micron pipes?

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

Questo vecchio rz

Re: micron pipes?

#16 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:45 pm

tacky1 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:18 am These have to be the ugliest pipes ever fitted to a 2-stroke!!!!!
"To each their own " they say... lol
I always liked those high mounts, There were a couple brands from Japan I liked as well.
I DID NOT like the way the owner added his hangars... such a well built bike then utilized hardware store straps , go figure???
But the pipes I did like...and remember 20 years ago ..high mount pipes were all the rage.
Hell, I'm even searching for a high mount Yoshimura SRAD race pipe.

Back to the original topic, If you opt for Toomeys you will be happy, there just great pipes for our bikes. I've used around 7 different pipes on RZs and they are the best performance pipes I ever bolted on, and they sound WAY more exiting ..I have Lomas for my current RZ now, due to the stainless..but If you want stainless your options are not as great, but there's likley 4-5 sources if your diligent. I could now easily go back to Toomeys, no problem, just I already have had these Lomas pipes for many years now.
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

evan_calgary

#17 Post by evan_calgary » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:21 pm

Interesting. I have never seen single sided microns before. The Microns I have seen appear to be more vintage pipes that have the word Micron stamped (I believe from the inside) on the belly of the chamber. The silencers are not removable. These must have been built much latter than the Microns I have seen. The build process looks much different as well. The dual sided microns had stamped half sections welded at the seam rather than cones welded in line as those pipes appear to have from the pics. If the silencers are removable would be easy to switch them out as well. Not something I have seen so just adding what I know about the Microns through the pairs I have owned!

evan_calgary

#18 Post by evan_calgary » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:23 pm

There is another post out there where I had asked about pipes a couple years back. The Toomeys may be slightly better than the Microns but it is a very marginal difference. This is not like going from stock pipes to aftermarket pipes where you will find a large difference. Up to you if hundreds of dollars is worth the very marginal difference.

nokturnal
-----
-----

#19 Post by nokturnal » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:56 pm

Several different kinds of microns... small can (early, welded on), large can (bolt on), the stamped ones that have a seam down the middle, GP style...

None of them make much more power than a stock (non-US) RZ, They rev higher though... and those small can jobbies crackle like an old angry dirtbike.
:smt017

Questo vecchio rz

#20 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:30 pm

I agree you will not see a 13 horsepower Advantage as you do going from restricted pipes to aftermarket. I've never had a chance to ride a Micron equipped RZ.
From my experience with all the pipes I have used, the best performers were Spec 2, Toomey and Toomey replicas, the advantage from the Toomey pipes was approx 2-4 bike lengths from 1/8 to 1/4 mile range in acceleration, vs my other pipes.
Not huge, but fairly significant for just a pipe swap.. and the ever so important factor of being 1st amongst your friends...lol
Combined with a 16 tooth front sprocket it makes for a whole lot of fun!
The only reason I'm not utilizing Toomeys is the craftsmanship of the stainless Lomas and the xtreame lightweight they offer.
Toomey has some great additions to their new redesign, better midrange , new upswept design (I prefer the OG), they also include O ringed spigots!! No more oilt mess! combined with their jet kit..it kicks ass. The 26 mm carbs are a match on a (street RZ) for any stock cylinder RZ with any sized carb, the 26mm carbs flat out rip on the street!
Good luck whatever you do!
Last edited by Questo vecchio rz on Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

evan_calgary

#21 Post by evan_calgary » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:27 pm

Some good points by QV above. Was not aware of all the various designs of Microns!

AJF

#22 Post by AJF » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:05 pm

Great info. The P.O. said that the carbs had a jet kit and new reeds (but he also said spec II's), so ill open them up and get the jet sizes and report back. In his defense, I think he owned it for a year or so and only maintained it, no mods. The carbs are 26mm mikunis. I do like the idea of Toomey pipes and carbs.

Like I said, it has a pretty bad stumble at around 4K rpm- but I assumed with the non stock pipes and no airbox it was to be expected. The jetting feels pretty clean over all throttle openings outside of the stumble.

Thanks again,
Anthony

brrrappp

#23 Post by brrrappp » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:13 pm

I'll give another vote for the Toomey pipes.

my 2 cents on USA model RZ's:
The Toomey pipe kit was the most popular and considered the go-to pipe when the bike was new. That might add to the value consideration if you are looking for a faithful "period" restoration. If you are looking for more style points, those stainless multi-cone pipes sure look cool.

I have three bikes. 1 with spec II one with Factory Pipes one with Toomey's original late 80's design.
All three have the Y-pipe intake, Dyno-jet or Toomey perfect jet kit and single filter.
Of these 3 pipes, the Toomey has the best sound, the most professional look/finish and the most usable power. The Spec II will rev higher- it seems to rev willingly right past redline without a big drop-off. It's not really pulling harder up there but it's not falling off a cliff. So I have to be more careful when riding by feel. The Factory Pipe was more Quiet and feels a bit slower.

For myself, the 4000-6000 stumble and steady throttle mid-range surging of the stock bike was cured completely by the jetting and pipe additions.

bjacobsen

#24 Post by bjacobsen » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:15 pm

I will also give a thumbs up to the Toomey's, despite a few issues I had with them. My bike came with the DG pipes which felt pretty soft to me, Ran a set of HVC pipes for about a year and was very happy with them as well, really feel the HVC pipes were much better constructed than my new Toomey's. That being said where the DG pipes felt kind of soft the HVC pipes had great midrange pull but signed off fairly abruptly where the Toomey pipes don't pull quite as well in the 5-6.5k range (small difference) the Toomey's definitely pull harder from 7k to redline where they sign off as well but not as abruptly as the HVC's. However, the wait time for Toomey was 7 months and I did have to re-weld a small area due to several pin holes in the factory weld and the Toomey pipes paint just flat stinks as they were not powder coated (had mine re-done in hi-temp satin black PC). Ran all three sets with a gutted stock airbox with uni filter and when I finally put the y-pipe intake (and requisite jetting change) on after i'd run the Toomey's for a while the only real difference I had noticed was it seemed to rev slightly quicker. Engine is stock except for a Wicked head.

AJF

#25 Post by AJF » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:26 am

The bike has individual uni filters with a boost bottle crossover between the carbs. Is the Y pipe supposed to improve the intake flow more than the individual filters? My previous 2 stroke tuning experience is on the older air cooled, piston ported engines. The water cooled, reed valve, YPVS is a new learning experience for me.

brrrappp

#26 Post by brrrappp » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:34 am

The Y-Pipe is more about tuning intake resonance than it is about volume of airflow flow.

AJF

#27 Post by AJF » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:54 am

Understood. Is there a part # for the y pipe to use?

brrrappp

#28 Post by brrrappp » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:02 pm

Toomey sells the Y-pipe and air filter combo for about $100

https://toomey.com/catalog?olsPage=prod ... nd-banshee

Discussed previously here:
http://www.rzrd500.com/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 03#p157103