Bleeding the front brakes

General forum on frames, brakes, suspension, wheels and tires

Moderator: rztom

malibu55

Bleeding the front brakes

#1 Post by malibu55 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:41 pm

Just re-built my MC with a factory kit and I am having a helluva time to get any pressure at the lever. Some other posts have alluded to some difficulty getting this syst :D em properly bled. My calipers are not seized and I have removed, cleaned and reinstalled my bleed nipples.

Any suggestions out there?

Gary B

#2 Post by Gary B » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:23 pm

Think like a bubble! I got a tip off here to take the master cylinder off and hold it 'lever up' and pump gently, worked instantly. Put the cap on first though!

I have taken the anti-dive lines off but I still don't have a solid feel yet.

It is possible to assemble the master cylinder valve the wrong way round, I ran a bike workshop and let the mechanics reseal my FJ1200 brakes but it just would not bleed or pump up, I found the problem myself and it bled easily.

rztom
Site Admin

#3 Post by rztom » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:34 pm

Tip.... bleed brakes the best you can - at least so you've got "some" pressure. Top off all fluid levels, seal everything off, and then pull in the brake lever to the "pressure point" and zip-tie it there. Leave it like that to "stew" for a couple of hours, go drink beer, then cut zip tie. Voila - instant top-notch brakes.... :-) (But don't road test till next day.... :partyman: )

Actually, the magic is just the constant, long-term pressure, by zip-tying the lever in that position, that breaks up all the small air bubbles in the lines...

Works for me every time... :cool:

Paul K

#4 Post by Paul K » Thu May 01, 2008 12:23 am

There are hand held vacum generating brake bleeding devices available for under $40.00........... They do a great job, and very easy to learn how to use.

Paul K

Dubsey
- - - - -
- - - - -

#5 Post by Dubsey » Thu May 01, 2008 4:00 pm

I use a syringe and tube to draw fluid from the bleed nipple !

Lynton

brakes

#6 Post by Lynton » Thu May 01, 2008 5:27 pm

You can get a banjo bolt with a bleed nipple in it that you use where the hoses come out of the master cylinder. This allows you to bleed to the highest point - at the master cylinder. You should be able to get one at any decent bike shop or brake shop

Lynton

malibu55

#7 Post by malibu55 » Thu May 29, 2008 10:46 am

I tried the technique of holding the mc with the brake lever upright and it worked like a charm. I have a front brake again!
Many thanks to all for the tips. :grin: