Oil pump flow

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

hotshoe93

Oil pump flow

#1 Post by hotshoe93 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:58 am

Question, starting a bike that has not been started in 10 years. Was kicked over occasionally and oil dropped in cyl. I was going to start it up on premix for safety, but, how can I tell if the pump is working ok? Can I just pull the oil lines off the carb and see injection oil come out? Also the bike has always ran on yamalube R, I thought this was a premix oil but a lot of sites says you can use this but runs a tad richer. Original owner swears by the r says it runs good and does not smoke that much?.
84 RZ350 Toomey
2003 FZ1 Yellow/Black
BULTACO ASTRO
Champion framed Kawasaki F81m
BULTACO SHERP-S Brakeless Dirt tracker
ZUK A-100 w/ FACTORY HOP UP
:smt026

Arrow

Re: Oil pump flow

#2 Post by Arrow » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:05 am

Yes, just pull the lines off at the carb end. Be careful not to damage the pipes. Hold the pulley right down towards the main body of the pump while the engine is idling and the oil should pulse out. Let go of the pulley and there should be a much smaller pulse. If there is no pulse at all with the pulley released then the pump needs a reshim. I am not familiar with the particular oil that you mention.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Whymee

#3 Post by Whymee » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:33 am

I also used Yamaha R (now 2R) in my RZ. I also use 2R premix in all my dirt bikes, regardless of make.

Some time ago there was a thread concerning this very subject. The consensus was that 2R was to thick for the pump to flow correctly.
Yamaha does make a injection oil, 2S. I switched over to 2S and have not had any problems before, during or after. Currently I am rebuilding multiple RZ's and will be running 2S.
2.5 RZ350's
2018 Grom
2017 KTM 390
2017 FZ-10
1973 RT3
1974 TY250
plus many others

RuZty
-----
-----

#4 Post by RuZty » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:04 pm

If it hasn't started in a decade the crank seals are of greater concern than the oil pump. Idling in the garage will be okay, but I wouldn't ride it far without at least confirming their integrity. Personally I would replace them for anything beyond a trip around the block, then you can confirm the condition of the crank, cylinders and power valves while you are at it. The pumps are easy to overhaul if you take the time to understand them, or send it to Arrow (above) as many do, his reputation is impeccable.

Semi Oldguy

#5 Post by Semi Oldguy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:54 pm

You might want to pull the airbox boots and be ready to slap something over the carb intakes in case it runs away from a bad air leak. Not nice when that happens!
The addiction:

85 RZ350 Bought it new!
76 GT750 Project
73 H2 Project
75 GT185 Project
03 MG V11 LeMans
90 CB1 It runs
12 650GS Runner
87 K75C Should run forever
02 1150GS Used to work

brrrappp

#6 Post by brrrappp » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:36 pm

excerpt from: http://www.klemmvintage.com/oils.htm

About Oil Injection - A majority of vintage street and recreational based 2strokes were manufactured with an oil injection system that eliminated the need for pre-mixing fuel. Oils made for oil injection use have a considerably thinner viscosity than oils intended for premix. It is unwise to use a premix type oil in an injector because a premix type oil can have difficulty passing through the small orifices in many oil-injection systems. On the same tack, it is a very bad idea to use an "oil-injection" oil in a premix application because the reduced viscosity will not offer the lubrication needed in a pre-mix situation

You can buy Gallons of Yamalube injection oil on Amazon
This is the 2s dirt/street/snowmobile
https://www.amazon.com/Yamalube-2S-Perf ... B008N3JHZU

This link is the 2w Waverunner oil
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008N ... UTF8&psc=1

They don't recommend the 2m outboard oil for "land based" vehicle use.
and
2R 2-stroke racing oil is designed for pre-mixing.

kobra

#7 Post by kobra » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:08 am

I contacted Maxima about this a while back and received this response:

The only difference between an injector oil and a premix only oil is the viscosity. Injector oils are much lower in viscosity.
Injector oils can be premixed as well. You would just never want to put a premix only oil into your injector oil reservoir as this could potentially lead oil starvation issues.
I would recommend to premix with the Super M Injector for break-in and then switch to the Formula K2 Injector once the break-in process is completed.