RZ350 Super Motard

Got a customizing or restoration project? Discuss it here

Moderator: rztom

alexanderdraper

#46 Post by alexanderdraper » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:36 pm

i like your attitude. whatever it takes. lol
was thinking more the other way round. that you would be changing the motor of the aprilia rather then the frame of the rz.

cheers,
AD
Porting&pipes by GPL racing, hotrods 4mm crank,
mikuni36mmTM, zeel ignition, V-Force4, gusseted 86frame, Fz600 swingarm, 89gsxr750 wheels&brakes, Elka shock, fzr600 forks with r6 internals fitted by accelerated tech

Smoker

#47 Post by Smoker » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:23 pm

Last edited by Smoker on Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smoker

#48 Post by Smoker » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:01 pm

Last edited by Smoker on Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Badass

#49 Post by Badass » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:12 pm

Smoker, have you been taking your medication, it appears you are a little out of control lol :smt003 Don't let your neighbors know what you are doing, the villiagers attacked Dr. Frankenstein you know. I think you have gone completely mad, I love it! Thanks for the pics, nice stuff!
Two strokes keep the mosquito's in check!!
1984RZ350 Bought with 2,600 mi. in 1998
SpecII Pipes, Complete engine rebuild, 30's, S. 1 Porting, Clutch, Self ported reed cages, T.D.R. reeds, Fork brace, Steering damper.

Smoker

#50 Post by Smoker » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:36 pm

Badass wrote:Smoker, have you been taking your medication, it appears you are a little out of control lol :smt003 Don't let your neighbors know what you are doing, the villiagers attacked Dr. Frankenstein you know. Thanks for the pics, nice stuff!
I'm completely out of control, but if anything, I'm over medicated. :smt002

By the time my neighbors smell the smoke and hear the thunder of 10,000 beehives...it will be too late. [smilie=rockernana.gif]

RuZty
-----
-----

#51 Post by RuZty » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:51 pm

God I wish I had half your spare time (and spare cash).

Smoker

#52 Post by Smoker » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:14 pm

RuZty wrote:God I wish I had half your spare time (and spare cash).
For the record, I work 40 hours a week. Overtime is always available, but I never do it.

I put all this bike stuff on my credit card, and pay off as much as I can each month. It costs more in the long run, but if I tried to save up money for this stuff - it would never happen.

caetano62

addictions

#53 Post by caetano62 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:01 pm

I think your best bet to control your addiction is to stay off this forum! Just kidding of course. I tried it for a few months. I'm back now and find another person doing exactly what's been in my head for the last two years, an RD motard! I've been following Kazz for some time and love the ideas that have been flowing here. I tried to stay away but here I am. the wallet is getting ready to come out I can feel it. I like the idea of using an MX frame. I'm waiting for Kazz to finish his YZ426 based version though I would prefer an aluminum CRF version. My budget won't allow for the Aprilia but it looks like it'll be top notch. Space is going to be tight. At least yo arne't using a 21 inch front wheel. I'm in Brazil and really want to get mine plated. I may need to go with something based on the original frame initially. Anyways enough of me rambling. Congrats on this great project. I'll be following this for sure.

cheers,
Brian

hellmanns

Re: addictions

#54 Post by hellmanns » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:10 am

caetano62 wrote:I think your best bet to control your addiction is to stay off this forum! Just kidding of course. I tried it for a few months. I'm back now and find another person doing exactly what's been in my head for the last two years, an RD motard! I've been following Kazz for some time and love the ideas that have been flowing here. I tried to stay away but here I am. the wallet is getting ready to come out I can feel it. I like the idea of using an MX frame. I'm waiting for Kazz to finish his YZ426 based version though I would prefer an aluminum CRF version. My budget won't allow for the Aprilia but it looks like it'll be top notch. Space is going to be tight. At least yo arne't using a 21 inch front wheel. I'm in Brazil and really want to get mine plated. I may need to go with something based on the original frame initially. Anyways enough of me rambling. Congrats on this great project. I'll be following this for sure.

cheers,
Brian
You bastard! :smt003 can't you sometimes just appear and let us know that you're alive?!

