OEM Bearing List

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

Smoker

OEM Bearing List

#1 Post by Smoker » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:06 pm

Looking for a list of the OEM engine bearing manufacturer and part numbers. Sizes/specs would help, too.

Not looking for Yamaha part numbers.

If anyone has a list, please post or PM me. You can also send it by email. :smt006

Pretty sure Wobbly made a list of (uprated) bearings for the RZ350 engine, but I can't find it.

Would be good to know the rating of the OEM bearings, and what replacements are available, besides factory Yamaha.

pushstartrearset
-----
-----

Re: OEM Bearing List

#2 Post by pushstartrearset » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:52 am

1984 RZ350L (U.S.) Old Toomeys, oil injected!, Y-boot K&N. loctite throttle cable holder on left carb!! , 410 mains, Dynojet needles 2.0 clip, #20 pilot @ 1.5 turn a.s., 240/512 p.v.

EE

#3 Post by EE » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:55 pm

And this one:
http://www.rzrd500.com/phpBB3/viewtopic ... rs#p123753
The text reads:
"I purchased uprated Gearbox Bearings package from Tss
in September 2012, here are what I got:
Numbers refers to Haynes P 47 Fig 1.3
3 Output shaft left-hand 6305NR*C3 NSK
24 Needle roller bearing NB 203315 NRB
27 Input shaft right-hand bearing 3205 C3 NSK
41 Needle roller bearing NB 203015 NRB INDIA
Clutch arm 6300-2RSH/C3
The two NSK arrived in NSK boxes, the others just in a plastic bag.
As I have not used them yet, I take no responsibility."
http://www.erlenbachracing.co" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Smoker

#4 Post by Smoker » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:05 am

Posting good info from the links.

From TDR_50 (2013)
Ceramic or silicon carbide & silicon nitride bearings are my choice for all my rotating mass components. I have used them in crankshafts before but the issue is that the oil is the reduction factor so I only use them on wheels and non oil lubricated areas.
As far as picking a bearing to go with I would suggest a Nachi or NTN brand as they are the top of the line in Japanese bearings. 7 ball is sufficiant but 10 ball will offer a longer lifespan.

From motoholic71 (2013):
30571-updated RD\RZ stator side and centres with groove and lock pin on EDGE of bearing also for late TZ250(groove not necessary for RD\RZ)
30549-drive side for all RD\RZ with groove and lock nipple in CENTER of bearing

Smoker

#5 Post by Smoker » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:40 pm

Been searching, reading, and learning about bearings.

All the serious racers I've talked to are 100% behind ceramic hybrid bearings.

Most of the custom street builders I've talked to believe ceramic hybrid bearings are too expensive. The few I've found that use them, have all experienced previous bearing failure with OEM bearings - which can cost much more than the increased price of the ceramics.

There's also the question about why bearings fail. Sometimes, it's not the bearing itself that fails. If it fails due to a tiny piece of metal or dirt getting into the bearing, ceramics will fail, too.

Not yet sure of the average life expectancy of OEM bearings. The claims are that ceramic bearings last much longer, start out much smoother, and stay much smoother.

My experience is that most streetbike riders don't rebuild the engine until something breaks. Having bearings that shouldn't fail on their own, and will outlast other parts, could help justify the cost.

Looking into quality issues with uprated bearings and their manufacturers. Also looking at cost.
Working on my list of OEM RZ350 engine bearings, and replacements.

Smoker

#6 Post by Smoker » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:54 am

I thought using something like this is okay, but maybe not.

Sounds like all bearings should be pressed, to avoid "shock" and true brinelling.

"Whether it is a roller or ball bearing, they must not be drifted in with any hammering action, nor should they be removed with a hammer. The fact is that over 80% of all anti-friction bearings (the proper name for that class of bearing) fail prematurely due to incorrect installation.

The best approach is to replace or use a new bearing in the new cover, or at any time when a hammer is used for removal. Any hammering action will cause damage to the inner and outer races of the bearing, known as "brinelling".

True brinelling is caused by shock or excessive loads due to improper mounting, dropping of machinery during handling, excessive static or impact loads during the operating cycle. The signs of this type of brinelling are regularly-spaced indentations in the bearing raceway and rolling elements, and an increase in vibration."

kjellz

Re: OEM Bearing List - Full yam - to- industry part nr/spec

#7 Post by kjellz » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:15 am

Reading this I could't help thinking;
- How about creating an online resource that looks up yam part nr and matches it to user contributed industrial standard products, all in an effort to keep the old dogs running in the future and at affordable prices.
This could cover bearings, o-rings, seals, bolts/nut etc and it could have a comment field where contributors can post their experiences and fitment tips. This may have been discussed before on here, or perhaps someone knows of any such similar databases for other bikes that is already set up?
----------------------------------
RD350 YPVS 1990
F2 converted to N2 Red/white 1986 - Figaroli pipes

Smoker

#8 Post by Smoker » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:59 pm

Yes, kjellz- it's a great idea.

Might take some effort.

Those who know, don't need the list. :smt003