Rebuild RZ350 - Go full stock or upgrade?

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

kobra

Re: Rebuild RZ350 - Go full stock or upgrade?

#31 Post by kobra » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:41 pm

I can't seem to find any Factory pipes. I've seen them in photos though, and they look great.

I think if the performance is there or even close, I will lean toward running the DG pipes if buying new. I'm sure Toomey's have better resale but if I could reduce the cost of this project by 15% that's big!

If anyone else has feedback on the DG's I'm all ears.

silverstrom

#32 Post by silverstrom » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:59 pm

My experience with DG pipes is limited to 1986-90 RZ350s. That showed the DG pipes are no better than stock and jet exactly the same. The only benefit was reduced weight. I wouldn't expect any perceivable power increase with DG pipes, but you will lose a lot of weight if you have boat anchor stock pipes, especially with the CA cats. If you are building a stock motor and have a small budget DG is an affordable option, but if you are building a modified motor, even a mild one with porting, reeds, etc, you really should consider something better than DG. Lomas is a good option and more affordable, but not the best for power. If you have more money to spend and want the most from your pipes Jolly Moto is high on the list. Another option is to talk to Kenny at TSA.

If you have a limited budget you are effectively limiting your potential. You may save 15% but you'll give up performance. You get what you pay for.

kobra

#33 Post by kobra » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:00 pm

silverstrom wrote:My experience with DG pipes is limited to 1986-90 RZ350s. That showed the DG pipes are no better than stock and jet exactly the same. The only benefit was reduced weight. I wouldn't expect any perceivable power increase with DG pipes, but you will lose a lot of weight if you have boat anchor stock pipes, especially with the CA cats. If you are building a stock motor and have a small budget DG is an affordable option, but if you are building a modified motor, even a mild one with porting, reeds, etc, you really should consider something better than DG. Lomas is a good option and more affordable, but not the best for power. If you have more money to spend and want the most from your pipes Jolly Moto is high on the list. Another option is to talk to Kenny at TSA.

If you have a limited budget you are effectively limiting your potential. You may save 15% but you'll give up performance. You get what you pay for.
Thanks for the feedback. I am assuming this was comparing the stock Canadian model to the DG pipes? The stock pipe on my California model has 3 cats and I recall reading somewhere that the stock jetting is super lean for emissions reasons. I am guessing anything would be better than these stock pipes.

I am not making any decisions quite yet, still researching. and I appreciate your guys' input :)

Questo vecchio rz

#34 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:07 pm

Correct above, the DGs are not as effective on non US RZs, but fitted to your your bike you will certainlly gain approx 10 h.p. Your bike will rip with em compared to stick plus you lose well over 20 lbs!!!
I have a set of FFPs (Factory performance pipe) They were mounted to my RD400 Daytona Special.
You can check, rumors have told me RD and RZ pipes are interchangable, but with modified hangers. I don't like the large silencers ..but being modded is no big deal...
If you like you can have them reasonably cheap..if you can adapt them...but I'm sure someone else here has a fitted set of RZ pipes avail...it's almost impossible that out of everyone here there's no Xtra pipe sets avail.
I sold a set of Canada stockers for $50 bucks or you could have had them..but there friggin HEAVY and ugly.
Buy on 2nd thought why complicate things, just buy a new set of DGs unless a good deal comes up in RZ pipes.
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Questo vecchio rz

#35 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:23 pm

There's a brand new set of DG's on eBay right now for $ 329.00.
that is a pretty damn good price I can't even buy a set of tires for the GSXR for that price
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

brrrappp

#36 Post by brrrappp » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:48 pm

The DynoJet kit is available on ebay for as little as $50 if you find a need to fatten up the stock CA jetting. The kit comes with the Needles, and two sizes of mains.

When you do your carb work make sure to take the Jet-nozzels out for cleaning (Also known as emulsion tubes). I have found that varnish builds up at the base near the main-jet end and sometimes the small holes in the sides of the tube are clogged.
AND the float bowls are different right and left. Make sure not to reverse them or your choke won't work.

ZedSledder

#37 Post by ZedSledder » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:12 pm

Exhaust pipes are consumables. From my experience you run into jetting challenges trying to jet around 30 years of someone elses carbon build up, (when buying used.) With all due respect to others who maybe selling used exhaust pipes. There are “used” pipes out there that were taken off at the dealer, or used briefly then switched out. So, there are exceptions.

Right off the bat Canadian bikes came with a 240 main jet as US ones came with a 230. Canadian bikes were flowing more fuel straight out of the box. Take the snorkel out and use only the red half of a Uni filter you can go as high as 260 main and 27.5 pilot when used with DG’s.

My stock cigars were spitting out the baffles and constantly barfing out grunge from god knows what.(previous owner used xp chain saw 2t oil). I had to change my pipes. I ride down mountain sides and the weight loss with DG’s made the bike handle way better in the corneres by an easy 100%. So I guess it matters what kind of road you’re riding on. With a few tweaks you will for sure add more ponies through out the whole range. They were a great first step for me, very light, cheap, and very easy to tune. Having said that I’m hoping for some TSA pipes or JL’s for next year already. By no means do I regret going for the DG’s.They fit the bill and are fricken cheap$. And look half decent if keep one eye closed which pretty much sums my bike at the moment. My sled gets flogged.
1985 Canadian Rz350. Restored with collector plates. Stock VM26, Triumph Calipers, Galfer brake lines. Brand new DG’s, 260 main, 22.5 pilot jet. Economy pre-load adjusters. Ohlins shock. Oem Banshee crank.

JanBros

#38 Post by JanBros » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:37 pm

ZedSledder wrote:Exhaust pipes are consumables.
:smt017

you can clean them ...
if it runs, you can race it !

ZedSledder

#39 Post by ZedSledder » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:36 pm

Our Insurance corporations considers them consumable. Thus you can put period correct, after market, pipes on and retain collector status. Cleaning a set of cigars is a royal PITA. Usually one baffle is sheared off inside. Not going hijack this thread any further.
1985 Canadian Rz350. Restored with collector plates. Stock VM26, Triumph Calipers, Galfer brake lines. Brand new DG’s, 260 main, 22.5 pilot jet. Economy pre-load adjusters. Ohlins shock. Oem Banshee crank.

kobra

#40 Post by kobra » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:13 pm

I used the eBay coupon to get the DG's for $300 plus tax. The motor will be pretty much stock (just TDR reeds) so I think they are a suitable 'factory replacement' for my boat anchor California pipes, which is really what I'm going for, while gaining some ponies and losing weight in the process.

Hellgate

#41 Post by Hellgate » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:42 pm

That is a smokin' deal.
Cheers!

Pete

'12 Tuono V4R APRC, '05 R6, '88 RZ350, '82 XV920R