AND RELIABLE

jinxster

#14 Post by jinxster » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:20 pm

This Old RZ: Thanks. Yes--Absolutely stock including the cats is the plan with the idea to bring everything close to perfect--now if I can salvage that tank...

BrianT
-----
-----

#15 Post by BrianT » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:00 pm

I agree. I would leave it as stock as possible and enjoy it. My bike had already been modded when I got it, so I just kept on changing things. It will be nice to be able to go to shows with you and have one stock and one modded bike.
1984 RZ350L