Laguna Seca AHRMA race on Sunday 2023

For those who love to "take it to the track!"

Moderator: rztom

rz500guytexas

Laguna Seca AHRMA race on Sunday 2023

#1 Post by rz500guytexas » Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:12 pm

Two practice days and helped some other Texas boys around the track. Did practice sessions both days before race. Only rode Open Two Stroke. My bike was running strong pulling wheelies onto the front straight. The other race had some seriously fast bikes so decided to save the engine. Stefano Mesa was turning 1:29s on his Kramer. We had 25 bikes in Saturdays race. Two factory YZR 500s, a Suter 500, two TZ 750s, and a bunch of 250s and 125s. I got into the 1:49s in practice and race on Saturday. Sunday had one of the TZ 750s out due to a crash on the cool down lap in the race before ours. Then in Sundays race had a YZR crash in turn 11 coming on to the front straight. Did a 100 foot stoppie and crashed. Minimal damage to it

I had a good start on a Suter that was on the row ahead of me. Had a few pro riders get by me into turn one on 250s. I kept it together and tried to be consistent. I did one to many practice starts so my clutch was slipping. I short shifted and fed power on slower and it made it to finish. Was passed on white flag lap but had motor on him. Passed him and he got back by me. I almost caught him at the line last lap. He was docked a lap for gridding a few rows up and found out he did it both days. Proud to say I took a 5th out of 20 bikes and ran a fast lap of 1:45.7. No reason I can not get a 1:40 if I stop coasting. I hope you all like the race. I will get a good practice session edited with more close action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoOscH3vWGE

rz500guytexas

Re: Laguna Seca AHRMA race on Sunday 2023

#2 Post by rz500guytexas » Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:16 pm

More videos

Open Two Stroke Race Start On Sunday I Am Second Row Left https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2t0eZxkDFU

Here is video of the TZ750 practice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVVUa7J5k9A

Here is video of the TZ 750 race. I am to his right, I look over my shoulder at him https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6NdlHtTDBk

The YZR 500 on front straight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAsMp0cRTMM

smokamoto

#3 Post by smokamoto » Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:22 pm

Enjoyed your Open Two Stroke Paul, it’s always a hoot getting to see the camera view forward, like riding with you lol! Gearing is always a compromise, would be so trick to have different individual gear ratios to play with, as long as someone trustworthy was doing the wrench spinning :grin:.
I miss track days on my RZ :sad:
Do you run a quick shifter on your bike?

rz500guytexas

#4 Post by rz500guytexas » Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:05 pm

The camera mount is great because it is bolted in place and the fairing is solid. I went from a 15/40 to a 14/40. Solved almost all the corners. Especially the corkscrew which changed to second gear. turn 2 and 11 i could do in second but could not accelerate as quick as I wanted. A bit more corner speed all would be good. At the lean angle the camera showed there is 5mph in those corners to be had. And no I do not have a quick shifter. I think I shift the bike pretty fast on upshifts. No clutch at all just matching rpm and throttle. Went thru the bike yesterday and cleaned the brakes up, replace the large seal and oring behind the clutch basket due to an oil stain on tranny cover. Fork seals have a little weeping but will replace before last race at Barber.Felt good to finally ride the bike with the 5th place. And to have 5th fastest lap time against some good riders and bikes. Thanks for watching.

smokamoto

#5 Post by smokamoto » Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:58 am

Excellent!!

Jeff B

#6 Post by Jeff B » Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:24 pm

I sure enjoy watching your videos! I hope someday I'll have the time to learn to push a bike around the track like you do!!! Very inspiring!!

Luther

#7 Post by Luther » Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:41 am

Dang dude your getting fast!
I'll hop in somebody's van to Barber and hope to meet some of you guys in Paul's pits

rz500guytexas

#8 Post by rz500guytexas » Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:00 pm

Please do. They have not opened registration yet. I will hopefully post were we will be parked. Taking both the TZ and the RZV. Going to do the track day on Monday with Nate Kern. Race weekend will ride Open Two Stroke both days and if Saturday is good might do Sound Of Thunder Two on Sunday. 54 bikes last year so I just started in the back. I feel I am faster and depending on what the fast guys ride hoping a top 5. If they ride their Suters or factory YZR 500s they might be a bit safer. Would be awesome to podium at Barber. The track day is always fun. If you stay come down and will have more time to visit. Our races on the weekend are usually race 11 so late each day. That event is so much fun.