+4 crank question

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

ricar

+4 crank question

#1 Post by ricar » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:53 pm

I need to rebuild my engine this winter and was toying with the idea of a +4 crank and 115 rods and am looking for opinions. I am not exactly concerned with peak HP numbers, what I want is as wide a power band as I can reasonably get and a wee bit more fun out of the stock lump. I currently have Spec2 pipes on the bike and PWK 28s in a box waiting for the winter rebuild.

Would I need to run a base spacer plate to raise the jugs or could I just machine the domes deeper into the head?

How much of a difference would this be from stock?
84 RZ. Half naked, SpecIIs, GSXR front end, FZ swingarm, SV rear wheel, trail tech speedo/tach

T.RexRacing

Re: +4 crank question

#2 Post by T.RexRacing » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:04 pm

I believe there are pistons to accommodate the +4 and 110 rods. If you're just looking for some grunt on a daily rider street bike that would probably be the ticket with stock porting.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.
Salvador Dali

L.B

#3 Post by L.B » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:27 pm

64 thou base gasket & a wicked head to suit is what I'm running. 115 rods + 4mm....can't remember what weisco's I'm using? Can look it up if need be.
Guess you could get stock head machined & o ring'd at same time.

slinger
-----
-----

#4 Post by slinger » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:33 pm

For what it,s worth IMO you should never use a spacer for quite a few reasons. Yeah sure a spacer will work ......people sell them ........hell taking the pipes of and watch the flames shoot out of the exhaust duct the engine still works.

It will just work a whole lot better with out a spacer!

2smoke

#5 Post by 2smoke » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:27 pm

Ricar:
I have the same questions......
What stroker options are there for stock cylinders and powervalves?
Street octane fuel. And what parts needed for each option.
Colin
79 RD400F Daytona Special
81 RD350LC
89 TDR250
75 Kawasaki H1 500
77 Can-am Tnt250

ricar

#6 Post by ricar » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:07 pm

I believe you can go +7 but need to trench the cases. With a +4 you can keep your carbs and pipes, not sure about the +7 needing different pipes though I'm sure it would run. I hope to use my PWK28s, I like the smaller carbs to keep some sort of bottom end and the bike is thirsty enough as it is. I'm not looking for a rocket personally, I'm looking for something reasonable. You can bore to I believe 66 without interfering with the power valves but my cylinders have not yet been bored so I'd hate to do that to them or I'd be all over it. You can get pistons with a lowered pin to run with 110 rods and no change. I wonder how the lowered pins would work with 115mm rods and head work...

So what I personally am looking at is...

1) +4 crank
2) Pistons with raised wrist pin
3) Head work

If I am not mistaken timing will not change, lots of guys run advanced timing, so I figure stock should be safe.

I have been told this will give a fatter mid range but no one seems to comment on what it would do to top end power.
84 RZ. Half naked, SpecIIs, GSXR front end, FZ swingarm, SV rear wheel, trail tech speedo/tach

cookie

#7 Post by cookie » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:10 am

I run a +4 crank, 115mm rods, Wiseco 795 series pistons, head machined.

This kit:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/STROKER-CRANKSHA ... d4&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Has everything you need but comes with a thick head gasket to allow for the piston travel above deck height instead of machining the head.
For updates and pictures from the race track this season follow me on twitter @dcracing_tony

seahorse
-----
-----

#8 Post by seahorse » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:26 am

That is bloody cheap for a crank gasket set and pistons.
Did you get the crank measured on a v block before installation Cookie.
The reason I ask is that I saw a brand new out of the box crank recently, measured up with a dial guage she was running outside manufacturer spec.
81 RD 250 LC Hybrid .Widened frame with Aprilia RS250 Back end & Front end, strokd RZ 421, Kennys TSA's, 31KVM26SS Carbs M-360 P-25 ALBA Ndl Pos 3, Air 1.3/4
81Rd350lc resto 2016
81 Rd250lc resto 2017
1999 ZRX 1100

slinger
-----
-----

#9 Post by slinger » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:05 am

Using a +4mm stroke crank will give you more "angled timed area" to work with, and not raising the barrels gives you the ability to change the transfer roof angles. This will allow the "turner" to create a much better scavenging loop, you really don't want the "B" looping over the "A" transfer port as is the case with stock cylinders.

Your still limited to what the single exhaust port can offer, but your gain around 10% over a stock stroke at the same RPM. If you want to rev the thing to 11500k the gains are more.

Simples!!

ricar

#10 Post by ricar » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:46 pm

slinger wrote:Using a +4mm stroke crank will give you more "angled timed area" to work with, and not raising the barrels gives you the ability to change the transfer roof angles. This will allow the "turner" to create a much better scavenging loop, you really don't want the "B" looping over the "A" transfer port as is the case with stock cylinders.

Your still limited to what the single exhaust port can offer, but your gain around 10% over a stock stroke at the same RPM. If you want to rev the thing to 11500k the gains are more.

Simples!!

Hey Glyn, how would the SpecII pipes work with a +4? I hear they like higher revs, but a longer crank will like to spin slower.

slinger
-----
-----

#11 Post by slinger » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:22 am

I'm sorry I really can't give you a truthful answer as I have never used them.

tankslap

#12 Post by tankslap » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:14 am

Hey Gyln, how come you don't like the spacer route?

The Athena top end I did for a RS 421 hybrid was a better bike all round with
the cylinder bases machined to allow the barrels to be lowered.
It is runnig the Wossners with the higher gudgeon pin height (Blaster pistons) and a bit of porting mainly in the auxiliary exhaust ports.

I wouldn't consider the +4 crank if the budget didn't cover porting as well. Just seems like a half arsed job otherwise.

slinger
-----
-----

#13 Post by slinger » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:42 am

tankslap wrote:Hey Gyln, how come you don't like the spacer route?

The Athena top end I did for a RS 421 hybrid was a better bike all round with
the cylinder bases machined to allow the barrels to be lowered.
It is runnig the Wossners with the higher gudgeon pin height (Blaster pistons) and a bit of porting mainly in the auxiliary exhaust ports.

I wouldn't consider the +4 crank if the budget didn't cover porting as well. Just seems like a half arsed job otherwise.
For the reasons I posted above^^^^^ Athena are different as the timings are so much lower than the RZ. Exhaust duration's don't dictate what RPM range the engine should run at.

ststrider

#14 Post by ststrider » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:09 am

regarding the spacer vs no spacer question i have finally got my +4 rz motor back together and dialed in using one of slingers o ringed heads and standard base gaskets.previously i had used rogers spacer and while it worked fine it a little peaky for me.using slingers setup the motor is much more willing to pull from as low as 5000 rpm and comes on strong at 6000 ,it pulls 10000 with ease but its past its peak.the old motor was weak below 7000rpm hit hard and pulled past 10500.good fun but the new motor is easier to live with as i ride this old girl a lot.hope this helps.
Last edited by ststrider on Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aaronmvrider
-----
-----

#15 Post by aaronmvrider » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:32 am

i think the reference is for base plate spacers eg.... 5mm thick .... not gasket thickness.... and using different pistons

??????? how thick was Rogers "spacer"... or was it a gasket... what pistons did you run with the said spacer/gasket.....

i have built both.... with a spacer plate and encountered air leaks as having 4 mating surfaces is a pain to seal... and after discussion with slinger at the time decided to go with gasket

and now run my 4mm and 7mm no spacer... just gaskets...
1 x 4mm stroker rz 375cc 1983
1 x 7mm stroker rz 443cc 1984 (under construction)
1 x rz 500
1 x mv agusta 1000