RZV500....another project

Got a customizing or restoration project? Post your progress pictures and updates here

Moderator: rztom

Rufus

RZV500....another project

#1 Post by Rufus » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:13 am

Greetings all

Been a while since I joined this forum as its taken me quite a while to find my RZ and finally, it has happened.

An 83/84 RZV now fills a spot in my garage. Rather taty with about 34000km's on the dial and non standard paint scheme.
The plan is to tear into the motor (its not running and the crank(s) has some issue) and get that sorted. Increase power and then sort suspension out....oh and bleed financially thru all of that :)

I will fess up now to being guided by some of the projects I have seen on this forum so will most likely end up stealing a few ideas from some of the bikes on here, hope u dont mind.

Oh and b4 somebody gives me gears about the lack of pic's....err I cant figure that out, suspect I need photobucket or whatever account, yeah?
[/url]

Rufus

#2 Post by Rufus » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:57 am

Ok, found I did have an old facebucket account, so here some pics, if this works that is

Andrew
- - - - -
- - - - -

#3 Post by Andrew » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:47 am

:grin:

Looks like a bood base to start from.

Good Luck
Andy (UK)
RZV500R
FRC
Faster Faster !!!

Rufus

#4 Post by Rufus » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:59 pm

mmmm in the throes of stripping the motor (came in cos it was time to put the kids to bed!) and it aint looking so good. First bank of cylidners off and the pistons on 1.00 oversize, one head has pockmarks from bits of ring from previous blow up and there is PLENTY play on the crank big ends

JungleJustice

#5 Post by JungleJustice » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:00 am

Cool find Rufus!

Where are you - Highveld? Pretoria - Jo'burg...? I just got back to Seattle from a recent visit home! (John-Henry Janse van Rensburg!)

Man - just seeing the GP license-plates on the van and the old registration / license and "3rd Party" discs on the side of the bike, makes me miss home all over again!

So, curious - did we have RZVs back there as a rule or was this a later black-market import (perhaps after I left SA...?)

How are the current numbers / availability for RZs / RDs / RZVs down there? What does a guy pay these days for basket-case? How about for a nice example?

Anyway, good luck with it!
Anything with an engine in it...

Rufus

#6 Post by Rufus » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:04 am

JJ - I am in Gauteng, East Rand...yeah, they make em rough out here!!

To pull on those heart strings some more....its pissing down outside like only the Highveld can despite waking up to glorius sunshine

RZV's - first one I have seen in RSA now resides with me. I go online every day looking for bikes so have a fair idea of what changes hands on the net. I am not hooked up with those in the know so cant say what the underground market is like. I have not seen a single RZ on the road in years and I ride to work every day, covering about 110km's on a round trip.
I paid about 5000 US for this, using 7 to one. Its more than its worth in reality, but hey, I reject most peoples reality anyway.

An RZ will come up for sale say 1-2 times a year on the net. Recent one a few months ago - guy had an RZ350 and 500, both in glass display cases so u can just imagine the condition, he wanted about 17k US for both of them!!
Go onto autotrader.co.za there is one for sale there now....quite tricked out @ R99 K

I need to use the low exchange rate right now to my advantage to order engine bits, any recommendations on who to use stateside?

Cheers

Andrew
- - - - -
- - - - -

#7 Post by Andrew » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:45 pm

Hey Rufus, I'm origanally from Edenvale. GP (Gangsters Paradise)
I had a RZV for years when I was staying there, and it came with me when I moved back to the UK about 8 years ago.

Good luck with the build.

:grin:
Andy (UK)
RZV500R
FRC
Faster Faster !!!

Rufus

#8 Post by Rufus » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:35 pm

Hey Andy, nice to hear from another ex neighbor...this RZ was picked up next door to Edenvale, in Kempton Park.

Its now in pieces scattered from my garage to the floor of my office

JungleJustice

#9 Post by JungleJustice » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:41 pm

Rufus wrote:I need to use the low exchange rate right now to my advantage to order engine bits, any recommendations on who to use stateside? Cheers
Nope - sorry man! I'm in dry-country myself here... The bikes never cam States-side, so I have to order from Canada (which may as well be from Europe – given prices, shipping costs and time to arrival!)

Next time I'm down there I'll look you up; I miss those dark afternoon thundershowers and lightning displays!
Anything with an engine in it...

#10 Post by 78 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:09 pm

Howzit guys ,

I am considering selling my basket case rzv500 .Motor , frame , carbs , electrics etc . My focuss has changed more onto my racebike . I know another guy here in Durban that imports rzv's from Japan , he strips them for spares .

you can email me for any info . nealgreyplumba@hotmail.com

Cheers , Neal
A second a lap ?
RZV 500 51X
NSR 250 69hp

Rufus

#11 Post by Rufus » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:17 am

Hi Neal

Have sent you a mail, let me know if u dont get it as I am having some server issues.

Cheers

#12 Post by 78 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:07 pm

Hi , got it and i have replied .

cheers , Neal
A second a lap ?
RZV 500 51X
NSR 250 69hp