New guy, California

Good with a camera? Post pics of your favorite 2-stroke here!

Moderator: rztom

This old RZ

Re: New guy, California

#16 Post by This old RZ » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:46 pm

Too funny bout the air box, buy a filter for sure, anything is better than nothing. I've used the stock air box and 2-1 filters, I have had zero issues with either, each performed flawlessly. If your bike is running great, now perhaps just do a thorough clean up, sometimes the old motto " if it aint broke..don't fix it" is a good idea. But as you know a 2-stroke could make you eat those words :smt002 It would be nice to find out what the jetting set up is at. If its running good and the plugs read safe etc.. I would recommend NOT trying to re jet and worry about any slight stumbles that may, or may not be be in the powerband. If it runs good , just enjoy it its lasted 30 years so far why go down another path at this point :smt002
Also does the bike have the oil injection, if so that's usually a good thing, cleaner, safer just a better bike all the way around. failure is rare,If anything it is usually 9-10 times owner neglect when it comes to the pump, or oil / fuel contamination.
I had sprocket specialties sprockets as well , Your ideal front sprocket will be a 16 tooth, its a popular modification for the street, it really wakes up the RZ BIG TIME!, Your rear I forget, without going to the garage, but anywhere from stock to +2 up with a 16 front is a great street set up. If you plan to do any really long distance traveling, like to Oregon, Arizona etc.. then use a 17 it makes highway riding really comfortable. YES you can ride these things all day if required, there pretty comfortable. Out side of the Toomey pipes you have, the biggest increase in acceleration $ performance will be your f sprocket @ 16 teeth.

Don't knock the Yellow and Black, I've had 3 red/white KRs...I was going to finally do a yellow and black, they look great and are generally not as common as the R/W so there more rare! I'll post a cool pic of a guys heavily modded yellow and black once you look at it , you will not think twice About having a yellow version...lol
Good looking bike , Good find again :smt002

Here s the photo..SICK!! HUH!! Image
HAPPY 30th YAMAHA YVPS 350 1983-2013. DONT OVER THINK IT , JUST BUILD IT AND BE JUST AS FAST AND RELIABLE

QuarterTonWithCheese

#17 Post by QuarterTonWithCheese » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:07 am

Ed,
The side stand barely touches the spring and the spring stud with the chambers; I am investigating the issue. I also foresee many rides like that in my future, can't wait to get out there.

xkabooomx,
I kind of had an inkling that was the case. Thanks.

silverstrom,
Yeah, after seeing how the lid comes off it's a wonder how it became a good idea to chop it like that... I'll stay alert for more surprises, I got into this knowing shit like this would probably happen :smt031 .

Aaron,
Thanks for the welcome. There're rebuilds in the store for all of us right? I really won't trust the bike completely until I do it myself, anyways.

John,
I bought a new battery today, actually. I grew up in a house over on rotella street next to potrero. I did get the manual; it is an incredibly well loved version, tape bound with loose pages. Thanks for the offer though, i'm sure now I'll see you around somewhere.

This old RZ,
I like your advice, and funny I was raised with those words "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".....and duct tape... I will get a filter and go from there. The bike runs very strong, in my opinion; it makes my gs feel like a cow on roller skates. The carbs I will get to as I make my way deeper into the thick of it.
It does have the oil injection, and I am very glad to have it. As for the sprockets, I will count the teeth.
I figured the RZ could make a competent traveller, even though some may argue. I would like to ride it to San Francisco once it is sorted.
Haha, well, I only said I WAS looking for a R/W. I wouldn't change a thing now. And thanks for the inspiration, that bike is glorious.

-Jacob
1985 Yamaha RZ350

rbenz

#18 Post by rbenz » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:13 pm

Nice RZ you got there. Been riding mine daily when I got it and as you already know, it is hella fun! Enjoy the journey.
1985 RZ350N

QuarterTonWithCheese

#19 Post by QuarterTonWithCheese » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:33 am

rbenz,
Thanks for the compliment, it sure is a blast. I love that seat you have on yours, any more info on it?

Okay,
So I was out riding today and I heard a faint metal rattling. I thought that it was the kickstart retaining hardware chattering around. I was cruising at about 30 and I look down to see this piece escaping right by the kicker! I reached down and sort of just grabbed it before it fell off.
Can you guys tell me where it came from? I pulled over to inspect, but couldn't really figure what happened... Good old vibrations, shaking stuff loose.

