Power valve controller issue

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

bjacobsen

Power valve controller issue

#1 Post by bjacobsen » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:40 pm

Ok, here is a bit of a different problem (I think?). Have a new to me 85 RZ350, have checked out the servo motor and controller per the factory service manual and they both check out ok, problem is every once in a while the servo quits working, no cycle with key. All I have to do though is lightly tap on the control unit and it works normally without a hitch for a bunch of cycles, the the next day, the same thing, nothing on power up until I tap on the control box then works perfectly again.....I’m thinking maybe a bad wire near the control box but cannot find any break with continuity tester. It is my understanding that when these boxes go bad they just quit working period?....any help or thoughts are welcome.
Thanks,
Brett

evan_calgary

Re: Power valve controller issue

#2 Post by evan_calgary » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:39 am

Haven't heard this one before It sure sounds like a wiring issue. Tried opening up the box? I thought they were relatively easy to pop open compared to the CDI. Where are you located? It would probably be easiest to switch out the unit to verify if the problem is inside or outside the YPVS controller.

Zeel would be solution but that is $$ spent.

MK

#3 Post by MK » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:07 am

Could be corroded connector pins. Especially check brown and black (12V and ground).

The other possibility is either broken wires between connector and PCB or anything like cold soldering or broken connection on the PCB itself.
The box can easily be disassembled to be checked for obvious things.
Bye
Martin

bjacobsen

#4 Post by bjacobsen » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:22 pm

I have had the controller box apart but I did not break the control board from the top portion of the box to look behind it...is it fairly easy to get that off of the plastic cover to look for a bad solder joint? I have checked the connectors and they look good and since I have to tap the control box itself to get it to work I think the issue is probably somewhere right around the box or where the wires enter the box or the board and not the connector plugs. I also checked the fuse block as well and all looked good but will double check all off the above.

hondaror

#5 Post by hondaror » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:29 pm

You might want to check continuity of those wires while wiggling them. Sounds like something in the box.
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350
9 1986-1990 RZ350s
2000 ST2
2005 749
2005 749 with 999 engine

MK

#6 Post by MK » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:35 am

You can use a screwdriver to separate the PCB from the case.
Then connect everything, turn ignition on, move the cables and/or bend the PCB slightly. It'll quickly reveal where the trouble starts.

Btw you may be interested in modifying it as you already removed the PCB:
http://l3s9113.zeus09.de/RD350/Manual_P ... cation.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That'll bring you 80-90% of the effect you can have with a programmable controller like the Zeeltronic PPV or the Ignitech STPS.
If your PCB is damaged beyond repair, get a complete all in one ignition and PV controller (zeeltronic.com or ignitech.cz )
It'll be almost the same installation effort at the benefit of additional performance gains (and we're talking about the same or more than mounting pipes).
Bye
Martin

bjacobsen

#7 Post by bjacobsen » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:02 pm

Purchased a used controller and it works perfectly, I am still going to try and trace a broken wire in the old one as I really think thats the problem but at least I know the issue is between the control box and connectors now.

OldTZracer

#8 Post by OldTZracer » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:11 pm

Likely a poor solder joint on the circuit board has finally worked itself loose. More common on the RZ500s but still a pain in the butt to resolve...
"...its a 2-stroke ya twit - Its supposed to smoke..."

bjacobsen

#9 Post by bjacobsen » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:01 pm

thanks for the tips, I will post what I find when I have an opportunity to dig into the controller further.
-Brett