Start-up Without Riding

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

Smoker

Start-up Without Riding

#1 Post by Smoker » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:39 pm

Some interesting info I found. Can't vouch for it's accuracy.

Mostly for bikes with mild steel pipes.

"A few years back, I read an article wherein the author stated he kept his antique motorcycle collection “fresh” by starting each one for 10 minutes every month. DO NOT do this! Chances are that you’ve got Mild Steel pipes/exhaust on your Classic. Here’s why –

I encourage you to start/run/ride your machine yes, but please make absolutely sure that you have at least 30 minutes (more is better) to ride and bring the machine up to temperature so that combustion leaves no condensation (that wet fog/smoke that comes out after start-up) inside your pipes. My articles on Ethanol last week explained the creation Acidic Acid by way of the alcohol and water (condensation and atmospheric), but also remember that Gasoline contains Sulfur. Sulfur and water = Sulfuric Acid. This is NOT what you want hanging around inside your mild steel pipes. I’ve spent more on classic/period exhaust system purchases and restorations that all of the paint, all of the engine builds – hands down. The images I have included are examples of years of searching, begging, and restoring, and easily $20,000 + in cost from the more difficult bikes I’ve restored. The factories don’t make these anymore – The last thing I’m going to do is give them a “10 minute shot of Acid”.

There is one more very good reason to ride longer – the combustion gasses (Sulfur/Acidic Acid, Water) and all get blown by the rings more during start-up since the process is not it’s most efficient without the heat. This nasty/corrosive mixture finds it’s way to your engine oil and can/will etch and eat away at your crankshaft and transmission internals if left highly Acidic. Longer rides will evaporate the Water and Sulfuric Acid thus lessening the elements contributing to the corrosive crankcase mixture."

JonW

Re: Start-up Without Riding

#2 Post by JonW » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:40 pm

On a 4T maybe... There would be enough oil in our unburnt mixture that I doubt this would be a problem, and maybe the acid would eat the soot in the pipes for us...
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

kobra

#3 Post by kobra » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:35 pm

I've always avoided starting an engine for short periods. Years ago I had an extremely short commute and my car would not get up to operating temp. I went to check the oil and it was full of a white milky substance from the condensation!

Bare

#4 Post by Bare » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:19 pm

Not heard of that onna 2 stroke. Do know that Car ex systems can suffer from nitric acid resulting from the Catalytic .. readily seen as liquids spitting out the tailpipe...
before the ex system has heated enough to boil the stuff as it's produced.
Few 2 strokes feature Catalyitics tho.

brrrappp

#5 Post by brrrappp » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:23 am

I think the O/P is right about not starting and running an engine for short bursts as a storage technique. Especially for 4-strokes. Either go ride or leave it alone.....provided you did a real storage setup.
Spraying fogging oil down the intake of a running 2-stroke is a sure way to get good coverage of all the internal engine components. I think you'll find it coats the inside of the pipes if you are doing it right.
Seems like everyone here has his carbs and engine apart all winter, so none of this applies.....right?

In general, I'm am more concerned about condensation in my fuel tank than inside the pipes.

One little tip -- if you store your bike in a shed or a garage vs in your living room....put some duct tape over your intake inlet and plug off your exhaust pipe exit.
You won't believe the number of MICE I've seen in air boxes and tail pipes!
We used mothballs under the hood on snowmobiles to keep the mice out. Those little critters get into everything. They love paper air cleaners and foam trim.