86 rz pj carb tuning

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

sunray

86 rz pj carb tuning

#1 Post by sunray » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:37 pm

[/IMG][/URL]ImageImageImageImageImage[/img]

bought toomey pipes last year(nice). played for weeks on trying to set it up. found that without a ypvs system i couldn't dial in the 5000 rich zone.

i was running 26 pj carbs canadian, toomey 2 into 1, reeds stk, boyensen, tdr(tried them all), stk engine .030 over, no ypvs(held in w/o), jets 300-185(trying to dial in), pilot 27.5, with factory air box(venturi block in and out, drilled cover and stock. nightmare for someone that had no pj carburators on last pair of rz's . gave up and put the tomey race pipes on the rz with ypvs, 2 to 1 toomey, pj 26, main 240,27.5 pilot, stk or boyensen depending on your needle setting and main set up. bike runs awesome. i still have some twicking but otherwise all there.
going back to rz engine without a operating ypvs(held w/o). used factory air box without the venturi tube assembly inside the air box and a non drilled air box cover, stk , boyensen , tdr reeds(went with tdr in the end), spec2 street pipes, 185 mains, 25 pilot(still need to go down)-raced the bike and ran great other than the part throttle zone to which i will lower the pilots to 20 or 22.5(didn't have them at the time). i also want to replace the air box with tomey 2 to 1 intake.

now i bought chariot billet reed cages with boyensen reed.so chariot reed cage, pj 26 carbs mains___?, pilot 22.5 or 20(gonna try to rid of the flat spot at part throttle-remember no ypvs), spec two street pipes, 2 to 1 toomey intake, spacers(between boot and reed block), boost bottle, stock engine .030 over. does someone have similar set up that can help my tuning time quicker. thanks . never had this problem with the non power jet carburators(fallowed toomey specs and had no real issues.)