Custom Motorcycle Welding School

"Off-topic" forum for general BS - spout off here

Moderator: rztom

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

Custom Motorcycle Welding School

#1 Post by Smoker » Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:02 am

First class starts in less than a month. I don't really know what to expect from the class, or myself. Just going to give it try.

I want to learn TIG, but the only class I can take is "Intro to Welding". In the Spring session, the same class is 1x/wk for 16 weeks. For me, this Winter, it's 3x/wk for 5 weeks. So, I have to do a week's worth of work every day. WTF? And no TIG or MIG. Just O/A and stick.

If I can pass this class, I'm enrolled in the "Advanced Welding" class in Spring. No lecture, just lab. Guess I'll be learning TIG on my own. I'm bypassing the entire Occupational Welding Program because it's almost all stuff I don't need to learn.

Looks like the average time for each Procedure will be 1 hour. Guess I won't be getting good at any of this stuff. As advertised- just an intro. Looks like there's some metal fab going on, too. Guessing Page 1 lasts 3 weeks, and Page 2 lasts 2 weeks.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Custom Motorcycle Welding School

#2 Post by Smoker » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:47 am

Perhaps I chose the right school for working on bikes from the '80s.

Or... maybe not. :smt003

Got it. Minimum of questions. :smt017

Check out the complete instructions for the Puddling Exercise:

TwoStrokeNut

#3 Post by TwoStrokeNut » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:29 pm

Funny about the 1981.

It too bad you can't go straight to TIG, but it looks like there are plenty of fun things in the class you are taking to start with. I'm jealous!
Project bike links: NS400R - TRIPLE THREAT // RZ500 - MOSQUITO CONTROL BIKE // RZ350 - REVIVAL
'72 H1-500/'75 H1-500/'85 RZ350/'85 NS400R/'01 DR650/'07 FJR1300/'18 Tiger 1200

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by Smoker » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:15 am

Got most of the supplies & equipment I need to TIG at home, but not all. Not ready to fire up the torch, anyway.

Trying to sit up as much as possible, with my arms unsupported. Also developed my own training tool for coordination, speed, timing, etc., of the torch hand and filler hand. At first, my left (filler rod) hand was completely retarded. Would just be a waste of materials and money, trying to weld at this point. Definitely making progress, though.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#5 Post by Smoker » Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:01 am

One week before my first class.

Have to admit that I'm scared. Omicron is raging here. Saw on the news (a couple of days ago) that 1 in 5 COVID tests are positive in L.A. County. A test center here in Glendale was at almost 33% positivity rate. Unbelievable, even to the experts.

I've been concerned about surviving COVID because of my cancer, radiation, hormone therapy, etc. Now, after 3 doses of Moderna, I'm worried because maybe I'll survive COVID, but it could cause my cancer to progress faster. Then, I'm fucked.

Still planning on going, but I could change my mind at any second.

Hope all you guys are doing okay.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#6 Post by Smoker » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:10 am

Went to the first class last night. Teacher didn't show. He got the omicron.

So, I guess the minute he's out of isolation, he'll be back in class. Next Tuesday. Very confidence inspiring.

5 week class is now less than 4. Doubt we'll get to the stick welding projects.

That's okay, I just want to get into the next class and do TIG. Looks like no lecture in that advanced class. So, just practicing in the lab. Hope I get to do my own thing. Would like to do some TIG brazing. Also saw some heating nozzles online. Maybe I could use one to color anodize metal with oxyacetylene.

TwoStrokeNut

#7 Post by TwoStrokeNut » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:57 am

They should give you a 20% refund on tuition! Would have been nice if they had notified you that class was cancelled BEFORE you showed up. Like you said, maybe it is for the best if it is just a stepping stone to the class you really want.

