Cryn' Carb

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

LC Cnd
-----
-----

Cryn' Carb

#1 Post by LC Cnd » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:19 am

My Mikuni vv26 choke carb gently weeps - like a Loonie (Cnd) spot of fuel per night according to the news print parked below the overflow tube(s). The carb seat has a new rubber ring, followed Bare's advise to tap a small ss ball bearing in the bottom orpheus to round out any imperfection (did both carbs actually). Carb float perhaps? Miked it out to 21mm and add 1mm up while the carb bowl was inverted as pictured in the shop manual. Did so as per the advise of a 45 yr Yammie mechanic who said this was his practice not found in the tech bulletins. Oh, the carb needles are new. What else can I eliminate?

Hooligan

Re: Cryn' Carb

#2 Post by Hooligan » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:14 pm

Did you replace the float needle itself? I had a set that seemed fine on inspection but continually leaked. A new set of needles solved the problem.

Also rebuild the fuel tap on the tank. Those rubber parts degrade and leak.

I ran clear hosing off the bottom of each carb and routed it up above the float bowl level. This prevents the fuel from pouring out of the carbs and it shows you if the carbs are leaking and how much.
'82 RD350LC in '81 colours, OEM pipes, UNI filters
'85 FZ750

LC Cnd
-----
-----

#3 Post by LC Cnd » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:04 pm

Needles are new from Yambit (purchased the whole refurb setx2) and new gas cap. Thinking it might be the floats althought I tested to see if they would properly float b4 installation. Yep, I have clear lines installed and that was how I trace it to the left carb was the issue (still is urr).

ZedSledder

#4 Post by ZedSledder » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:30 pm

Hey Scott, I'm not a mechanic, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I'd just gas her up , and flog the snot out of her over and over. Only a month left....nothing to lose.
I've had a float valve stick and then remedy itself by me dishing out regular abuse.
I use an inline fuel tap because I put a brand new oem fuel tap on my tank, and the day before I went to Mexico it leaked in my crawl space. The resulting inline tap worked wonders when living with a stuck floater. The bike still ran fine, and I could eliminate fuel spills overnight while figuring it out.
Last edited by ZedSledder on Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1985 Canadian Rz350. Restored with collector plates. Stock VM26, Triumph Calipers, Galfer brake lines. Brand new DG’s, 260 main, 22.5 pilot jet. Economy pre-load adjusters. Ohlins shock. Oem Banshee crank.

ZedSledder

#5 Post by ZedSledder » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:31 pm

I'm going 50:1 interceptor. Way crispier, way less spooge.
1985 Canadian Rz350. Restored with collector plates. Stock VM26, Triumph Calipers, Galfer brake lines. Brand new DG’s, 260 main, 22.5 pilot jet. Economy pre-load adjusters. Ohlins shock. Oem Banshee crank.