Injector Oil Migration

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

Hooligan

Injector Oil Migration

#1 Post by Hooligan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:21 am

Discovered an interesting weakness in the injector system today. Apparently it is a mistake to store the bike for several months with a full injector oil tank. Near as I can figure, oil has been migrating under gravity through the oil pump and into the carbs and engine.

Couldn't get the motor to start after tons of kicking it over. Plugs constantly wet with fuel everytime I pulled the but plugs sparking ok.

Finally got the motor to turn over and it ran on one cyclinder for a bit before firing up properly. Craploads of smoke out the exhaust and ran like crap for a while.

I ran the carbs dry and then pulled the oil tank feed line from the pump. Just for storage I have jammed the open end under the tank top vent to prevent oil drainage. The next warm day I will try again and see if the engine clears out and runs without excess smoke.
'82 RD350LC in '81 colours, OEM pipes, UNI filters
'85 FZ750

silverstrom

Re: Injector Oil Migration

#2 Post by silverstrom » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:47 am

The check valves on your oil pump are likely partially plugged and it's causing them to hang up in the open position. They are spring loaded closed, but crud builds up in the spring and this prevents them from working as intended. To clean the check valves you need to remove the fittings. Just pull the oil lines off and twist and pull the fittings. They should come right out. Pay attention to the positioning so you can get it right when you install them. And be careful parts don't fly out!

Hooligan

#3 Post by Hooligan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:56 am

silverstrom wrote: And be careful parts don't fly out!
Understatement of the year I'd say. :)

I'll have a look at my spare oil pump so I know what to expect before I screw with the one on the bike.
'85 FZ750

Smoker

#4 Post by Smoker » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:20 am

Oh, shit!!!

I think I've been having this problem.

The bike runs great, then I park it and the next morning there's a HUGE puddle of oil that overflowed from the crankcase breather tube.

L.B

#5 Post by L.B » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:18 am

As John mentioned,just mark the angle they sit at before pulling the buggers out,twisting motion!Should find this,

kpke
-----
-----

#6 Post by kpke » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:07 am

Smoker wrote:Oh, shit!!!

I think I've been having this problem.

The bike runs great, then I park it and the next morning there's a HUGE puddle of oil that overflowed from the crankcase breather tube.
Smoker, I had that same problem. It could be this

http://www.rzrd500.com/phpBB3/viewtopic ... low#p45296

If it is the oil pump seal, fix it soon as your clutch plates will get contaminated and start slipping. Check your trans oil and it will be changing color to the same color as whatever injection oil you are using.

If you need pics from that thread (they disappeared) I can repost them.

xkabooomx

#7 Post by xkabooomx » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:01 pm

L.B wrote:As John mentioned,just mark the angle they sit at before pulling the buggers out,twisting motion!Should find this,

I had the same problem. I used a heat gun to heat up the pump so the nipples twisted out easy. Parts will fly if not careful....
85 KR RZ350 ported W/Toomey pipes VM30's Air screw one 1/2 turn out/Main jet 240/Needle 2nd clip from bottom/6F5 jet Needle/159-P6 Needle Jet/40 pilot jet/2.5 Throttle Valve/2.0 Air jet

Smoker

#8 Post by Smoker » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:31 pm

kpke wrote:
Smoker wrote:

If it is the oil pump seal, fix it soon as your clutch plates will get contaminated and start slipping. Check your trans oil and it will be changing color to the same color as whatever injection oil you are using.

That would be great if you could repost the pics, and thanks for the info.

Looks like the oil pump has to come off either way, so I may as well clean the check valves and replace the seal and gasket at the same time. Guess the bike will be down until the parts come in.

kpke
-----
-----

#9 Post by kpke » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:26 pm

Smoker wrote:
kpke wrote:
Smoker wrote:

That would be great if you could repost the pics, and thanks for the info.

Looks like the oil pump has to come off either way, so I may as well clean the check valves and replace the seal and gasket at the same time. Guess the bike will be down until the parts come in.

This pic is what it looked like when I removed the cover. The seal was completely off

These pics were when I asked on the forum which way does the seal go (I don't remember the answer)

Replacing the oil pump seal fixed my bike. No more oil mixing in to the trans and and overfilling it.

Sorry for the threadjack Hooligan. Just trying to help out brother Smoker!

Hooligan

#10 Post by Hooligan » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:29 pm

NP all this info is good to know.
'85 FZ750

steveloomis
-----
-----

#11 Post by steveloomis » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:32 pm

I did not see the answer to the question as to which side the spring should be on. In my opinion the spring is usually on the side where you want to keep the oil in. Oil Pump, spring OUT, where the oil is under higher pressure than crankcase, kick starter, Spring INSIDE, where the oil is.

Looking for confirmation or not....
'81 RD350LC hybrid w/84 RZ engine. Zeel, Old style Toomeys, Yboot and filter 420 main 22.5 pilot, Air screw 2.5 turns out, DJ needle 2nd from top, Canadian VM26 carbs.
'85 KR/RZ US. Tank is seeping causing a blister in paint.....

IIcycle

#12 Post by IIcycle » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:07 pm

Just replaced mine, had injection oil in the tranny. You got it right, you want the oil seal numbers on the side you want to keep dry. :smt023

aaronmvrider
-----
-----

#13 Post by aaronmvrider » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:00 pm

good info fellas.... look at the fluff and build up in that pump... makes you want to go and check it now...
1 x 4mm stroker rz 375cc 1983
1 x 7mm stroker rz 443cc 1984 (under construction)
1 x rz 500
1 x mv agusta 1000

Hooligan

#14 Post by Hooligan » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:13 am

I rode the bike the other day and put about 40 kms on it. By the end the excess oil seems to have burned off and the motor was running good.
'85 FZ750

Smoker

#15 Post by Smoker » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:16 am

Thanks, kpke and every one for the info.

Waiting for parts to arrive.