Need CAD Advice

"Off-topic" forum for general BS - spout off here

Moderator: rztom

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

Need CAD Advice

#1 Post by Smoker » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:04 pm

I'm signed up for an Engineering class at the local college. Starts in the middle of Feb. It's required to get into the CAD program.

They have 2 CAD programs. One is AutoCAD, the other is Solidworks. I believe Solidworks is daddy for making motorcycle parts, but pretty sure either one will work for my needs.

Then recently, I found out how expensive AutoCAD and Solidworks are. It's too much for what I'm doing. I could pay a pro to draw up my stuff for less money. I could get one at the student price for a year, but would probably be learning most of the time.

Found CorelCAD 2021. Retail price is $699 usd. No subscription. No internet needed to run the program (and I don't have internet at home). Can use it as long as the program and computer function. I think you can only activate it once.

I can get the student price of $49 usd. CorelCAD is supposed to be similar to AutoCAD in operation. Great price, so I'm thinking about pulling the trigger fast.

If it's not too hard, I could cancel the engineering classes. If it's hard for me, maybe the AutoCAD college classes would help. I would prefer to cancel the classes because the times are inconvenient, and I would need home internet.

If any one knows about CorelCAD, or can evaluate it, please speak up. Advice is appreciated. I'll let you know what happens.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Need CAD Advice

#2 Post by Smoker » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:46 pm

One of my main concerns is that I don't see .STP, .STEP, or .IGES files.

I thought those were the best or most common for machining.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#3 Post by Smoker » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:10 pm

Been asking around a bit and got some good info.

The majority of dudes making custom parts, that I know, use 2D CAD- not 3D CAD. 3D CAD is usually only used for fitup design and relation to other parts. Since I'm just trying to digitize my pencil drawings, 2D sounds like the way to go.

Found out most guys I've talked to use AutoCAD, not SolidWorks. Also been told it's usually not necessary to submit a .STEP/.STP file to most machine shops. Sometimes necessary for proper CNC machines, but .DFX/.DWG files are fine for plasma table, water jet, or 3-axis machines.

It'll be a while before I get home internet. So, AutoCAD will have to wait. Will probably grab CorelCAD to play with in the mean time. Can't go that wrong for $49 usd. Will also need to figure out which laptop would be appropriate for Corel & AutoCAD. Another subject I know nothing about.

Cancelled my engineering class for next semester. Really don't want to go to the college twice a week during the day. My 2 welding classes will be on Fri night and Sat day.

MK

#4 Post by MK » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:28 am

Depending on what you have in mind to fabricate, you may get away without a CAD at all.

If you want cheap 3D milled parts the best way is to supply a 3D CAD format like STEP or IGES.

3D printing requires the outer surface divided into nodes & faces like the stl (stereolithography) format.
This could also be done with a 3D scanner but it's hard to modify.

"Classic" parts drawn in 2 or 3 views in 2D CAD usually cannot be direct input for CNC machines.
The operator would have to create a program first which is expensive and prone to typing errors.
And not to mention that in this case a raw pencil sketch on a napkin would do the job, too.

From my point of view the question is not 2D or 3D but more Shakespeare'esk "to CAD or not to CAD".
Bye
Martin

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#5 Post by Smoker » Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:39 pm

Since I'm not knowledgeable about computers, I'll probably end up spending more than I need to. I'm trying to be frugal by not buying a bigger screen, or jumping to a top-of-the line model.

Been searching reviews of laptops recommended for graphic design and AutoCAD. Acer Predator Helios 300 is on the list of several reviews.

Price at Amazon is $1,279 usd. Don't see it cheaper anywhere else. Will probably pull the trigger soon.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-PH ... 226&sr=8-3

MK

#6 Post by MK » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:47 am

Man, you have a talent of making things complicated and expensive, that's for sure.

Buying new from the top shelf is surely one possible solution.

But especially regarding notebooks I'd go a cheaper way. Companies usually lease their hardware and this can be found 3 years later on eBay.
Check out used high-end notebook like the HP zbook 15 or 17 inch series with i7 processors and dedicated graphic card.

(For my applications a cheaper office type like the Elitebook 830/840 G5 with i5 Gen8 does the job).

Generally spoken these business devices have the advantage that they were build in high numbers which ensures drivers & spare part supply. Plus they're quite robust and easy to open/repair compared to consumer devices you'll get in your local Walmart.
At the end this will ensure a longer lifetime.

I have purchased a used HP Elitebook 8 years ago (so its 11 years old today). Threw in an SSD and max memory and it still works fine on my daughter's desk for school purposes.
Had to repair the fan recently and get a bigger voltage supply as my other daughter was using it 24/7 for gaming & discord.
Bye
Martin

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#7 Post by Smoker » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:31 pm

MK wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:47 am Man, you have a talent of making things complicated and expensive, that's for sure.
One of the main reasons I post my ideas before pulling the trigger.

