Athena 392 kits

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

Headcoats

Athena 392 kits

#1 Post by Headcoats » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:55 am

Has anyone on here gone for the top end kit and have you put some miles on it ?

Banshee forums really give them a bad press but when I try and find fault , there doesn't seem to be much fact :smt012

They make kits for loads of bikes and for some years now so they must have some reliability ???

Please share your experience, good or bad :smt041
Cryin' In The Beer Of A Drunk Man

savethe2strokes

Re: Athena 392 kits

#2 Post by savethe2strokes » Sat May 05, 2018 11:31 am

Use a reputable builder and reseller. Wicked Motorsports comes to mind. they showed a picture of blown up motors that didn't have the proper attention used on those kits. At a minimum the edges need to be cleaned up so they aren't so sharp.

Wicked's kit is not that expensive.
85 RZ350-Messed up wiring

Headcoats

#3 Post by Headcoats » Sat May 05, 2018 12:40 pm

Wicked , er no thanks LOL :smt005

I'm dealing with MBD (Mad Biker Designs) here in the UK

Ironically he is the sole trader for wicked parts !

Was told though any cleaning up needs to be done by someone who knows what they are doing as the plated bores can chip easily :smt022

evan_calgary

#4 Post by evan_calgary » Sat May 05, 2018 12:49 pm

There is a forum called banshee headquarters where you may find more info on the bigger bore kits. Off road application but sure there are plenty with lots of miles on them there. It can be a bit of a minefield be forewarned.

R-Oil

#5 Post by R-Oil » Sun May 06, 2018 4:30 pm

savethe2strokes wrote:Use a reputable builder and reseller. Wicked Motorsports comes to mind. they showed a picture of blown up motors that didn't have the proper attention used on those kits. At a minimum the edges need to be cleaned up so they aren't so sharp.

Wicked's kit is not that expensive.
Wicked use only photos from other failure. Not his own ? I have loads of picture with failed parts from Wicked ATV.

Headcoats

#6 Post by Headcoats » Sun May 06, 2018 5:54 pm

I think you should put some up as some folks still think the sun shines out his backside LOL

Questo vecchio rz

#7 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Mon May 07, 2018 10:12 am

Headcoats wrote:Has anyone on here gone for the top end kit and have you put some miles on it ?

Banshee forums really give them a bad press but when I try and find fault , there doesn't seem to be much fact :smt012

They make kits for loads of bikes and for some years now so they must have some reliability ???

Please share your experience, good or bad :smt041
Here's some basic info on the Athena kits as I once wondered as well, I wanted to know the differences from Athena to CPIs offerings as CPs Cub/Cheetah & Serval are twice
the cost. So I was told this by ( few builders) including Wicked ) It's recommend reworking the kit to allow optimum results. (There were/are two (full time dedicated)Banshee builders on this site that do this. (Yes Wicked being one) so no need to start the bashing crap out of them..yet again... quite a few here have had good results with Wicked..So it is what it is., Rather concentrate on working to better the forum
The kits are designed toward a stock stroke motor, so when stroked with a crank of +4, +7, +10 etc..work needs to be done accordingly.

Stock based Athena kits are set up for the stock stroke and really reworked & ported to get optimal redults.
They WILL work as a bolt on setup but BIG BIG improvements come from being ported for the stroke of the crank used. In addition the Athena head angle/squish design is poor. So the builder should go through the motor and fix these issues as best they can.

What you end up with is a darned good TRIPLE port ,good strong performing motor without being horribly peaky, they still don't deliver power as linear as a YPVS / powervalve motor, but you have a motor that can deliver a (real) mid 70-80+ h.p (depending upon stroke..which is approx DOUBLE what a stock RZ delivers). Anyone who has built and ridden a big bore stroker motor can tell you that it's a night & day difference.
Yes still a abrupt power delivery vs a power valve motor, that can be good or challenging depending upon your riding application.

A stock stroke RZ motor can be worked to deliver fantastic power, but you suffer rideability and longevity. My stock cylinders/stock stoke non YPVS motor in my (Banshee) can be setup to run 80+h.p. which is a F-ing stong motor, when stroked/ ported people are achieveing on stock cylinders 80- high 90 h.p. in drag port trim on alky that's astounding.
But I'm off topic here talking a dirt/sand bike, not a street RZ.

Regardless of the sources, Hope this info helps you out?✌️
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

(F5)

#8 Post by (F5) » Tue May 08, 2018 3:20 am

That dounds like well rounded advice, just will have to take you to task on 75-80 being double a stock RZ. All the std ones I've seen on our dynojet were almost 50 if in reasonable repair.
I understand US ones are strangled but that is dependant on pipes etc.

Build cost can spiral when you add it all together so don't attempt on a budget.
My 496 was done sans budget but since then there's no way I could afford to do it again.
496 Cheetah. TSS PVs, PWK35s, Ignitech, RGV(ish) chassis

Questo vecchio rz

#9 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Tue May 08, 2018 1:45 pm

(F5) wrote: I understand US ones are strangled but that is dependant on pipes etc.

Build cost can spiral when you add it all together so don't attempt on a budget.
My 496 was done sans budget but since then there's no way I could afford to do it again.
Right you are!
I was referring to my home US models.
And I totally get the extreme price of the big bore CPI, I put a spreadsheet together for my Banshee I wanted to go for an stout Serval build it was almost $6,000..and I was leaving alot of things off the table that I would like to have, One can feasibly drop 10k into a Banshee build.
(So back to reality)..since I broke my crank..its........either an Athena or a 4mm or /7mm 421 stock cylinder..I just wanna do most of the motor myself
I sometimes question my performance goals...The Banshee is far more capable than I am, it's plenty fast enough in the open desert.. crashing in your 20s is hard, crashing in our 50s...your NOT walking away. I shouldn't have sold the old Banshee as It had a monster motor...but sold if for enough to buy this one and another motorcycle project.
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

R-Oil

#10 Post by R-Oil » Fri May 11, 2018 5:01 pm

Headcoats wrote:I think you should put some up as some folks still think the sun shines out his backside LOL
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

T.RexRacing

#11 Post by T.RexRacing » Sat May 12, 2018 12:06 am

Dayum
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.
Salvador Dali

Gus the crank guy

#12 Post by Gus the crank guy » Sun May 20, 2018 2:16 pm

I've got back into road racing and built a stock stroke cub right now it's at 85rwhp, but I am building a motor next week for Elkhart Lake and will be a 7mil with Driveline cylinder's, I will let you know what transpires out of these, we have them in stock stroke, 4mill, 7 and 10 should be interesting and I run them on pump gas with 135lbs. Compression so real world