CRF frame (the brazilian one) I personally think that sucks real bad...
Where is that CR250 that you sent me a pic?!
I can get you through DETRAN with all that mods ;)

Smoker
I think that you already saw my topic at "offtopic" part but you don't have to be afraid of that....
I believe that your wife just ran away from home because you spend too much time on your RZ...

As you can see on this video... LOL

http://rapidshare.com/files/219880231/smokers_wife.mpg

At least it wasn't the S2000 :smt005

on the thread, keep it up...

the medication! lunatic! :smt003
"...It's just like traveling on a plane, but, without that horrible meal... and with the window opened..."
(RD350 87')

ax-racing

#55 Post by ax-racing » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:24 am

WOOWWWW

mad Smoker !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
in a week you find a complete rsv rolling chassis !!!!!

i'm without word :smt003

now we go to pratical argoument

try to pur engine much rear as possible (grinding off a little
protuberance of upper cranckase in rear of engine)
and put it near to contact with swingarm.

think at he idea of suppprt engine in front over the head
i'm not sure that this is a good thing if you jump with teh bike
but for roar/track use i have no problem with this solution
just a little bit complicated to reach sparks

i'll stay tuned on your new project :smt002
Alex

Kazz

#56 Post by Kazz » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:24 am

You might want to get a couple of digital scales and fit the wheels/suspension and most of the hard parts without mounting the motor. Find out where the weight is and move the engine to compensate, if there is room, which it looks like there is. You might also want to look up the specs from Aprilia and see if the sxv's motor is a stressed member, if it is, I would scrap the frame and find something else to work with, keep the swingarm though. Alot of the new bikes use the motor as a stressed part of the frame for stiffness, and there is engineered flex built into the frames these days too. Just something to look into, I would like to see you using the frame for sure...

Smoker

#57 Post by Smoker » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:25 pm

Last edited by Smoker on Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

caetano62

fallen star

#58 Post by caetano62 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:03 pm

Darn I ask about your last project? :smt001 She's seems awful lonely in the corner. It's better to love and lost than to never have loved at all? At least your were kind enough to use a centerstand on her....

Can't wait to see this project to the end. Have you thought about pipes? Up or down?

Cheers,
-brian

Smoker

#59 Post by Smoker » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:58 pm

Kazz wrote:You might also want to look up the specs from Aprilia and see if the sxv's motor is a stressed member, if it is, I would scrap the frame and find something else to work with, keep the swingarm though. Alot of the new bikes use the motor as a stressed part of the frame for stiffness, and there is engineered flex built into the frames these days too. Just something to look into, I would like to see you using the frame for sure...
Thanks, Kazz- The Aprilia motor braces the frame between the 2 upper engine mounts. Since I won't be using these points for mounting the RZ engine, I'll be attaching a brace which will stiffen the frame between these two points, just like the Aprilia engine does.

Smoker

Re: fallen star

#60 Post by Smoker » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:12 pm

caetano62 wrote:Darn I ask about your last project? :smt001 She's seems awful lonely in the corner. It's better to love and lost than to never have loved at all? At least your were kind enough to use a centerstand on her....

Can't wait to see this project to the end. Have you thought about pipes? Up or down?

Cheers,
-brian
I'm still working on the RZ350 Streetfighter at the same time. The local machine shop is fabricating front fender brackets to mount P-clips for the brake lines, rear link with roller bearings & Ti bushings, eccentric dogbones, Ti rear axle, ti swingarm pivot, eccentric chain tensioner, etc. I still have several more parts that need to be fabricated, as well.

Waiting for delivery of the carbon side panels, and the carbon sheets for the electric panels. Next, I'm prepping the fuel tank for carbon, and working on mounting the electricals. Also working on the new attachment points on the frame, custom radiator design, etc. Still so much to do!

Up pipes would be nice, but I don't think there is room. Most likely, it will have down pipes.