Thanks,
Jacob
1985 Yamaha RZ350

RuZty
-----
-----

#20 Post by RuZty » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:05 am

Never seen one before, must be part of the US only heat shielding for the cats.

Evans Ward
-----
-----

#21 Post by Evans Ward » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:01 am

It goes at the top of US banked VM26SS Mikuni carbs. You'll see 2 screw holes on each carb (forward facing part) where the mount will attach. Use some blue or red locktite next time to secure that brace/ bracket. Check and make sure that you didn't lose that small spring now located in center with linkage for synching that the mount has detached! Small spring is very hard to find! You will probably need to pull your gas tank off to get to remounting the bracket. There is also an additional lower/ smaller bracket that you will see at lower part of carb assembly.

With that cut up air box top and this bracket falling off, I'd recommend you go over your bike very well before the next incident based on the PO's negligence. :smt014 :smt017 I wouldn't be able to rest (or go WOT) until I pulled those carbs and checked the size of the jets in there. If the mains are stock or smallish, you could do big $ damage to your engine if he cut corners there too. I'd look for another air box lid that was un-molested to go on there.
84 RZ350-Toomeys,SCR milled head, stk 26 carbs,300 M, 35 P, stock regrooved needles AS 2.5 turns out,stk air box,Banshee reeds Zeel non-progr CDI,TSRL Program YPVS,alum rad,R6 shock,GV emulators w/RT springs,fork brace,Shindy steering damper.

This old RZ

#22 Post by This old RZ » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:43 am

Yea its for the carbs, good advice from the previous posting..It would probably be a good idea to do a thorough look see and go top to bottom, tq everything, lube etc.. check it all out. It is a old bike, things are going to vibrate loose but being a 2 stroke its going to be a lot worse than a old 4 stroke and if things get out of whack to much, unlike a 4 stroke you could ride it for months, even years..a 2 stroke will grenade itself, pull the pin die :smt005
Better to be safe as a engine rebuild can get $$$. When running tuned/correctly 2 strokes there trouble free machines, When not there frustrating and unreliable as anything you will ever ride :smt005 :smt005

As far as "engine" mechanical priorities the things to make sure are functioning and reliable are CARBS! ,CARBS!! & CARBS!!! Oil injection, and the seals.

Almost exclusively when these things GO BANG! is due to age fatigue from the above but generally its people messing with the jetting just make sure your in a safe zone..and DONT experiment with jetting :smt018 , as its 30 years old and been running good, so far at this point have a pro check it out in that dept for the time being then if needed it could be fine tuned at a later date . If its even needed at all :smt002

There used to be a pretty good lil performance shop in Van Nuys , the guy did 2 stroke and tuning as well as 4 strokes..the shop was called AIP and the guys name was Clint. They did several really nice 2 stroke builds when I frequented their shop and he had a dyno. It would make checking out the carbs a lot easier. From what I remember he used to race a RZ years ago

Locate a factory manual, I think there might even be one listed here in the links section. And for basic questions your in the right forum for these old bikes ask anything you need there are a lot of helpful individuals here. Good luck again and hopefully you don't have to invest too much to ensure a fun riding bike, but a little investment will GO A LONG WAY! toward that goal :smt023
HAPPY 30th YAMAHA YVPS 350 1983-2013. DONT OVER THINK IT , JUST BUILD IT AND BE JUST AS FAST AND RELIABLE

QuarterTonWithCheese

#23 Post by QuarterTonWithCheese » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:02 pm

Thanks for all the tips. I'm going to opt out of riding to work tomorrow and I'll tear down the carbs this weekend and post an update on what I find regarding the jetting and anything else out of place. I do have the factory manual and have been reading through it religiously. I love this forum, you guys rock.

Best,
Jacob
1985 Yamaha RZ350

no1clyde

#24 Post by no1clyde » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:31 pm

Jacob I was looking through Craigslist today and saw your bike listed.

Hang in there and fix the little problems and enjoy it.

I have been pretty lucky with mine and have not found any odd things at all.

Ed
1985 Rz 350 with Toomeys,Y intake and KN, and DynoJet jetting.

QuarterTonWithCheese

#25 Post by QuarterTonWithCheese » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:50 am

Ed,
Yeah the PO still hasn't removed the ad. I'm surprised if he's not getting calls for it still.

Don't worry, I have the resolution to get through. You're a lucky one, knock on wood :smt003
1985 Yamaha RZ350