Yeah, this COVID thing seems to be raging right now. The bad thing is, I just dropped my wife off at the airport today for a quick flight home to visit her folks. Not a good time to be flying! Will definitely be keeping my distance when she gets back! The good thing is, she paid $22 for a 1,300 mile flight up and $40 for the return flight... crazy cheap. I hope those are seats INSIDE the plane! LOL

Stay safe.
Project bike links: NS400R - TRIPLE THREAT // RZ500 - MOSQUITO CONTROL BIKE // RZ350 - REVIVAL
'72 H1-500/'75 H1-500/'85 RZ350/'85 NS400R/'01 DR650/'07 FJR1300/'18 Tiger 1200

lost1750GTV
- - - - -
- - - - -

#8 Post by lost1750GTV » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:38 am

That sucks

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#9 Post by Smoker » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:25 pm

First welding class last night. Just lecture. Didn't learn anything. Just gave us answers to the safety test and basic info.

I could already have COVID. Instructor had his mask down for the whole class. Said it fogs up his glasses. Small classroom, no windows, door closed. A couple of people wearing welding respirators which filter about 99% - except they have an exhalation valve, so their unfiltered breath comes straight out into the room. No social distancing.

I know too much so it makes me crazy. Got to get through 4 more lecture nights. Lab is more open. Next semester in 4 weeks. No lecture, just lab. TIG lab, and I might be able to do what I want. They also have basic metal fab machines.

Will be melting metal tonight.

I'm not a man of faith. But, I have to believe in myself, and my N-95 mask.

lost1750GTV
- - - - -
- - - - -

#10 Post by lost1750GTV » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:53 pm

"Fogs up his glasses" - I'll vouch for that.
Keep your distance, no need to be close to hear him if he doesn't have a mask. wear your mask.
If getting closer in the lab for personal one on one is going to be an issue for you, you might want to rethink the classes now. Decide your worry level - given your situation.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#11 Post by Smoker » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:18 am

Well, the instructor came in tonight with a nice fitted mask. Too bad he had it hanging down all night. If he could figure out to squeeze the metal piece around his nose, it would be fine. I'll try to find the right words to let him know. Other offenders came in with masks without valves. Unfortunately, at least half the class had their masks down under their noses all night.

On his own, the instructor offered me a work station with just one other person, instead of two.
I already talked to a young dude wearing a good mask and I took the very last work station, so I wouldn't be sandwiched between two.

I also got a Miller shade 5 face shield because my Lincoln goggles don't fit perfectly with the N-95 mask. Only wear it when welding, but it's a COVID thumbs up.

By the time I got to start welding, class was almost over. Threw down my second bead after they called for clean up.

First problem is I need more light. Lost my soapstone line on both trys. Only have an 00 tip to use, which seems big for 16 gauge steel. The tip of my cone was 3/4" to 1" away from the puddle. Tomorrow, I'll use less acetylene than recommended. I noticed the instructor doing it and he had a tiny cone.

Instructor said my beads are no good because he wants concave on top and convex on the bottom. My bottoms are flat. Not enough penetration.

But, not one hole. And some kinda-sorta dimes in there. I'm happy. Need to make 6 proper beads to finish this first project.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#12 Post by Smoker » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:19 pm

Should have said that those are fusion welds (no filler rod). Filler rod is a couple of projects away.

Looking online for some kind of small light I can use at my work station. May have to be battery-powered, which sucks.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#13 Post by Smoker » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:47 pm

Last night was interesting. There's good news and bad news.

The bad news is I wasted my time for the previous 2 nights.

On the first lab night, my torch was so hot, the cone was about 3/4" away from the metal. Past 2 nights, I got no hot flame. I'm searching the torch schematic, looking to see if there are o-rings or something replaceable in the valves. Nothing.

Last night the torch seemed cold again, so I tried my best to burn a hole. Couldn't do it, so I knew the torch was bad. Got the instructor, who figured out the tip was dirty.

Good news is, I cleaned out the tip, and instantly I can weld like a MF!

Did my Corner Joint project. Need 1, did 5. Also did the Puddling project. The portable light I got is great. Will post some pics tomorrow.

lost1750GTV
- - - - -
- - - - -

#14 Post by lost1750GTV » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:24 pm

Not a waste if you can now recognize a problem with your equipment.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#15 Post by Smoker » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:48 am

Outside Corner project lead to a Box project. Supposed to check the box for leaks. Not very consistent because I'm trying different stuff, like circles, half circles, zig-zags, etc. Also didn't tack up the whole box. Just welded one piece at a time. Big mistake.

Definitely enjoying the 4 days a week schedule.