Clutch Basket

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

rdstars

Clutch Basket

#1 Post by rdstars » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:03 am

Been a while since I have been on the forum but I still have my Hybrid .

Had a few issues with my clutch since I left it standing, it did stick so managed to get the plates disengaged rocking back and fore. Seem to be fine for a while but started slipping. Added 3 TZ springs and changed the oil 15w40 Mineral as I always use. Still a slight slip so ordered some new CK2279 plates.

Inspection, plates low miles look good, steels again not warped ( will scuff these up ) basket flat still as I flattened any groves when built. ( Being a numpty I just broke a fin on the basket trying to lock it up without a tool but have a spare basket )

Now I know you can mod the clutch to accept 8 plates but are any of the aftermarket baskets like the Mitaka able to accept an extra plate, anyone use a Mitaka basket ( whats your views on them )

My plan at the moment is to get it back together, new plates and scuff up the steels, fresh oil, tempted to put another 3 TZ springs as I don't find 3 heavy. BUT could be tempted to go 8 plates.

Just an open discussion and advice.

brrrappp

Re: Clutch Basket

#2 Post by brrrappp » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:53 pm

Is the clutch pull too hard with all TZ springs VS just 3?

Questo vecchio rz

#3 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:47 pm

Kinda a no brainier, be it TZ or other manufacturer heavy springs, add the full stack.
I personally don't like staggered springs....that's just me.
Especially if you say have little or no trouble with your current setup.
There's likley no real need for 8 plates,unless you have a high power big bore cylinder package, many 1000s of high performance RZs got by just fine with OEM. If it still slips after your new plates and springs...sumpthins wrong.
Might be time to evaluate the rest of the clutch package
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

sedsberg

#4 Post by sedsberg » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:08 am

You did use oil specific for bikes (wet clutch)? Regular car oil often contains PTFE which can ruin your clutch plates.
1990 RD350 F2 1WT

rdstars

#5 Post by rdstars » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:00 pm

Thanks,

Oil is fine, after stripping I found a broken tooth in my Primary so waiting for one to come. Think I messed it up leaving it standing for a long time and clutch locked on, I have got all the steels scuffed up, new frictions and just waiting to put it back together now.

silverstrom

#6 Post by silverstrom » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:00 am

Another option is to use FZ600 friction plates and springs. The FZ plates have 50% more surface area and provide plenty of bite. FZ springs are slightly longer for more pressure. Install as you would the standard RZ friction plates, but leave the rubber dampers out. I have done this several times with modified engines and have been quite happy with the results. Great hook up with no slippage.

Make sure the fingers on the basket have no grooves worn into them. It is a common problem and will result in sticking. You can use a Dremel to make the surface smooth and all will be fine.

sedsberg

#7 Post by sedsberg » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:33 am

silverstrom wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:00 am Another option is to use FZ600 friction plates and springs. The FZ plates have 50% more surface area and provide plenty of bite. FZ springs are slightly longer for more pressure. Install as you would the standard RZ friction plates, but leave the rubber dampers out. I have done this several times with modified engines and have been quite happy with the results. Great hook up with no slippage.
Are these the same you can buy as "heavy duty kit" from Yambits?

https://yambits.co.uk/rd350-ypvs-full-c ... 0rpu7apl42
1990 RD350 F2 1WT

RZtuner

#8 Post by RZtuner » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:29 pm

The Yambits kit won't do much for you as it retains the elliptical OEM style steel plates so you sacrifice surface area.

The big problem with the stock RZ clutch is it lacks surface area. The O-rings take up valuable friction area from the OEM fiber friction plates, and the cutouts on the steels do the same. Just fitting full width FZ clutch friction plates and using the old steels doesn't really make much of an improvement, you need to replace the steels with full width steel plates to take full advantage of the larger surface area offered by the FZ6 friction plates.

RECIPE FOR A BULLETPROOF CLUTCH
Ditch the stock plates, the steels and the O rings.
Fit:
Yamaha FZ6 full width friction plates
Barnett full width steels for a Banshee 401-90=047015
Set of new Stock OEM RZ350 springs
Matoon Machine billet clutch basket (really nice piece of kit with improved rubber cushions)
Torco MTF transmission oil for 2 strokes. (this stuff is designed for abuse on MX race bikes)

I use this clutch set-up on my land speed bikes and it's been bulletproof, zero slippage and rides like a stock clutch. You don't need arms like a gorilla to ride it. No slip, no chatter. Fit it and forget it!

The worst thing you can do to a clutch is fit stronger springs that make the bike a total pain to ride....... and why do you need them? The stock RZ springs are the same part number as fitted to every TZ race bike from the old 78 horsepower TZ350's right up to the last TZ's made in the early 2000's and they made 85+ horse! i don't think there are many street RZ's running around that make that kind of power.......Additionally, I've seen clutch outer pressure plates fail when owners fit stiffer springs that have punched the bottom out of the spring cups. The OEM pressure plate is quite thin in this area. Always check yours for cracks.
350 Prod. SCTA Bonneville World Landspeed record holder
500 Prod. SCTA Bonneville World record holder
350 Prod. AMA Bonneville National record holder
350 P-MG AMA Bonneville National record holder
AMA No.1plate holder x2
Pioneer- Motorsport Hall of Fame