Just wondering if someone might keep me from making another mistake. Buying new, off the top shelf, isn't my preference. Usually happens because I'm unsure about the purchase.

That Lincoln TIG I got recently is another example. I don't know exactly what I'll be welding in the future, so I went big. That machine should handle anything I want to do. So should this new laptop.

Not really concerned about the cost. More concerned whether this laptop will do the job, and if there's a better choice for the money. Both are beyond my understanding, at this point. To answer the question well takes significant knowledge about current CAD and laptop models. Definitely out of my wheelhouse.

My current laptop is crap. Years ago, my beloved Acer Ferrari laptop went down, and my taxes were overdue. Grabbed a cheap laptop to get me through (cost about $350). Been thinking about an upgrade for a long time.

My thoughts on the money? Can't take it with me, old friend. :smt102

MK

#8 Post by MK » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:46 pm

If there's enough space I'd recommend a desktop PC over a laptop.
These are generally cheaper and much easier to upgrade at a later point in time.

3D CAD doesn't actually require a high end graphic that'd be useful for World of Warcraft. A mid range will perfectly do the job.
AutoCad for example recommends this
nVidia Quadro P2000, RTX4000
AMD Radeon Pro XW7100, 8GB VRAM
DirectX 11 compatible

Also the latest generations Intel i5's aren't a bad choice if you need to save a bit of budget over the i7 or i9's.
CAD does not really require a powerful processor.
Bye
Martin

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#9 Post by Smoker » Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:07 pm

Okay, thanks. I'll check out those models.

Since AutoCAD uses the internet cloud, perhaps the system requirements are not too high. For now, I don't have home internet, so I'm looking for stand-alone CAD software. Requirements may be higher because of that. Not sure.

I tried looking up and comparing details from different laptops, and found it too complex and time consuming. A desktop computer isn't an option for me. I'll need to take the laptop somewhere like McDonalds, or the hospital, where I can use their WiFi to activate the software.

MK

#10 Post by MK » Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:25 pm

Ok, in that region a new business laptop will start around 2000 $

So the Acer you found above is kind of good bang for the buck to translate it to bikers slang.
Bye
Martin

Jeff B

#11 Post by Jeff B » Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:15 pm

I know a guy that does 3d printing for a hobby. He told me he uses the student version of Solidworks. He said he buys a EAA membership for like $10. Members get the student version free. I don't know the limitations of the student version but if it's good enough for 3d printing I would think it would do.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#12 Post by Smoker » Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:54 pm

Jeff B wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:15 pm I know a guy that does 3d printing for a hobby. He told me he uses the student version of Solidworks. He said he buys a EAA membership for like $10. Members get the student version free. I don't know the limitations of the student version but if it's good enough for 3d printing I would think it would do.
Thanks, Jeff.

I'm a legit college student atm, so I can definitely get the student version.

Only problem is I don't have home internet and Solidworks is cloud-based.

Other issue is the cost, once I'm not a student anymore.

Still looking into Solidworks as an option when I get internet at home. Wasn't able to order a new laptop last night, but it will happen very soon.

Jeff B

#13 Post by Jeff B » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:37 pm

Smoker wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:54 pm

Other issue is the cost, once I'm not a student anymore.
You could join EAA like the guy I know did. I did a quick search and found this.

https://www.eaa.org/eaa/eaa-membership/ ... rce-center

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#14 Post by Smoker » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:48 am

Jeff B wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:37 pm You could join EAA like the guy I know did. I did a quick search and found this.

https://www.eaa.org/eaa/eaa-membership/ ... rce-center
Looks like that's for Solidworks Maker Edition.

Files saved in the Maker version are marked specifically for the Maker version and cannot be opened by any other version of SOLIDWORKS.

The SOLIDWORKS Student Edition license covers instructional use only.

This license does not cover use for purposes not directly related to instructional classwork; e.g., use with 3D printers or milling machines is not allowed.

My goal is to be able to send my design files to machine shops for quotes and for manufacturing of the part.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#15 Post by Smoker » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:00 am

Damn. Have to read the small print.

Went back to buy that laptop. Thankfully, noticed the small print "Used." No wonder it was a good bang for the buck!

I found the same laptop new, and decided to unload. Fuck it. Was going to grab the one with 2 TB of this and 64GB of that- the best there was. Then I realized something else. Those big numbers are because an aftermarket company opened the laptop and installed upgrades. The laptop doesn't come like that from the factory. Potentially, creating problems I don't want to deal with.

Took a hard left and went directly to the Acer website. Got the only 17" model sold by the factory. Nice surprise, they offer a student discount. 10% off and free shipping (cheapest was $30 usd). So, I saved $200 usd. Total cost was $1,573 usd. If I need upgrades, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Predator Helios 300 Laptop - PH317-55-71YX