Gear Oil for Clutch.

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

evan_calgary

Gear Oil for Clutch.

#1 Post by evan_calgary » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:04 pm

This is actually in reference to my TZR but it should be cross-compatible to the RZ. Have never had this issue in the RZ but with the gearing in the TZR (and likely worn plates to start with) I have burned out the clutch.

Have new plates and springs on the way but wondering about oil. I don't care at all about the 'best' oil at the margin which is where all the bickering seems to start.

It was recommended I run Silkolene light gear oil but not sure where the heck you find this stuff in Canada as most of the TZR dudes are across the pond.

This is a wet clutch and from all regards everything looks pretty similar to the RZ.

What's a decent oil to run in the tranny?

Thanks,
Evan.

justind97

Re: Gear Oil for Clutch.

#2 Post by justind97 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:44 pm

I running Amsoil. gear saver? Or something like that. I'll find it when I get home tonight and let you know exactly what itbis

silverstrom

#3 Post by silverstrom » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:31 pm

An oil thread. This should be interesting :smt003

I have Amsoil Severe Gear 75/90 in all of my 2 strokes. Pricey at near $20/litre, but hard to beat the quality. Look at it from a pay now or pay more later point of view. It is a gearbox, so why would you put 10W40 in it? Buy the best gearbox oil you can afford. The peace of mind is worth it.

I have it in my TZR, RZ500, NS400R and it will be going in my RG500 shortly. I had it in all of my RZ350s.

My Amsoil guy stopped by a few days ago and dropped off more Interceptor and 75/90 Severe Gear :smt038

T.RexRacing

#4 Post by T.RexRacing » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:24 pm

I use Belray Gear Saver in 80 weight in the YZ and CRF. Tried it in the RZ for awhile but found p[lain old 10w30 works best. Easier to find neutral and shifts well.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.
Salvador Dali

Disco

#5 Post by Disco » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:30 pm

I had some slipping and changed from 10/40 to Lucas oil 80/90. Made a solid improvement and finding neutral is easier than ever.

75RD350rider

#6 Post by 75RD350rider » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:15 pm

plus 1 for Lucas 80/90. I use it in all my 2 strokes ....
I love the smell of Blue Marble in the morning!
Tim Steele in Front Royal, VA

evan_calgary

#7 Post by evan_calgary » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:15 am

I hate starting oil threads. Tried to put in the first bit that i'm not searching for the BEST oil, just something that will prevent clutch slippage.

Apparently the TZRs are known to be good at slipping clutches. Haven't had issues in the past with plain engine oil in the RZ.

Think I will give the Amsoil Severe Gear 75/90 recommended by John as I quite value his opinion and experience (and has run in TZR).

Where can one find this stuff?

Heavy Lucas oil can be backup plan if I can't find the Amsoil (not sure I have seen for sale before).

T.RexRacing

#8 Post by T.RexRacing » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:30 am

I forgot to mention I run a full Barnett (including springs) inside a Hinson billet clutch. Hinson will not warranty anything running synthetic. That is why I settled on plain old 10w30 oil as recommended by Yamaha.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.
Salvador Dali

evan_calgary

#9 Post by evan_calgary » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:43 pm

TZR your oil will result in clutch slip. May work for the RZ.

silverstrom

#10 Post by silverstrom » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:38 pm

I ride my bikes hard and have never experienced clutch slipping with Amsoil 75/90 Severe Gear. Never.

Like all oil threads there will always be those that prefer engine oil over gear oil. In the end you get what you pay for and you will have to pay more for the protection and shear properties that gearbox oil provides.

We see plenty of damaged RZ350 gearboxes. Worn dogs, damaged shift drums, etc. That is what using engine oil gets you. 30 years ago, using engine oil was standard practice and gear oil had the viscosity of molasses. Modern synthetic gear oils are superior to engine oils in all aspects and 75/90 synthetic gear oil has the same viscosity as 10W40 engine oil.

justind97

#11 Post by justind97 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:59 pm

T.RexRacing wrote:I forgot to mention I run a full Barnett (including springs) inside a Hinson billet clutch. Hinson will not warranty anything running synthetic. That is why I settled on plain old 10w30 oil as recommended by Yamaha.
I couldn't find anything in their warranty that excludes synthetic oils. That doesn't even make any sense to me..

Here is their Warranty Info..

Warranty Information

All merchandise manufactured by Hinson Clutch Components is guaranteed against defects in material and workmanship for a period of six months from the original date of purchase. You must register your product at http://www.hinsonracing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to activate your warranty. Use of Kevlar and carbon fiber clutch plates will cause excessive wear and will void your warranty. Hinson Clutch Components will not warranty any product that has been modified, or where the product became defective due to improper installation, improper use, or any other misuse of the product. Hinson Clutch Components shall not be liable for any other damages caused by any defects in the product, whether incidental, consequential or otherwise. If your product is defective we will, at our discretion, repair or replace the product after it is returned to Hinson Clutch Components for a warranty inspection. Any request for warranty assistance will require your original receipt or acceptable proof of purchase. Hin
son Clutch Components liability is limited to the cost of repair or replacement of the product. All warranty items will be viewed and acted upon at the discretion of Hinson Clutch Components.

justind97

#12 Post by justind97 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:59 pm

Gear saver 75/90 was the oil I was speaking about in my first post.

Disco

#13 Post by Disco » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:17 pm

I don't think in your situation the brand of oil is at all important. Any 75/90, 80/90 will do the trick. Don't stress.

bitzz

#14 Post by bitzz » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:48 pm

Disco wrote:I don't think in your situation the brand of oil is at all important. Any 75/90, 80/90 will do the trick. Don't stress.
Not any. Must be rated GL4 for the yellow metal in the transmission.

T.RexRacing

#15 Post by T.RexRacing » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:57 pm

justind97 wrote:
T.RexRacing wrote:I forgot to mention I run a full Barnett (including springs) inside a Hinson billet clutch. Hinson will not warranty anything running synthetic. That is why I settled on plain old 10w30 oil as recommended by Yamaha.
I couldn't find anything in their warranty that excludes synthetic oils. That doesn't even make any sense to me..

Here is their Warranty Info..

Warranty Information

All merchandise manufactured by Hinson Clutch Components is guaranteed against defects in material and workmanship for a period of six months from the original date of purchase. You must register your product at http://www.hinsonracing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to activate your warranty. Use of Kevlar and carbon fiber clutch plates will cause excessive wear and will void your warranty. Hinson Clutch Components will not warranty any product that has been modified, or where the product became defective due to improper installation, improper use, or any other misuse of the product. Hinson Clutch Components shall not be liable for any other damages caused by any defects in the product, whether incidental, consequential or otherwise. If your product is defective we will, at our discretion, repair or replace the product after it is returned to Hinson Clutch Components for a warranty inspection. Any request for warranty assistance will require your original receipt or acceptable proof of purchase. Hin
son Clutch Components liability is limited to the cost of repair or replacement of the product. All warranty items will be viewed and acted upon at the discretion of Hinson Clutch Components.
It was in the literature that came with the clutch. Then again my warranty has been vapor for a long time.
Salvador Dali